• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Gallbladder Surgery Tomorrow

Cheyenne

Last Thursday at noon my daughter wanted to make me lunch, but I just felt a little nauseous so I declined. 20 min later I started to dry heave. I felt bad. I went right over to emergency and it was crowded. I waited about an hour for a blood test, dry heaving almost constantly. Then I was sent back to the waiting room, til a room became available. My stomach got worse, I thought it was my gallbladder and it must have ruptured. Seering pain hit my stomach. It felt as if someone poured acid or beach into my stomach. Never have I felt such horrible burning pain. They took me to a room and my blood tests came back. Pancreatitis.. my enzimes were at 10,000 plus, the highest the test could read is 10,000 so my enzimes could have been higher. Normal enzimes are supposed to be 300. I had a 102 temperature. Many tests later.. It was my gallbladder causing the trouble. I have been hospitalized since then waiting for everything to get better so they can operate safely. I am probably going to have surgery tomorrow as long as my anticoagulant level drops down low enough so I can safely have the surgery. My Coumadin level has been going up, not down even though I have not had any since last Thursday but today I got a shot of vitamin K so they think that will bring it down. Wish me luck. Haven't been able to eat real food now for 5 days. Ice chips only for the first 3 days and clear liquids now for 2 days, at least I'm not really hungry because I've been so sick.

May 6th I'm also supposed to have a hysterectomy. Wish they would do both operations together, but they don't want to. Oh well. :(

Gallbladder problems are very common to many of us who have had weight loss surgery, but I would do it over in a second. Even in the hospital everything, every procedure, every test is so much easier having lost weight. :)

Cheyenne

Hey Cheyenne,

I am sorry that you are going through so many problems with your gallbladder. I will be praying for your speedy recovery and I will be praying that the Lord will guide your surgeons hands while he/she is performing your surgery. Feel better soon.

TillieS

Hey Cheyenne,

I am sorry that you are going through so many problems with your gallbladder. I will be praying for your speedy recovery and I will be praying that the Lord will guide your surgeons hands while he/she is performing your surgery. Feel better soon.

TillieS

Thanks so much Tillie. I appreciate the prayers.

Cheyenne

I'm so sorry your gallbladder is causing you so much misery. Best of luck to you. I hope you have a speedy recovery.

I'm so sorry your gallbladder is causing you so much misery. Best of luck to you. I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Thanks LauraLeigh,

I'm just waiting this morning to see if my blood test INR is down enough to be able to have surgery today.

Cheyenne

Cheyenne, I'm so sorry that you're having problems, but glad they seemed to have isolated the problem and will fix it. I think they should do bariatric surgery and gall bladder together as a routine, since it seems like almost everyone who has a GB has problems after WLS.

I know you have been having issues with your GB for a while.

Sorry they have made you wait so long to take your gallbladder out.

Thoughts and prayers are with you...

Cheyenne, I'm so sorry that you're having problems, but glad they seemed to have isolated the problem and will fix it. I think they should do bariatric surgery and gall bladder together as a routine, since it seems like almost everyone who has a GB has problems after WLS.

Thanks so much Karenina.

I agree. This has been a big pain in the neck and they should have yanked it out while they were in there.

Cheyenne

I know you have been having issues with your GB for a while.

Sorry they have made you wait so long to take your gallbladder out.

Thoughts and prayers are with you...

Thank you StinkerBelle for your thoughts and prayers. I am really tired of sitting in this hospital. Hopefully I won't have to wait much longer.

Cheyenne

So sorry to hear this. Did you get the surgery?
best wishes

Thank you CALQL84HEALTH.

Surgery has been postponed twice because my Coumadin (blood thinner) levels are too high. Shooting for surgery tomorrow if my blood cooperates. The third time is the charm. (I hope) :)

Cheyenne

Cheyenne, You have been on my mind and in my prayers. Hopefully you are feeling a little better. At least you are safe in the hospital. Best wishes and prayers for your recovery. Jan

Cheyenne, Just read that your surgery may be today. I hope three is the charm and you are on your way to recovery now. Thoughts and prayers, Jan

So sorry to hear about your experience! They checked my gallbladder when the surgeon did my weight loss surgery and it was fine. 1 year and 1 month later (Feb. 2014) I was having mine out too and well as having a hernia repaired. If it makes you feel any better, I feel soooo much better now, so I hope the same for you!!!

Cheyenne I'm hoping that no news is good news and you are recuperating in your comfy hospital bed and being waited on hand and foot in a narcotic blissful state of mind. I hope that right now all is well in your world and tomorrow will be even better. Speedy recovery. Kt

Hi Cheyenne,

I hope everything went well.

Let us know.

I know gall bladder can become an issue after gastric bypass surgery. I do recall you stating you had issues as well.

When you had your initial operation, did they perform any other procedure?

My guess is it took too long or something like that.

I had an option OK'd to remove my gall bladder if they saw that it had to be removed.

What ended up happening is as they did my gastric bypass they also had to repair a major hiatal hernia.

So, I had two procedures. They don't want to keep you under too long if they can avoid it.

Just wondering.

Anyway, hope you are on the mend by now.

Ralph

Back