• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Former lap bander, now considering the Sleeve.

Joy Hull

I am a former lap bander. I had the band for 11 years. I had it removed last September. I am considering the gastric sleeve. I an looking for some advice. I will most likely have to pay for the procedure. Does anyone know the cost ? I have been reading a lot about this newer surgery and think it will work well for me. Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Joy,

I'm new to this forum (so I apologize in advance I can't answer your question). I hope you won't answering a question for me: How effective was the band for you and what prompted you to have it removed?

Hi Joy, welcome to the board. First off, as I'm sure you've heard, this is only a tool, so be sure to follow the instructions of your team. This is not an easy journey, but the rewards as the weight comes off is so worth it.

Hi Robbie, the band can be very effective, but it usually takes a bit longer to get where you want to be. It is a tool and you'll have to put in the work, eating right, getting enough exercise, etc. All three, RNY, Sleeve and Band, can take you to the weight you want to get to.

Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Frank

:cool:

HI and welcome

I am sure the price will vary greatly but at the hospital I used the bypass was 18000 and the sleeve was around 15000.

I chose a lapband and my Doctor agreed that it was right for me. Weight has been slower than I would have liked, but due to age and other contributing factors it was the best choice for me. I haven't changed my profile yet but I am down to 171 now. I am just now starting to feel better and walk better. Looking forward to being able to dance again. Whatever you choose remember it is only a tool, you still have to do the work. I love my band and wish I had done it sooner. I let myself get into terrible shape and am so happy to be doing better. I admit, I am a bit jealous of my friends who had a bypass or sleeve and have lost much more rapidly. They tell me at the Center how well I am doing so I am not disappointed with my decision. My family supported the band because it is reversible and they felt more secure as well with my decision. (If truth be known I made my decision long before I ever told them and I am glad they have been so supportive.)

The band worked for me for over 10 years. However, it had caused a lot of damage to my esophagus. I so wished I would have opted for the conversion, when I had it removed. So im now interviewing surgeons. I think I have found the one im going with. Im looking at the first week of August for the sleeve.

I felt the same way for many years. I always said I wished the sleeve or RnY was available when I had my band. However the band did work well for me for a very,very long time. Its a tool, and most people don't have the success they do with the sleeve or RnY. Just don't cheat it and you will do fine. Im going to have the sleeve in August. So excited. Good luck to you. Don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions. I know a lot about the band :)

Hello Joy,
I was on vacation and haven't been on this site in awhile, so I thought I'd tell you about the costs of my surgery. It's funny that I read this, because I just got my final hospital/surgery bill last week. My situation is unique. I was hit by a drunk driver a year ago in April, so although I'd thought about weight loss surgery for years, in my healing process I decided now is the time...both physically and financially. I had surgery in Dec. 2012. Due to the accident, my deductible had been met on my insurance. Therefore, although my bill was for over $54,000 I only had to pay $281!! (I guess that's one good thing out of having a drunk hit me!!) I'm sure the costs will vary by state and hospital, but I hope this helps!
Good luck to you!

Hi There, I had the sleeve on 3/05/2013, so I'm a little past 4 months out. Starting weight 261, now 184, hoping for 159-my normal BMI, but I'm even good where I'm at today. I no longer take blood pressure medication or arthritis medications! I've gone from a size 22W to a misses 10 (my goal was a 12). I'm shedding hair and started a biotin supplement in hopes of it helping. I haven't had any complications, nor did I need pain medication after discharge from the hospital, I did use the topical phenergan some for nausea. I'm extremely happy with my sleeve! I used Dr. Broussard in Edmond, OK and my insurance paid for all of the preop labs, diagnostics, and surgical clearances. I was responsible for my $500 deductible and all the copays. However, I paid cash for the actual surgery, anesthesiology, and the 23 hour hospital stay and it was $9995. Best money I have ever spent because it was an investment in me. My advise? Find a practice that is all inclusive (surgeon, lab, physiatry, psychologist, dietician, and support group is all together), I strongly believe my success is based on their wholistic approach to bariatric care. Lovin' my team!

Back