• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Fruit

Pat99

I need some input. I had an appointment with the nutritionist about 3 weeks ago and one of the things we discussed was fruit. The nutritionist told me that I didn't need fruit. She actually said no one needs to eat fruit and added that the reason it tastes so good (sweet) was to get the animals to eat it to proliferate it as mother nature intended. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. All my life I had an understanding that fruit is part of a healthy balanced diet. Plus, it's part of the food pyramid, right? So I was wondering if anyone else has heard this since their surgery.

She went on to say that between the protein we eat, the supplements we take, the fluids we drink and the fat we lose, all of this provides our bodies with everything it needs. What do all of you think about this craziness? I love friut and plan on continuing to eat it, in small amounts of course. Except for scheduled blood work I'm done with post surgical visits to the surgeon and nutritionist unless I start having problems. This being said, if any of you see your nutritionist ask him / her about eating fruit. It will be interesting to get their feedback.

What nonsense. Although I read the same thing about veggies....supposedly we don't need them anymore. I will go back to eating them again because I like them.

Interesting, have heard both thank goodness. What I've been told & heard is that we need to eat foods in this order from most to least.

High protein sources
Vegetable
Fruit
Healthy carbs

Now after you east the protein you have your vegies but at breakfast you may want to have the fruit instead.

I'm thinking that as long as either the fruit and/or vegies isn't high in sugar, fat or carbs and you look for fruit say w/more water & vegies w/more nutrition and carbs not from refined sources we should be good.

What do you think?

This is quite interesting. My take on this really depends on our cultural heritage and the way we humans have been eating for generations and the way things get out of balance for us when we modernized. The Inuets of Alaka among other aberigionals of the area lived on whale, seal, salmon for generations and were very healthy given the extreem seasons of the region, I don't think you would catch me living on whale blubber or seal meat but they were conditioned for that, I am sure they did have tubers, leguems, berries and other native plants that was in their diet but a high fat/protien meal was their main staple. The Aborigional Americans in the lower 48 lived on leaner meats like elk, deer, buffalo, and fish all depending on what part of the US they resided in, some tribes followed the heards and others were more stable and moved infreqently having a smaller territory but they all had fruits, vegetable, leguems, tubers and grains they used to suplament their meals.

The Italians have been using olive oil for may generations and it is in just about everything they make in the region of Italy and throughout most of Europe they have subsisted on pork, lamb, beef, foul also supplamenting their meals with grains, tubers, fruits and vegatables. The Japanees have subsisted for generations on fish since they are surrounded by water but also suplamented with fruits, vegatable, grains, and tubers.

I am sure I could go on and on but I would I would have to do more homework on other countries and their culture of food, but there is one thing I know they didn't live on and that is cheese burgers, french fries, instant mashed potatoes, refined and enriched bleaced flour, taco bell, wendy's or the sizzler LOL!!!:D

Our cultures and forefathers/mothers have always subsisted on a diet (I hate that word but it fits here:eek:) that contained protien, grains, friuts and vegetables of some kind (hunter/gatherers). I cant think of any peoples that have lived on just a diet of vegatable, fruites or protiens alone and be able to survive and flourish, please someone correct me if I am wrong, which I happens a lot. I believe that we have gotten so far off track from our natural diets and that is what has gotten us to where we are, fast food has become so available and normal to everyone that we forget a big mac with fries and a soda has enough calories for one day in it thats noy adding the apple pie or whatever dessert they have.

Enough of my rant, I am so much more mindfull of the choices in food I make today and rarely go to fast food unless I know it is somewhat healthy and even then it is questionabl. The WLS is just a tool and if we fall back into the old bad choices it has been shown we can gain it all back. So like Mary pointed out Protion, veggies, fruits and carbs in that order and if we are full by the time we get to the carbs then we can skip it on that meal, but a well balanced meal plan is the key to health and successfull weight loss to a healthy weight. And it is all easier said than done, we all know that:p I still love my popcorn though. :cool: Tom

The point my nutritionist was trying to make in my case was to put protein first (this goes without saying) and to have some low calorie veggies if I was still hungry even though she said we don't really need to eat them either. In my case I got my appetite back early (5 weeks) and was concerned because my weight loss stopped abruptly. I know most WLS patients do not count calories EXCEPT when there is a reason for it. As I explained in a couple of earlier posts, the 800 daily calories I was told to limit myself too per the surgeon and nutritionist was not enough for me to maintain a weight loss so my metabolism was slowing down early. Increasing to 1000 to 1100 a day per the direction of my PCP prompted weight loss again. I was just so taken back about not needing fruit (and veggies) that I had to get opinions from all of you.

Tom-everything you said about regional food sources is interesting. I have heard that in the very earliest days the only available foods were fruits and nuts and that the shape of our hands and palms was evidence that they evolved to pick these foods from plants and trees. If you think about it and if you belive in evolution it make sense because most of the "animals" were much bigger than man and almost impossible to kill to eat.

I forgot Bugs, A very good source of protien and still eaten in some regions of the world. That could have been what we ate when the animals were to big and fast to hunt and we didn't have spears or bows and arrows. LOL! So when you al bite into that apple and only get half a worm don't fret you can get the other half in the next bite:eek:. This has been a great discussion. :cool: Tom

I have a lapband so my diet is slightly different from everyone who has had the WLS's. Still, the way we were taught by the nutritionist was to eat your protein first, then veggies and then fruit but stop eating when you were comfortably full. I know some of the patients carry a knife with them to cut off the peelings from fruit. Some can tolerate grapes and some can't like me. I often eat canned peaches and cottage cheese for breakfast or sometimes pears. I have had apples but I core and peel them. The nutritionist from my classes recommended more measuring of portions, using smaller plates that were divided for protein, veggies and fruit. 1/2 to be protein, 1/4 for veggies and 1/4 for carbs or fruit. It makes sense to me and I use my plate every day. I still try to do at least one shake or smoothie every day and I use fresh fruits like bananas or strawberries in them. It takes me at least 30-45 minutes to drink one. I can't believe that anyone would say fruit is not important but you do have to limit the amounts because they are often high in sugars. I really think that chewing, chewing, and chewing some more is of utmost importance especially with a lapband. Don't know about RNY or other surgeries. I know the plans are slightly different. RNY patients got solid food a lot sooner than I did but the amounts allowed sound about the same when I finally did get solid food. Everyone seems to be doing so good with their weight loss. I knew from the beginning that mine would be slower but I am progressing nicely so they tell me. Thirty pounds in three months is right on target according to the staff at the center. It is wonderful to read everyone's story and I have learned so much from all of you. Joy

I forgot Bugs, A very good source of protien and still eaten in some regions of the world. That could have been what we ate when the animals were to big and fast to hunt and we didn't have spears or bows and arrows. LOL! So when you al bite into that apple and only get half a worm don't fret you can get the other half in the next bite:eek:. This has been a great discussion. :cool: Tom

Yeah-and one of these days I'll learn to keep my mouth shut so the flies won't be able to get in there *LOL*

I used to camp a lot and since I sleep with my mouth open I've probably eaten hundreds of bugs in my life :)

Gosh, I think everything in moderation. There is a big difference between need and want. If you are eating what is required, why not include a few things that you like and enjoy. You used the word moderation and that makes sense to me. I enjoy fruit all the time and I plan on continuing to. That goes for vegetables as well. I am glad that we don't have to get enough in to cover all of our nutritional needs - supplements are a good thing - but we want to enjoy life too. :)

Wow. Now I don't even want to eat anything, except the Myoplex Lite. With the changes in my tastebuds, I have been seriously wondering if my body has been simply telling me what it wants. So far, nothing much. I thought it was odd, because I always loved summer squash for example, and now I can't even tolerate the smell of it. Tuna was once one of my all time favorites, but now it sickens me to the point I don't even look at the 3 oz cans in the cabinet without getting nauseous. All I want is clam chowder, grilled fish, and lots of liquids with the occasional Jello or popsicle. Since I used to love to cook, this has changed me over to gardening. LOL Maybe the changes are for the best. I don't want hamburgers or hot dogs any more, which I always loved, or french fries. So, if what your nutritionist says is true Pat, it appears that we really are simply conditioned to eat whatever our culture dictates. Therefore, why are we teaching the food pyramid to our children? It seems that the more I learn about better health, the more I realize the confusion that most people are in!

My food plan also is protein, veggies, fruit and carbs. Not that I could eat all of them at once. By week 8 I can have 2 oz. protein and 2 oz veggies or fruit. I grew up eating veggies and fruit everyday. I did take one of my client's to a diabitis educator and she recommended 2 fruits a day. She was also specific about which fruits have more sugar in them than others. But this person had a disease which she was trying to manage with diet and medication. I don't think I have ever heard of anyone not recommending a varied diet. I don't think you can get all your vitamins from simply eating protein. I know people always say listen to your tx providers, but I would question this recommendation.

KIM, I grew up eating fruits and veggies every day too. Here's the other thing, fruits and veggies are shown on our post surgical meal plan as being acceptable foods. Sometimes I wonder what college is teaching our medical professionals. Although my nutritionist said I would get everything I needed by eating protein and taking vitamins and supplements I always heard that the best way to get nutrients is through food, not pills.

I grew up with fresh veggies from the garden and fruit fruit from the neighbors orchard, of course we all traded goods back then so nothing went to waste, I agree they are all part of a good balaneced meal plan too, we couldn't survive on protien alone just like we couldn't survive on fruits and vegies alone, but I stand firm on the need for a good cup of coffee in the morning:cool: Tom

Back