• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

gastric sleeve questions

Megan

I’m at the tail end of my insurance requirements of getting gastric sleeve surgery. I’m starting to get very scared about the possible long term Side effects like nausea and vomiting after the surgery. Also long-term nausea and vomiting if I take one bite too many after the surgery I drink too fast. Can anyone give me their experience on that?

I had my Sleeve on 2/13/2020. I have not experienced any vomiting. nausea has happened and I have a couple of tips and tricks to help me pass the nausea you really need to pay attention to weighing how much you eat so that you can avoid the vomiting. Take only few bites and thoroughly chew your food like 20 to 25 times per bite.

I had my Sleeve on 2/13/2020. I have not experienced any vomiting. nausea has happened and I have a couple of tips and tricks to help me pass the nausea you really need to pay attention to weighing how much you eat so that you can avoid the vomiting. Take only few bites and thoroughly chew your food like 20 to 25 times per bite.
Thank you! It means a lot to me to speak with someone who has had the sleeve. Now that I’m so close to getting a surgery date I’ve been terrified the last couple of days. Is the recovery very painful? What are your tips for nausea? Also I’m not a fan of water but will force myself to drink it during the 6 week recovery. I was told I had to drink a tiny medicine cup of clear liquid every 2 hours. On a normal day I get dehydrated very easily because I don’t drink enough. Do you have any suggestions? I apologize for all the questions but this is new to me and I’m scared. on a normal day I get dehydrated very easily because I don’t drink enough. Do you have any suggestions? I apologize for all the questions but this is new to me and I’m scared

You don't need to apologize for asking a lot of questions. Ask every single question that has come into your head.

In the first place, everyone in this group has probably experienced one or two of your symptoms or side effects. In the second place, there is not a lot of information out there to assist people postoperatively. It's kind of surprising, but you're much better off asking in a one-on-one setting like this where people have had the surgery just as you did.

There is no difference in your nutritional needs if you have the sleeve or if you have RYGB surgery. The differences have to do with whether or not you had an open procedure or laparoscopic, which leads to a lot of questions about gas pain after surgery.

I think recovery time is different. I believe that people feel less pain and have a faster recovery if they have laparoscopic procedure. Any open procedure is a major surgery that requires a large incision, so your healing time is going to be different.

You really need to get into the habit of drinking water. I think it's harder for people to drink enough water than it is for them to eat less food or to increase the number of times they chew a bite of food.

If you use your questions as keywords, you can search through 12,000 postings that are archived here. You will find an answer to every one of your questions you asked so far.

If you are concerned about pain, I think you will find that your fear of pain is bigger than the pain itself. Different people handle different amounts of pain, but if this wasn't doable, no surgeon would send you home with pain that you couldn't handle.

Everybody has a little different experience but we all survive and most of us succeed.

Shiffing Vick's vapor rub helps with nausea. For me it was more discomfort and not pain due gas from my procedure being laparoscopic. Buy water bottles with oz listed on it. Things like crystal light help with water intake
I stocked up on Poland Spring water bottles but I think I’m going to have to get the cristal light. I’m supposed to get the sleeve laparoscopy with just an overnight stay. I’m concerned because I live by myself & don’t have anyone to help me. So I’ll be doing it all on my own other than having a friend pick me up from the hospital to take me home.

I stocked up on Poland Spring water bottles but I think I’m going to have to get the cristal light. I’m supposed to get the sleeve laparoscopy with just an overnight stay. I’m concerned because I live by myself & don’t have anyone to help me. So I’ll be doing it all on my own other than having a friend pick me up from the hospital to take me home.
I’m definitely keeping the vicks in mind.

I like the ones in the attached picture too. Walking and heating pad helped with the gas pain.

Attachments

• imagejpeg_0.jpg
    imagejpeg_0.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 128
So I’ll be doing it all on my own other than having a friend pick me up from the hospital to take me home.
You'll be fine. It just isn't that difficult after surgery. I had an open procedure with a 7 inch incision and I don't know how many staples they put in there or how many stitches they took inside my body, but I could have immediately gotten up and gone home after the surgery, except for the nerve damage that radiated from my navel to my left lower abdomen. That should not happen with the surgery, but it did happen to me. It's very unusual to have the kind of pain I had. It took me a year or two to stop having nerve pain.

Of course, you might have more pain or feel more pain than I did. It's kind of up to your own pain threshold. If you are having a laparoscopic procedure, you will have gas pain from the carbon dioxide they fill your belly with. After they stitch you up, the gas has to get out of your body and it can't go out the way it went in so it will literally go through your muscles and skin to get out, and it's a very uncomfortable process.

Nevertheless, you're having the sleeve which is really not a difficult surgery and you won't really have any problems around your house, even if you don't have help. I lived with a few people but aside from needing help to get out of bed because of my nerve damage, I didn't get a single bit of help from anybody else.

You'll be fine. It just isn't that difficult after surgery. I had an open procedure with a 7 inch incision and I don't know how many staples they put in there or how many stitches they took inside my body, but I could have immediately gotten up and gone home after the surgery, except for the nerve damage that radiated from my navel to my left lower abdomen. That should not happen with the surgery, but it did happen to me. It's very unusual to have the kind of pain I had. It took me a year or two to stop having nerve pain.

Of course, you might have more pain or feel more pain than I did. It's kind of up to your own pain threshold. If you are having a laparoscopic procedure, you will have gas pain from the carbon dioxide they fill your belly with. After they stitch you up, the gas has to get out of your body and it can't go out the way it went in so it will literally go through your muscles and skin to get out, and it's a very uncomfortable process.

Nevertheless, you're having the sleeve which is really not a difficult surgery and you won't really have any problems around your house, even if you don't have help. I lived with a few people but aside from needing help to get out of bed because of my nerve damage, I didn't get a single bit of help from anybody else.
I’m so sorry you had to go through that nerve pain. I’m starting to feel a little less terrified. I really appreciate everyone here who has given me advice & experience.

Hi Megan, First of all, no question is too dumb to ask. The people here are all very nice, have gone through or preparing to go through the weight loss process and willing to help others. I was suppose to have gastric sleeve surgery in March was postponed to April and again postponed. I am now waiting until August. As I am reading your posts and read answers, I realize that I have questions too. Do you have to chew food 20-25 times for the rest of your life or just while the stomach is healing. Also, is the water requirement for life or just the first year or so. Thank you again. I was finished with all my Dr and nutrition appts, so I won't be seeing them again until after my surgery.

Water and chewing food thoroughly are crucial for the rest of your life. Megan, I took care of everything myself after surgery. You will be able to do it with no problem.
Thank you! I’ve been so scared about the whole thing lately because it’s getting closer. How do I know the difference between being normal scared & the kind of scared that says I could be making the wrong decision? I’m terrified but am unhappy with the way I look & feel physically. Not to mention that I’d like to be healthier.

I watched a video/blog/snapchat thingy of Will Smith recently. He made the point that the feeling of overwhelming joy and accomplishment doesn't come without the feeling of fear and uncertainty first. It is a big choice you have made and because there is a potential for a bad outcome, you get nervous and afraid. It is completely natural. But once you are on the other side, you will get to experience the satisfaction of knowing you made the right decision and experiencing the overwhelming good feelings that come with it. Have you ever done something exhilarating like skydiving, bungee jumping, or anything else that was scary for you? Leading up to it, your nerves are a complete mess! But then the feeling after you have done it is intoxicating and will keep you going and give you the proud feeling that you accomplished whatever you set out to do. This is the same. It will not be immediate, I mean when you are falling from a plane and still have yet to open your parachute, I am sure you are terrified.... btw I really want to do this lol). But once you are on the other side and have completed the jump and landed safely (or maybe right after the chute opens) you have that satisfied feeling in knowing you made the right decision and the euphoria is mixed in with it. That is what being scared will lead toward.

Both the types of scared that you described above are the same. It is all in how you let it control you. Normal scared means you continue with your journey because you have faith in your decision making ability and you know it is best for you. The type of scared that says you could be making the wrong decision means that you are letting the fear control you in that moment. You have been clear headed and made this decision while thinking logically and knowing you are doing what is best for you. Don't let all of your preplanning and hard work fall away because of the fear you are experiencing now. Your will is stronger than your fear and you will come through this happier than you can imagine.

Hi Megan, First of all, no question is too dumb to ask. The people here are all very nice, have gone through or preparing to go through the weight loss process and willing to help others. I was suppose to have gastric sleeve surgery in March was postponed to April and again postponed. I am now waiting until August. As I am reading your posts and read answers, I realize that I have questions too. Do you have to chew food 20-25 times for the rest of your life or just while the stomach is healing. Also, is the water requirement for life or just the first year or so. Thank you again. I was finished with all my Dr and nutrition appts, so I won't be seeing them again until after my surgery.
Roseanne, I haven’t had my surgery yet but from what my surgeon has told me we have to chew 20-25 times for the rest of our lives or until we figure out how our “new stomach” handles food & beverages.

I watched a video/blog/snapchat thingy of Will Smith recently.
I am so glad to hear you mention Will Smith here. I don't know if very many people actually know he is an amazing motivational speaker and frequently leads seminars on any subject that results in success or failure. I have one of his books and I do not find as much energy there but he is truly awesome. I really recommend that people who need a little bit of a lift find one of Will's videos and listen to the man. He is brilliant. And he actually did come from a long way to get where he is.

And he's one of 10 prominent actors listed who have never received an Oscar although they have been nominated many times and if I could make the list you would know who I was talking about and you would see how a logical it is that they didn't win. I think especially for Will not to win for "Ali," there's something really wrong there.

No grudges on his part though. He just keeps going on and keeps making more money and more movies and music and having more success and more happiness in his life. He is a great role model.

Back