• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Free 28-Day Meditation Series

Brenda2010

I'm not sure if anyone here is interested in meditation but a few times a year, Deepak and Oprah post a free 28-day series and a new one starts Monday. Here's the link to sign up if you would like to try it out:

https://chopracentermeditation.com/...ign=21-Day Meditation Experience - News201976

Several years ago, these free series are what first ignited my interest in meditation and the pursuit of inner peace and joy. They can be done on your schedule, all you need is a quiet spot and about 15-20 minutes a day.

I just wanted to pay it forward in the hopes that it has the same affect on one of you! ;)

Brenda, thank you for the tip. I signed up but I'm not sure how much good it will do me, I have the worst problem trying to slow down my brain. I have racing thoughts every second of every day. Trying to meditate really highlights this problem. I suddenly feel like I'm trying to merge five lanes of traffic into one.

Any tips from the master?

Brenda, thank you for the tip. I signed up but I'm not sure how much good it will do me, I have the worst problem trying to slow down my brain. I have racing thoughts every second of every day. Trying to meditate really highlights this problem. I suddenly feel like I'm trying to merge five lanes of traffic into one.

Any tips from the master?

You crack me up, definitely not a master that's for sure! I'm like you with a constantly racing mind. In my opinion, I think it does a lot of good just taking the time to close your eyes, relax and make the effort. Even seconds of peace that you may get between thoughts are beneficial!!!

It's a practice for sure. As with anything, the more you do it, the more successful you are. Whenever I catch myself on a freight-train of thoughts, I eventually catch myself, return my focus to taking deep breaths and even counting them. I find that even when I have a session where I don't feel like I was at peace much, that perspective changes once I open my eyes. I feel refreshed and ready to take on the day. Almost like a power-nap. :)

Ack! I tried to do it this morning and after about 2 minutes, my subconscious brain decided I needed to go outside and work in my "garden," which is just a few shelves with beautiful plants on them, many of which my son brought to me from the nursery where he works. Sigh. I relaxed for a few minutes out there but it was not the same. Damn brain!

Seriously, Brenda, this meditation thing is something I have been fighting to try to do for about 40 years, at least. I kind of think maybe I should give it up, because, as I noted in another post, repeated failure of a new habit is really bad for your self-esteem. I have enough failure messages as it is.

But you know I'm not going to give it up. I'll try it again and again and again, always hoping that one of those times, my reptile brain is going to kick in and say Yeah!

But you know I'm not going to give it up. I'll try it again and again and again, always hoping that one of those times, my reptile brain is going to kick in and say Yeah!

It's a tough practice for sure! I've taken classes and read many books the last few years trying to improve. I can't say I'm much "better" at it but won't give up either because I know it's so good for the soul and moods. And it has definitely helped me put things in perspective and maintain my sobriety. I'm hoping it will have the same effect on food cravings as it did with rum. ;)

I'm happy to hear you're going to keep trying, it's all we can do. :)

Back