• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Gadgets - Electric Blenders

Qaterra

I like my protein shake -- and some other beverages -- as a sort of slushy. It takes a fair amount of power to deal effectively with ice cubes in this fashion.

The Rolls Royces of blenders are the VitaMix and the Blendtec. Both are expensive, around $500. They are, however, real workhorses. And they last. They'll even make soup for you, in small batches no less! No stove or microwave required, just the Blender.

The primary functional difference between the two is: the VitaMix is manual and the Blendtec is computerized. For the VitaMix, you select how long to run it and at what speed. For the Blendtec, you program in whatever it is you're making and the Blendtec automatically determines how long to run and at what speed.

The Blendtec handles ice marginally better than the VitaMix. Beyond that, I find it hard to see any difference.

I'm not sure how old my VitaMix is; at least 10 years, probably 12 or 13. In that time, it has been used - speaking conservatively -- at least 1000 times; more likely, double that. It works just as well today as it did when I first bought it. It has required no repairs, no replacement parts.

Do you have a favorite blender? Tell!

I have an Oster blender that belonged to my mother-in-law. It's at least 40 years old. The cycle timer doesn't work anymore but other than that everything else still works. It has a stainless steel base and a glass container. I've been using it since 1978, the year I got married.

Back