• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Gallbladder Surgery Tomorrow

Thank you to all :) for your kindness and concern.

I had my surgery on Wednesday and I am home now. The surgeon said my gallbladder was so swollen that she almost couldn't get it out of me. She had to stretch my muscles on my abdomen. The duct that connected the Pancreas to my gallbladder was full of stones and one was so big she almost had to cut me open to get it out but she managed to use water pressure to push the stone out and she said it wasn't easy and took many tries.

My gallbladder was normal when I had surgery last June. My nutritionists said one out of seven people have trouble with their gallbladder after bariatric surgery but I think the number is higher than that after hearing how many of us on this forum have had problems.

My stomach is very, very sore. Ten times more sore than I felt after bariatric surgery. It took so long to get my surgery because they couldn't get my Coumadin level down. Also my heart rate was between 33 to 50 most of the time and my blood pressure was very low too, around 90/60 a good deal of the time. But I finally got the surgery and came through it well, thank goodness. I was on just eating ice chips the first 3 days that I was there. Then I was on a clear liquid diet the next 4 days. No protein and that worried me. I couldnt even have calcium because the doctor said it would flare up the pancreatitis again. I sure am glad to be home now. I am exhausted.

Thanks again to everyone! I love you all. :)

Cheyenne

Hey Cheyenne, glad to hear that your surgery went well and you came through it with flying colors. I am sorry that you had to go through all of that. I am glad that your surgeon was able to get everything out without you having to be cut open. I had to get cut open for mine and it took awhile for me to heal. I will continue to keep you in my prayers for a speedy recovery. Go get you some rest.

Love you too,

TillieS

Hey Cheyenne, glad to hear that your surgery went well and you came through it with flying colors. I am sorry that you had to go through all of that. I am glad that your surgeon was able to get everything out without you having to be cut open. I had to get cut open for mine and it took awhile for me to heal. I will continue to keep you in my prayers for a speedy recovery. Go get you some rest.

Love you too,

TillieS

Oh wow, you had to get cut open. How long did it take you to heal? This hurts bad enough.

I'm scheduled for a hysterectomy on May 6th also. Hopefully that can be done by laparoscope and I won't have to be cut open. I'm not much for pain. Lol..

Cheyenne

I couldn't do anything for 6 weeks, then after that It took another 8 weeks to completely heal. I still had problems for a few weeks after that. I had a partial hysterectomy a few years ago. They cut me open for that then a few months later I had to have to one ovary I kept removed but, they did that through my belly button. I have a really high tolerance for pain. So high that I didn't realize how bad I was with my gallbladder that is why they had to cut me open because it was about to rupture. Both of my sisters had their hysterectomies done laparoscopically. The older twin did really well with hers. The younger one she had difficulties but, it was not from the procedure itself she picked up a staff infection while in the hospital. She was in the hospital for about a month. She is really well now. You will do great. Take your pain meds they will help.

TillieS

I couldn't do anything for 6 weeks, then after that It took another 8 weeks to completely heal. I still had problems for a few weeks after that. I had a partial hysterectomy a few years ago. They cut me open for that then a few months later I had to have to one ovary I kept removed but, they did that through my belly button. I have a really high tolerance for pain. So high that I didn't realize how bad I was with my gallbladder that is why they had to cut me open because it was about to rupture. Both of my sisters had their hysterectomies done laparoscopically. The older twin did really well with hers. The younger one she had difficulties but, it was not from the procedure itself she picked up a staff infection while in the hospital. She was in the hospital for about a month. She is really well now. You will do great. Take your pain meds they will help.

TillieS

The surgeon is going to try to do it laparoscopically. If it looks bad after she gets in there then she'll cut me open. I thought it might be better to wait a few weeks between surgeries but she thinks it will be okay to do it on the 6th. I just hope I don't regret it. I'm sore enough right now.

Cheyenne

Hi Cheyenne, So glad you are home safe and sound ! Hopefully the soreness will pass quickly and you will feel like yourself again. Take good care of yourself and thank you for finding the time to let us know how you are doing ! Jan

If you can at all try to walk a little. Just like with wls you don't want gas to get trapped it is painful. I will also say the same for when you have your hysterectomy. Hope you are getting some rest.

TillieS

Cheyenne, I can't believe you have to have even more surgery. Get some rest!

Thanks Karenina, I am trying to rest but yesterday I had to have my pre-surgery consultation for the hysterectomy
with the surgeon's assistant and their office I had to go to is 2 hrs away so I was on the go for most of the day yesterday. They do come out to our area once a month but I had to go to the main office, so I was very tired when I got home. I do feel a little better this morning. :cool:

Cheyenne

Hi Cheyenne, So glad you are home safe and sound ! Hopefully the soreness will pass quickly and you will feel like yourself again. Take good care of yourself and thank you for finding the time to let us know how you are doing ! Jan

Thanks so much Jan.. :)

Cheyenne

So sorry to hear about your experience! They checked my gallbladder when the surgeon did my weight loss surgery and it was fine. 1 year and 1 month later (Feb. 2014) I was having mine out too and well as having a hernia repaired. If it makes you feel any better, I feel soooo much better now, so I hope the same for you!!!

Hi Jayhawkgirl! Thanks, I am feeling better everyday. :eek: I'm so glad my gallbladder is gone!!!

Cheyenne

Hi Cheyenne,

I hope everything went well.

Let us know.

I know gall bladder can become an issue after gastric bypass surgery. I do recall you stating you had issues as well.

When you had your initial operation, did they perform any other procedure?

My guess is it took too long or something like that.

I had an option OK'd to remove my gall bladder if they saw that it had to be removed.

What ended up happening is as they did my gastric bypass they also had to repair a major hiatal hernia.

So, I had two procedures. They don't want to keep you under too long if they can avoid it.

Just wondering.

Anyway, hope you are on the mend by now.

Ralph

Hi Ralph!

My gallbladder was good at the time of surgery. I do have an Umbilical Hernia and the bariatric surgeon mentioned fixing it but he didn't because he decided not to keep me under anesthesia that long. Now my surgeon for the hysterectomy says she may not fix the hernia either, depending how my surgery goes.

I am feeling so much better with my gallbladder out and gone!!! I'll get this next surgery behind me, then fix my knees and I'll feel like a new person!

Thanks so much. :)

Cheyenne

If you can at all try to walk a little. Just like with wls you don't want gas to get trapped it is painful. I will also say the same for when you have your hysterectomy. Hope you are getting some rest.

TillieS

Hi Tillie, I have been walking but I haven't passed any gas. I'm weird like that, I had the same thing when I had the bariatric surgery. My shoulder hasn't hurt from the trapped gas with this surgery but it sure did with the bariatric.

I have had doctor appointments so haven't had much time to relax. Today I am going to take it easy and tomorrow I have to go to the cardiologist for a thallium stress test and see my primary care doctor for a follow up appointment. Then Ill be going back to the cardiologist on May 2nd for my Cardiac clearance for surgery. The Pulmonary doctor was supposed to send a clearance but the surgeon never got it, so I have to try to get that taken care of today.

Thanks for your concern for me, :)

Cheyenne

Cheyenne I'm hoping that no news is good news and you are recuperating in your comfy hospital bed and being waited on hand and foot in a narcotic blissful state of mind. I hope that right now all is well in your world and tomorrow will be even better. Speedy recovery. Kt

Kt.. I am on Percocet and it helps a lot with the pain. :) I'm doing pretty good. Thanks so much!

Cheyenne. :cool:

Gosh Cheyenne I hope you are feeling better now than when you last posted. You are so strong and have such a positive attitude I'm sure you'll be able to handle the hysterectomy too. You will feel so much better once that's over too. Just think no more periods, no more mood swings. Guess what!! You're a girl again!! Whoopee! Enjoy your weekend. Best wishes for a successful surgery and speedy recovery.

Gosh Cheyenne I hope you are feeling better now than when you last posted. You are so strong and have such a positive attitude I'm sure you'll be able to handle the hysterectomy too. You will feel so much better once that's over too. Just think no more periods, no more mood swings. Guess what!! You're a girl again!! Whoopee! Enjoy your weekend. Best wishes for a successful surgery and speedy recovery.

Thanks so much Gr8k8 :) Hysterectomy is day after tomorrow. My gallbladder surgery is 10 days behind me and I feel pretty normal now. No pain. The doctor wanted me to have a hysterectomy 2 yrs ago but I declined because of my size. I just wanted to lose some weight first. I really think this surgery and recovery will go so much easier because of my bariatric surgery. I kick myself for not doing bariatric surgery years ago but really the surgery and risks were much higher at that time, I'm sure. At any rate I'm just amazed at how happy I am at this point in time. I owe so much to my WLS. :)

Cheyenne

Back