• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Gastric Sleeve "Reset"

MerryMary

Hello, everyone! My story probably isn't much different than a lot of people's who are struggling......I had the surgery when I was single, and made my health and losing weight a priority. I worked out, I measured EVERYTHING....and I lost about 200 pounds. Then.....when I thought I was happy....I got even happier. I met my husband! We hit it off instantly....and one of the things we loved doing together was going out....especially trying new restaurants and foods......and then I think you can probably guess what happened then! I couldn't stop cooking and baking and indulging in all the great stuff I ate pre-surgery. Bye bye measuring, hello cookies! (And pop....oh yummy fizzy pop!) Since I met hubby at the end of 2015, I have gained back around 100 pounds. The tummy still doesn't hold much food....so when we go out to eat I get full very quickly, but within a couple hours it empties out and I'm hungry all over again! Can anyone relate to this? Oh, and I drink pop and all that great stuff WITH my meals....I am the poster child of what NOT to do after surgery!

I've developed some osteoarthritis in one of my knees....and of course, the Dr. says, "Losing weight will help." So I got online and have been reading about "resetting" your stomach. I started yesterday. I'll admit, switching to a clear fluid diet and quitting all the yummies cold turkey made me a bit cranky yesterday....but today I actually got to eat soft noodles with my chicken broth (oh joy!) and pudding....and honestly, who doesn't like pudding???? I have a week of this fluid/soft diet, and then my stomach should be back to or close to the size it was just after surgery. I'm back on the vitamins, and keeping the food logs, etc. My hubby is being very supportive....he's never had the surgery, but he has suffered from my love of cooking and baking, for sure, and is cutting down also. Once I get back on "normal" food, he will eat what I do.

Wondering if anyone else has or is going through this same thing? I don't regret having the surgery one single bit. I kick myself for letting my old habits creep back in....but I'm gonna try my darndest to fix it. Would love to hear any stories, advice, etc.....

My name is Mary, and I am addicted to food.......sigh.....

Hi Mary and welcome! I’m only a few months out from my gastric bypass, so I have had to do the reset. I did do back to liquids and soft food for a few days after a stomach issue but nothing to reset things. This might be a good time for you to think about how you can still enjoy foods and going out while living within the parameters of the protein needs. I haven’t been out to a restaurant for almost a year now, but we’ve ordered in. I’m not going to lie I’ve been a little jealous of the foods my family is eating, but when I make my food choices I’m really thankful for the delicious things that I get to chose. I have had Chinese, pizza, and steak house foods. I’m just really careful about what I eat, admittedly I’ve had an onion ring or two from my favorite place for them, but that’s after I eat a couple oz of steak first. Happy you found the group and I’m sure you’ll be successful!

Welcome Mary! I can relate to regain as I had that happen to me after lapband surgery. I had a revision to VSG last June. Yes, I am addicted to food as well, so you are not alone. It's good that your husband is supportive, he might enjoy you trying new healthier recipes. Food doesn't have to be boring when it is healthier. Have fun with it and experiment!

Hello, everyone! My story probably isn't much different than a lot of people's who are struggling......I had the surgery when I was single, and made my health and losing weight a priority. I worked out, I measured EVERYTHING....and I lost about 200 pounds. Then.....when I thought I was happy....I got even happier. I met my husband! We hit it off instantly....and one of the things we loved doing together was going out....especially trying new restaurants and foods......and then I think you can probably guess what happened then! I couldn't stop cooking and baking and indulging in all the great stuff I ate pre-surgery. Bye bye measuring, hello cookies! (And pop....oh yummy fizzy pop!) Since I met hubby at the end of 2015, I have gained back around 100 pounds. The tummy still doesn't hold much food....so when we go out to eat I get full very quickly, but within a couple hours it empties out and I'm hungry all over again! Can anyone relate to this? Oh, and I drink pop and all that great stuff WITH my meals....I am the poster child of what NOT to do after surgery!

I've developed some osteoarthritis in one of my knees....and of course, the Dr. says, "Losing weight will help." So I got online and have been reading about "resetting" your stomach. I started yesterday. I'll admit, switching to a clear fluid diet and quitting all the yummies cold turkey made me a bit cranky yesterday....but today I actually got to eat soft noodles with my chicken broth (oh joy!) and pudding....and honestly, who doesn't like pudding???? I have a week of this fluid/soft diet, and then my stomach should be back to or close to the size it was just after surgery. I'm back on the vitamins, and keeping the food logs, etc. My hubby is being very supportive....he's never had the surgery, but he has suffered from my love of cooking and baking, for sure, and is cutting down also. Once I get back on "normal" food, he will eat what I do.

Wondering if anyone else has or is going through this same thing? I don't regret having the surgery one single bit. I kick myself for letting my old habits creep back in....but I'm gonna try my darndest to fix it. Would love to hear any stories, advice, etc.....

My name is Mary, and I am addicted to food.......sigh.....
I am experiencing same crappy bad habits taking over! I'm post-op 2013. Lost down to my goal of 140 and I'm now getting too close for comfort to 200. Moved to South Carolina and took sedentary job because I'm too old for manual labor! Depressing and painful. Had 2 back surgeries within 18 months and can't get back on track.

I am experiencing same crappy bad habits taking over! I'm post-op 2013. Lost down to my goal of 140 and I'm now getting too close for comfort to 200. Moved to South Carolina and took sedentary job because I'm too old for manual labor! Depressing and painful. Had 2 back surgeries within 18 months and can't get back on track.
So sorry to hear that you are struggling to get back on track. I hope this group will inspire you to get on the right path again.

It sounds like you're doing the right things by going back to the basics. Measuring and logging your food will let you know where you're at and where you need to be. Meal prep can really keep you on track as well. Good luck and welcome to the group.

I know exactly how you feel. I had emergency surgery Aug. 2018, I was at my lowest then 206 lb, and feeling great because I was still maintaining my good eating habits and working out regularly. The surgery sent me into depression (that is a chat for another day) and I began to lose my way. Since then I have gained steadily, I'm up 45 lbs. I have been feeling so bad about myself, but also physically. So I made a decision to do a 2-week reset and today is DAY 1. I need this! I know I can do it! I've done it once and I can get there again! You can too!

Obviously, I have only been at this a short period of time compared to many others, but I believe there has to be more action taken than a "reset." I'm not saying there aren't some benefits that might be realized by a reset, but it can't be the only step taken.

The greatest benefit from the surgery isn't the small stomach size, it's the temporary hormonal changes that allow a person to lose fat without your brain sending signals to eat more or slowing down your metabolism. You won't get that from a stomach reset. It's more of a cleansing than a reset, and I understand some people may feel a bit more "restriction" again, which has some benefits, but the bottom line is, you have to choose the right foods in the right amounts.

A stomach reset isn't going to help you manage your choices with food, as you've said, you still can't eat that much, but you are hungry again soon...simple carbs, sugar, processed foods, artificial sweeteners can all lead to insulin spikes and hunger stimulation. No matter what you do with your stomach, eating those foods will continue to make you feel hungry and want to eat more.

I know it isn't easy. Food can be a very powerful drug. When you do the reset and you start eating regular food again, make sure your new "regular" are healthy choices and leave the special things for special occasions. That is easier said that done, of course. It's a battle most of us are very familiar with. I would encourage you to do a lot of planning and making sure you have the right foods available to you at all times and removing the tempting foods from your house, at least for a while. Take a break from eating out, focus on building new habits, etc.

I think we all need to be mindful that we are all sort of "living on the edge" when it comes to food choices. We have years of poor choices, addictive behavior, bad food, and on and on. We are going to cary parts of that around for the rest of our lives just like any other disease or addiction. We have to be actively conscious and deliberate to keep up the fight, and that isn't easy.

Lastly, be willing to forgive yourself for anything that makes you feel guilty about the choices you've made. Give yourself some mercy and grace. This is hard. Life is hard. Temptation is hard. It's okay to learn from it and move forward, but don't carry the guilt. We are human and inescapably fallible. Praise yourself for taking a positive step and working to get back on track. Plan out good choices as you move forward. Forgive, Praise, Plan.

You can do this.

This.

20210427_124408.png

The greatest benefit from the surgery isn't the small stomach size, it's the temporary hormonal changes that allow a person to lose fat without your brain sending signals to eat more or slowing down your metabolism.

This, this 100 times THIS!! This is the reason that surgery is so often successful, when "dieting" is not. It is extremely difficult to maintain weight loss without surgery, due to those hormones and your higher "reset" weight. Your brain decides you're supposed to be X amount of pounds and gives off hunger hormones until you feel like you are literally starving 24/7. Very, very few people have the willpower to ignore that feeling for weeks, months, or YEARS, and end up putting the weight back on. Somehow WLS resets those signals, allowing us the opportunity to start fresh. That fresh start has to come with a positive, new relationship to and with food.

Back