• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Frustrated

I am frustrated. my rny was in 2003and everything was great till mid 2008 and I found my <sensitivity > to sweets was virtually non existent.262 to 143 and now 205. please offer words of wisdom, I am trying to follow my pouch rules and my diet selection. I just found out I have low thyroid.

Patti-I love sweets but had to give most of them up when I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes a few years ago. I started eating a small piece of fresh fruit when I was craving sugar. It took a few days but my sugar cravings almost completely stopped. The trick is to keep your favorites on hand. For convenience, fruit cups are great and so are sugar free pudding cups.

Patti - I know you're probably tired of hearing this but the best thing is to stay on the program. I have discovered Russell Stover sugar free candy (mint patties, etc.). They are not low calorie but they take care of my cravings without adding to sugar. Also, sugar free fudgesicles are helping me. I have some sensitivity to sugar, but more to fat. I just keep telling myself that I don't want to risk dumping just in case. Dumping is soooooo miserable!! Just went through it (again) tonight. Every time I do, I get more determined to stay on track with the diet.

janet....

try adding a tiny bit of fiber to your diet. i had major dumping issues...it was a lack of fiber. but ask your surgeon first. it may be too soon. I started fiber about 6 months ago..solved virtually ALL my dumping issues.

take care!

I took about 1/2 dose of Milk of Magnesia last night and it pushed everything through. I Have fiber powder that i sprinkle on almost everything I eat/ I like milk and dfink at leasg 3-4 cups per day. That's good for protein, But I also beleive that if we drink what we're supposed, constipation will not be as much a problem. Thanks for your advice. i need all the help I can get.'

Janet,

I read your comment and I have been going back to it saying each time..OMG, is she really doing that? I didn't want to make you feel bad so was not posting and all the saying that to my husband, he's finally convinced me to say something. Hon, lay off the milk. That is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much. In calories alone you are consuming 600 -800 calories a day. Darlin, that's almost the entire day's worth of caloric intake, not to mention the fat.

Milk contains 3.3% of total protein and all nine essential amino acids, 60% of those amino acids come for the cow’s diet, which brings whole new meaning to “you are what you eat” (or drink in this case.) The protein in milk is high quality protein, however since milk has a high water content protein levels in milk are low.

Type of Milk per glass Protein
Low-Fat Milk 3.3g
1% Milk 3.3g
Whole Milk 3.2g
Condensed Milk 8g
Dried Skimmed Milk 36g
Evaporated Whole Milk 8g
Goat Milk 3g
Sheep Milk 5g
Soy Milk 3g

Please re-evaluate your intake. It may be a good time to visit the nutrionist. I hope I did not offend you, I really did not mean to, but I just can't let this post go without responding. Please keep me posted.

Letrell

I looked at what I've been eating. It's only 1-2 cups per day. It is skim milk made from dried milk. I don't drink it every single day, just when I haven't had enough protein or too low calories. As for the fiber, I've stopped using it since the doctor said I could now eat a more balanced diet. I am no longer constipated so I don't need it. I am so much better off now that I can eat poultry and veggies. The bad part was when I was still on liquids. My info from my dietician said skim milk was 11g protein. That's why I'd been drinking it a couple of times per day. The MOM is gone, too because I don't need it. Now that I can eat real food, I'm doing well as far as my intake goes. I look back and see that when I wrote that piece, I was nauseated most of the time and milk was about the only thing my stomach would tolerate. I've also been drinking Isopure from GNC. It has 40g protein and is a great supplement. The dr. told me, however, only to drink 1/2 bottle at a time as a body cannot tolerate more than 30g protein at a time.

Thank you soooo much for giving a bit more information. Janet, I was so worried about you. It never dawned on me that you were drinking the dried skim milk. ewwww. I'm a 2% and whole milk lover....and I can't drink it at all anymore. I dump within about 3 minutes of drinking it. Goes straight through me. I didnt know about the more than 30g at a time..that explains why when I consume a bottle of drink within about 30 mins I get so ill...it goes right through me. So I take all day to drink my protein.

I should be asking you some more questions!!!!

I used to love 2% and whole milk. But once you get used to it, the richer milk tastes too rich. I went shopping with my daughter on Black Friday, just 2 weeks after surgery (I know, it was stupid). I got really nauseated so she stopped at 7-11 and got me some milk. The lowest fat they had was 2% and it almost made me sick. It tasted like cream but at least I didn't "dump" like you seem to do. You CAN get used to skim, it just takes time. I'm lucky that when I got married 4 years ago my husband insisted on skim milk and I got used to it. Our grandchildren have gotten used to it also. Sometimes I purchase skim milk and add some powder. That makes it taste richer without adding fat. Also, we sometimes buy a milk called "Skim Extra" that tastes like there's more cream in it but there isn't. I believe they added powder also. I do have my incidents. I love rhubarb so I made a sugar free strawberry/rhubarb pie for Christmas. What I forgot is that rhubarb is like celery and it cannot be digested. I didn't eat any until this morning and then I had dumping for about 3 hours. I was miserable BUT it was really good and at least I got one piece. No more for me, though.

janet isn't that odd milk was one of my wortst dumping syndromes foo.d I had to use powdered milk for years. I would mix it wth a container of yogurt usually unsweetend vanilla and wha la good proteing with out the calorier problems of reglar milk. As far as drinking you can flavor you waster with unsweetend flaavors, delicious. good luckatti

nobody listen. everyone is so connected wih adequate food intake the water is forgoten..........64 oz. of water....1 packet of calorie free added. walmart has those back in the fruit drinksecton with several options buy the mix for 2 quarts. It is greart and makeds waster intake so much easier. Besides drink 25 minutes before or 1 hr after and it will have reduced the desire foresweets.. Also buy some sugar free popsicles, tropical and regular and it can help that sweet toth. I am working to gettingnback on track. wt was 215 now 203 wish me lick..patti

feastorfamine, I absolutly agree, water is the most forgoten. I know when I havn't had enough fluid intake, I start getting a headache. I like the surgarfree packets and I will usually reuse the disposable 1 ltr water bottles with the sports cap on them or at work I drink a lot of water but when it is cold out the flover packs help me get enough water. It is so easy to not get enough fluids in the winter because we just dont feel as thirsty when it is cold out. Thanks for the reminder feastorfamine. :cool: Tom

I am more sedentary and I got me a half gal container that is bright pink with a beach scene and I put sugar free 2qtsize and drink on it all day and when its empty I know I have had my water. if I don't get enough water my feet and hands spasm....ohhhhhh ow!patti

Back