• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Gaining weight gain after 2 months post op gastric bypass

Newme2022

Hello I’m feeling a little concerned about my weight. I had the gastric bypass surgery on May 9th, 2022 and lost a total of 70 lbs. within the 2 months. I was losing 3-5 lbs a week.Then the weight loss just stopped 3 weeks ago. I weigh myself once a week every Friday but the last 2 weeks I got stuck on the same number and today is another week and gained 2 lbs. I’m feeling a little upset about this. I guess my question is is this normal to gain with just a little over 2 months after surgery. I’m still having trouble drinking the amount of liquids I’m supposed to drink, could that be a reason for the weight gain. Also I have been feeling tired and fatigue and haven’t been doing my exercises either. I don’t want to start gaining weight. After surgery I had a good start, I had lots of energy and was motivated to do exercises but now I feel like blah I don’t have the energy.

Hello I’m feeling a little concerned about my weight. I had the gastric bypass surgery on May 9th, 2022 and lost a total of 70 lbs. within the 2 months. I was losing 3-5 lbs a week.Then the weight loss just stopped 3 weeks ago. I weigh myself once a week every Friday but the last 2 weeks I got stuck on the same number and today is another week and gained 2 lbs. I’m feeling a little upset about this. I guess my question is is this normal to gain with just a little over 2 months after surgery. I’m still having trouble drinking the amount of liquids I’m supposed to drink, could that be a reason for the weight gain. Also I have been feeling tired and fatigue and haven’t been doing my exercises either. I don’t want to start gaining weight. After surgery I had a good start, I had lots of energy and was motivated to do exercises but now I feel like blah I don’t have the energy.
1st of all, congratulations on your amazing weight loss. 70 lbs in 2 months is something you should be proud of yourself for achieving. That takes a lot of hard work, and it is only the beginning.

Do you keep a journal or an app that tracks everything you are eating and drinking every day? If not, please consider starting one. I started a notebook where I write down each 16oz bottle of water & what time I start drinking it. I try to write down all my food, including snacks (healthy or otherwise lol). I use it to track my vitamins & meds to help me keep my calcium & my iron at least 4 hours apart.

The top 3 items you should be achieving daily is 64-80ozs of water daily, making sure you space your water from your food 30 minutes before & after meals. Consume at least 60g of protein daily, even if that means drinking a protein shake daily. I am 1 year out from WLS and still start my day with a protein shake - can't do breakfast foods. The 3rd biggie is daily movement. This could be walking, standing & marching in place while watching tv, blasting your fave tunes and dancing like nobody's watching, etc.

If you try to do the above 3 parts of the weight loss puzzle, you WILL continue to lose weight. Almost all of us have experienced plateaus. It seems to be our body's mechanism to prevent us from starving. But eventually, the stall breaks, and the weight loss restarts.

Frustrating? You betcha! But please try not to get discouraged. Trust the process and you will succeed! ❤❤

Back