• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Gallbladder ultrasound may have found trouble

RedMama

After having my gallbladder ultrasound today, they found a fatty liver.
ok, 1.) Duh! I'm a 100 pounds overweight and going for WLS. 2.) Why must I see a gastroenterologist if I'm going for WLS?
So, whats the big deal?:rolleyes:

If you have an opportunity to have your gall bladder removed at the same time as your WLS, TAKE IT. More than likely you'll be going back for a second operation if you don't.

I had my gallbladder removed less than 2 months out from my gastric by-pass..

My gallbladder wad not able to handle and process the rapid weight and fat loss in such a short time..

Had mine shown any issues my surgeon would have taken it while performing my WLS, not 2 months later...

ok, 1.) Duh! I'm a 100 pounds overweight and going for WLS. 2.) Why must I see a gastroenterologist if I'm going for WLS?

I had my gallbladder out a month ago. I had 2 very painfull attacks of pancreatitis caused by the gallbladder before I had it removed. (Also a hysterectomy and my hernia fixed 2 wks ago) I'm back in the hospital again, I had another attack of pancreatitis because they left a large stone in my duct near my liver. My liver enzimes were way up and I am scheduled to have the stone removed tomorrow. The literature the hospital gave me says if I don't have it removed it can ruin my liver and eventually I would most likely need a liver transplant. I had a perfectly healthy gallbladder, liver and pancreas before I lost weight but the body has trouble processing all the lost fat. I accept that beause I very badly want rid of my excess fat.

If you have the opportunity to have your surgeon remove your gallbadder while he is doing the weight loss surgery, I would take it because so many of us have had to have it removed after surgery. Just a suggestion.

Good luck!!

Cheyenne

Wow Cheyenne,

I am so sorry that you are having such a rough time of it. You have had so much going on here lately. You are such a trooper. I hope all goes well with the removal of the stone.

TillieS

They probably want to make sure that you are not having anymore problems than what you are having. I didn't have these problems because I had my gallbladder removed years ago. I am having other issues though. Good luck with everything. Keep us posted on the outcome of everything.

TillieS

Wow Cheyenne,

I am so sorry that you are having such a rough time of it. You have had so much going on here lately. You are such a trooper. I hope all goes well with the removal of the stone.

TillieS

Thanks so much Tillie, it's been especially hard because during all this, I'm not allowed to eat real food or take my vitamins or calcium. I am allowed only clear liquids and some days I had only ice chips and water. This has gone on during the last week straight while they were diagnosing me with the stone plus a good part of the time during my other procedures. I can feel my body craving protein but there is nothing I can do about it now. They think the vitamins and calcium will flair up my pancreatitis again.

Tillie, how are you feeling now?

RedMama, I hope your liver is okay. I hope all goes smooth for you.

Cheyenne

I'm sorry that you are going through all of that. As far as me I won't complain. I have a few other appts that I need to go to before they can give me any conclusive answers. So hopefully all will go well and I will be fine. I am still trying to find my way. I am losing weight slowly but, I am making my was through it. Gaining muscle I love it. ;)

Last edited:
I had my gallbladder out a month ago. I had 2 very painfull attacks of pancreatitis caused by the gallbladder before I had it removed. (Also a hysterectomy and my hernia fixed 2 wks ago) I'm back in the hospital again, I had another attack of pancreatitis because they left a large stone in my duct near my liver. My liver enzimes were way up and I am scheduled to have the stone removed tomorrow. The literature the hospital gave me says if I don't have it removed it can ruin my liver and eventually I would most likely need a liver transplant. I had a perfectly healthy gallbladder, liver and pancreas before I lost weight but the body has trouble processing all the lost fat. I accept that beause I very badly want rid of my excess fat.

If you have the opportunity to have your surgeon remove your gallbadder while he is doing the weight loss surgery, I would take it because so many of us have had to have it removed after surgery. Just a suggestion.

Good luck!!

Cheyenne

Cheyenne,

I am sorry you have been through the wringer.

Gallbladder disease is NOT nor does it have a direct correlation nor is it solely related to WLS.. There is a recipe for each case that involves several factors.

Biliary duct obstruction is not uncommon at all when it comes to gallbladder disease with gallstones... The fact that your doctors did not remove your gallbladder sooner has apparently lead to the issues with your bouts with pancreatitis which in my personal opinion is a bad on both you and your Dr's part.

Some people develop gallstones and others have sludge. As we can see stones have their own issues such as obstruction.

I remember reading that you have had long term and ongoing issues with your gallbladder which was apparently in my personal opinion was not handled and addressed soon enough for whatever reasons.

I have a very dear friend who purposely put off having their gallbladder removed for almost 18 months after being told it needed to be done.

As a result this friend was hospitalized several time for pancreatitis before being stable enough top have the gallbladder removed.

Post removal was a bear due to a stone being stuck in the biliary duct which resulted in another, this time 3 week hospitalization due to pancreatitis.. Now that the stone was removed and the pancreatitis treated, this friend has not had any further issues and is back up and running.

"Risk Factors in Women

Women are much more likely than men to develop gallstones. Gallstones occur in nearly 25% of women in the U.S. by age 60, and as many as 50% by age 75. In most cases, they have no symptoms. In general, women are probably at increased risk because estrogen stimulates the liver to remove more cholesterol from blood and divert it into the bile.

Source: Gallstones and gallbladder disease University of Maryland Medical Center "

I suggest reading the information at the following link as it addresses many gallbladder related issues such as genetics, diet, weight loss, WLS, male vs female, age related and so forth.

I am linking an excellent read on various types of gall bladder issues, duct obstruction, causes, symptoms, treatments, types and diagnosis..

http://umm.edu/health/medical/reports/articles/gallstones-and-gallbladder-disease

Thank you for all the information. I had no idea the gallbladder was such a pain in the butt......:eek:
I got another phone call from the doctor today. The blood tests taken the other day has my sugar levels elevated. So I am becoming diabetic. She made the comment; "Thank goodness your having this surgery." and "I'll make sure to put it in your LoMN."
I also went to my first support group meeting last night. COME ON September!!

Back