• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Gastric Bypass vs Gastric Sleeve

Gastric bypass or Gastric Sleeve

• Total voters
Hello everyone! My surgery is scheduled for July 18th. I initially signed up for the Gastric Bypass…. However after more research I can’t decide if I want to continue with the bypass or change to the sleeve. My surgeon does both and he suggest both. He isn’t pro one over the other. There are pros to each of them as far as I’m concerned… it’s just a big choice to decide since my insurance doesn’t pay for it and I’m paying out of pocket it’s kind of a 1 time thing. I can tell you I only want to lose about 120 pounds. That would put me at 180. I would love to hear how you came to the decision of which one you chose! Thank you so much for any insight!!

I chose bypass because of GERD. The sleeve can make it much worse in some instances. Some people even have to have a revision to gastric bypass because of it. If you have GERD that is a consideration. Congratulations on your surgery date and I hope you get good answers to help you with your decision.

Sleeve didn't exist when I had RYGB in 2007. But even if it had, I would have chosen bypass. You might understand why if you break down the biomechanics. Also, speaking informally, after reading thousands of stories, the sleeve seems less dependable. I believe the majority in this group had bypass.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211023-193721-931.png
    Screenshot_20211023-193721-931.png
    250.7 KB · Views: 59
I chose sleeve because I've seen my mom struggle after the bypass with malabsorption issues and having problems with throwing up food still 15 years after she had it done. Also I wanted to start with something a bit easier knowing I could convert if I had to.

I chose the bypass, for a plethora of reasons. It may have a higher complication rate, but its success rate is higher for almost everything else. The complication rate isn't all that high anyway. And it generally does a better job of curing comorbidities, including gerd, diabetes, BP and cholesterol issues, etc. It has a slightly higher average weight loss both short and long term.

There are several websites that offer the numbers. I'd suggest really looking into them before you make your decision. That way you can determine what is important to you.

I too chose gastric bypass mostly because of a past history of GERD. It does have a higher amount of weight loss. My sister had the same procedure almost 15 years ago and went from over 400lbs to 200.

I am more than satisfied with the results. Although it is a tool, not a magical solution to cure obesity, it is doing what it's supposed to do. It has allowed me not to have overwhelming head hunger as I relearn healthy eating and exercise/movement. Since my surgery in July, I went from 234lbs to 167.4lbs, and I feel so much better physically and mentally. My final goal is 135lbs. Hopefully those with the sleeve have similar success stories.

Hello everyone! My surgery is scheduled for July 18th. I initially signed up for the Gastric Bypass…. However after more research I can’t decide if I want to continue with the bypass or change to the sleeve. My surgeon does both and he suggest both. He isn’t pro one over the other. There are pros to each of them as far as I’m concerned… it’s just a big choice to decide since my insurance doesn’t pay for it and I’m paying out of pocket it’s kind of a 1 time thing. I can tell you I only want to lose about 120 pounds. That would put me at 180. I would love to hear how you came to the decision of which one you chose! Thank you so much for any insight!!
I'm going through the approval process now and my surgeon recommended bypass over sleeve because of reflux, better weight loss, and because I previously had the gastric band, which can cause scare tissue and thinning of stomach and he said it’s better to do bypass because of this. Also he noted that your stomach is left inside you and the procedure can be reversed if there is a problem. The sleeve cannot be reversed, as they remove the portion of the stomach not used.

Hi -

With all the medical issues I had - my dr said the duodenal switch would be the the best considering all of my medical issues. I didn't meet the weight requirement.

I went with bypass. Like many others - I had awful reflux. While most seem to be reflux free, I am not. I still have issues. I still take meds for it. I did however get off most all my other meds. I consider that a win. Best of luck to you on this awesome life altering journey!!

Whoop Whoop!!!!! I’m also scheduled for Monday July 18th. So super excited for us!!! WE GOT THIS!!!!

Back