• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Gastric Sleeve Planned

bab_albuq

Has anyone had the gastric sleeve surgery? I would like to talk to someone who has had it..planning it in next couple months....thx. :)

How are you doing, kcpetree? I have heard the first few weeks are the roughest, but you will get beyond those initial stages, and be glad you perservered! How do you feel? I just realized mine (I'm waiting for a call on the date) will be the BPD(Bio-pancreatic diversion)with duodenal switch--fancy for DS I guess...lol. I will keep praying for your adjustments and feelin' better soon...Through Christ, all things good for you are possible--and certain! Keepin' the Faith, Belinda. :)

its a fairly new procedure but the 2 people who have had it this year that ive spoken with are feeling great and very happy with the results

Hello All! I had the surgery on Oct 26th! I have lost 60 pounds so far! I am feeling good so far, it was def. a struggle for the first 2 to 3 weeks! It is important to just feel comfortable when you transition into solid food!

tell me about the struggle for the 1st 2-3 weeks. ive bought all my liquids... but how did u feel physically+mentally? i probably wont be going out much have to deal w/ my husband,etc hes very supportive but.......

Can you please tell me exactly what you went thru the first two weeks after surgery? I have just been told about the gastric sleeve, but my doctor is pushing gastric by pass. I need to lose weight and a friend of mine told me the sleeve is the way to go. Any info you could share will be helpful. Thank you.

Cheryl and Ken,

My biggest struggle was behavior modification, understanding that I could not eat the foods I wanted to, it was rough. Once I was out of the hospital which was 3 days later, the pain was intense, alot of stomach pain and it was hard to use the bathroom. i would encourage you to stay in bed as much as you can and walk around alot if you are feeling up to it to. During the first 2 weeks, I had no desire to eat or drink, however it is essential to do both. It was hard to laugh or lay on my stomach or even get comfortable in the bed. Honestly, I would not change it for the world, the sleeve was the best choice, they do not reroute anything...its purely cutting off a portion of your stomach so you can not hold as much. I have lost a lot of weight in a short period of time and it is a great feeling.

Mentally, I am going through it now...because I can eat, so its harder now to do so vs. in the beginning of the surgery. It is all about the choices you make if you eat to much you will get sick and that is not fun, throwing up YUCK! Just know that the weight loss does not happen overnight and you will not wake up skinny the next day...you have to work at it! Be patient it will come....I put on dress that only would fit with body suits and it almost slipped right off of me..those are the moments throughout your journey that you will cherish! The pain, tears, throwing up and all the obstacles are worth it, I would not change it for the world.

omg you have been sooo helpful - u sound so focused and thats great! im so proud of you! i am not looking forward to the recovery but i know this is the right decision for me . keep me posted on everything u r going through and i will do the same. its great to talk to someone who understands. ru married? if so how is ur partner/spouse handling all this???

I am in a relationship and my partner has been amazing! She went to all the seminars and became very informed about the procedure and what her role was! I was very lucky to have her during this entire process!

I had the sleeve in 2008 and am very pleased with it. My stomach has about a capacity of 2 cups unless I eat something like bread or pasta then it fills up faster because food like that expands. I don't eat that very often, but since I had the surgery quite awhile ago I do eat those foods on a rare occasion. I had little pain from the surgery but had to take it easy for a few days My exersize was to walk. At first my meal was 5 oz of ground up protein which was about 1/3 cup. I had a hard time to eat that other than cottage cheese which went down easier. You had to have a protein shake 2x a day which worked out pretty good. The weight came off quickly. After about 30 pounds it slowed down and it became easier to eat and I started to eat regular food, not ground food. I am happy with my shape now and wear a size 10-12 and am still losing, although slowly. I am so glad that I had the surgery I can't begin to tell you. I chose the sleeve because of the amount I had to lose. If I had more weight I would have chosen a different procedure. My doctor and I went over my options and I did a lot of research and this one worked for me.

I have the support of my hubby, in fact we are now eating much healthier. We are over 60 and decided at this point in our life we had to make changes and it is all good. He has lost 35 pounds just eating better. Of course I do the cooking.

I had the sleeve done on December 13, 2011. I had a wonderful doctor that performed the procedure and I did not have any problems at all. The weeks after surgery were tough with the liquid diet but was able to manage it. I did not want to drink my protein shakes, but I had to make myself. But not to the point to where I was making myself sick. I have not thrown up any (that is mostly with the gastric procedure). Your body will tell you when you are full, and you need to listen to that. I can tell when I am beginning to get full and I will then push the plate away. Your tastebuds will change. I have never liked coffee or been big on fish and coffee and fish is all I want (that is when yo start to eat).

I have been very pleased with my surgery and my progress so far. Since the first of December I have lost 29 pounds. I have more energy. The only thig that is hard for me now is the remembering to take my vitamins every day.

I would highly recommend he sleeve procedure. You need to do what procedure that will be beneficial to you. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Hi everyone:-
I am having the sleeve on feb 29 very excited, scared. So you can get sick? I was told you don't get sick like RY surgery. It is from over eating or eating something you should not?

Hi SleeveDiva,
Thank you for your response. I just met with my dr. and my surgery is schduled for March 11th but if I want to have it done sooner I need to call the dr.next week. I am leaning toward the sleeve surgery more and more. My dr. told me about the possible dumping if you eat too much with the Gastric Bpass. He wants to have the bypass because it is the gold standard for bariatric surgery but he also does the sleeve and will do it if that is what I want. What made you decide on the sleeve surgery? A friend of mine is going to have the sleeve done too. I sure hope you are feeling better these days. Please keep me posted on your recovery; we can support each other. Thank you, Cheryl

Good Luck on your upcoming surgery. I am having the sleeve done on March 11th. Please keep us posted; I am excited and scared all at the same time too. Cheryl

Hi BocaJan, I also live in Florida and I see you had the sleeve surgery. I am happy that you have had great results. I am having the same surgery in 8 weeks. Who did your surgery? I would love to talk with you. Cheryl

Back