• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Frozen Turkey success!

KarenWV

Hi everyone and Happy almost Thanksgiving.

My husband and I were given a frozen 16lb turkey. Unfortunately we had no room in our tiny apartment fridge to safely thaw it out, so I checked on the internet to find out how to cook a frozen turkey.

Sure enough I found a helpful site, www.thekitchn.com

Giblets were inside, frozen to the turkey, as was the neck. I cooked it for a couple hours (uncovered) at 325°. I was able to remove the giblet bag. After another hour of cooking the neck finally came out.
I cooked the neck & giblets with onions, parsley, and seasonings in a saucepan to use in my dressing.

After the turkey had started browning, I put some butter and seasonings on the bird, put a couple cups of water in the pan, and covered it loosely with foil. I turned the temp down to 275° and cooked it for about 5 more hours. It cooked completely through to the bone, browned nicely, and stayed nice and moist inside.

I never would have believed that a frozen turkey could be cooked perfectly without being thawed out 1st. So please don't panic if you find yourself with a frozen turkey with no time to thaw it!

Hope everyone has a happy turkey day ❤❤❤❤

Back