• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Gastric Sleeve... hunger after only 4 days?

My sister had the sleeve surgery last week and by day 4, she complained that she was desperately hungry, which is quite foreign to me, since with the bypass I am still not experiencing hunger even almost 3 weeks out! Have any other sleeve patients had similar experiences? Any suggestions for my sister? I am concerned that she will quickly "fall off the prescribed diet wagon" and put her physical health in danger!

Being hungry and being able to do anything about it after surgery are two different things. As long she stays with in the soft or liquid diet parameters she'll be fine. The sugar free pudding and broth were the most satisfying. Cooked vegetables (potatoes) run through the food processor also helped me. But distractions such as walking, pets, music etc. will help also.

being hungry is satisfied by eating very little. She does need to stay with the liquids and soft foods until moved to regular food and she will only be able to eat small amounts. This is not a surgery to CURE obesity, it will change how much she can eat and it us up to her to eat the right things!

I had the sleeve one week ago, and i dont feel hungry at all.. I only eat cause i have to. I get full with water and drinks. There is a difference of wanting to eat and feeling hungry.. I been dying for a salad, but that does not mean i am hungry, its just old habits that we are so used to want food that we cant see the difference between being hungry and wanting to eat. And i am sorry when i can eat solid food i will feel better, cause there is so much broth, cream soup and jello we can eat lol.. Hope she hangs on. Its hard we all know but its totally worth it

Maybe the hunger she is feeling is the boredom of the early stages of the food plan after surgery. chances are if she tried to overeat she would get sick. Encourage her to stick with the plan as she will have the best success. There are reasons for the transition of foods. Her sleeve is still healing and she needs to be kind to it and herself.

Back