• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

GERD

I am new to this forum :) I am planning on having VSG and and am currently going through the pre op program. I have moderate GERD that I have been controlling with protonix for a very long time now. My surgical team does not seem to be too concerned and my EGD did not show anything abnormal. Is VSG not a good option for my condition?

There is a risk, but I know several people who had moderate to sever GERD and still decided to get VSG. I think it depends on your comfort with risk and that you may have to continue the same medication or perhaps more treatments for GERD in the future. A close friend of mine had extreme GERD, who is a nurse, still went with VSG. Her symptoms improved slightly, but she is still dealing with it like she did pre-surgery.

You've got to set your expectations realistically if you go VSG and have a history of heartburn/GERD. There is a good chance nothing will change or it could get a bit worse. From what I've read, about 25% of patients who get VSG who had mild to severe GERD got a bit worse, and 75% remained the same or got better. As far as risk goes, 25% is pretty high, but again, it all depends on your level of risk and knowing yourself that if you move forward and it gets worse, you knew it could happen and you might need a revision. That being said, there is still a greater chance that things will remain the same or possibly improve. I personally don't know that I'd take the risk, but I can't say for sure since I wasn't ever in that position to make the decision.

You might seek out a second or third opinion from other surgeons.

There is a risk, but I know several people who had moderate to sever GERD and still decided to get VSG. I think it depends on your comfort with risk and that you may have to continue the same medication or perhaps more treatments for GERD in the future. A close friend of mine had extreme GERD, who is a nurse, still went with VSG. Her symptoms improved slightly, but she is still dealing with it like she did pre-surgery.

You've got to set your expectations realistically if you go VSG and have a history of heartburn/GERD. There is a good chance nothing will change or it could get a bit worse. From what I've read, about 25% of patients who get VSG who had mild to severe GERD got a bit worse, and 75% remained the same or got better. As far as risk goes, 25% is pretty high, but again, it all depends on your level of risk and knowing yourself that if you move forward and it gets worse, you knew it could happen and you might need a revision. That being said, there is still a greater chance that things will remain the same or possibly improve. I personally don't know that I'd take the risk, but I can't say for sure since I wasn't ever in that position to make the decision.

You might seek out a second or third opinion from other surgeons.
Thank you so much for this perspective! Definitely gives me some more to think about.

I chose RNY specifically due to GERD concerns. Having already had problems, I could not afford to risk more damage to my esophagus. My cousin had the sleeve. She has the reflux under control without medication, she just has to watch what she eats and she does not eat 4 hours before bedtime. So, I think at least part of it will be determined by your behaviors (as is GERD in general). Either way, I think that the topic is worth a discussion with your doctor.

If it were me I would do the RnY. I apparently had mild GERD before based on what they found in my stomach after. I did not know this as the only times I had issue was during pregnancy and occasionally if I over did spice. I now can not go with out medication as I have GERD after doing the sleeve. I never needed medication before except an occasional tums. The staring dose of meds was not enough. I was having issues with protein shakes and water before even adding food. I now take double dose and that manages it.

I chose RNY specifically due to GERD concerns. Having already had problems, I could not afford to risk more damage to my esophagus. My cousin had the sleeve. She has the reflux under control without medication, she just has to watch what she eats and she does not eat 4 hours before bedtime. So, I think at least part of it will be determined by your behaviors (as is GERD in general). Either way, I think that the topic is worth a discussion with your doctor.
Thank you! I think I definitely need to revisit the discussion before I make a solid decision.

If it were me I would do the RnY. I apparently had mild GERD before based on what they found in my stomach after. I did not know this as the only times I had issue was during pregnancy and occasionally if I over did spice. I now can not go with out medication as I have GERD after doing the sleeve. I never needed medication before except an occasional tums. The staring dose of meds was not enough. I was having issues with protein shakes and water before even adding food. I now take double dose and that manages it.
Thank you for sharing your experience with this! That's my main concern, as I'm already on a dose of 40mg of Protonix and have been for quite a long time. And although my scope did not show anything abnormal outside of some inflammation (which was biopsied and negative for anything), I have to question it because they did not have me stop my PPI before the EGD which I found strange :(.

I am having revision from band to Bypass in May for Gerd. I would strongly suggest rethinking and going with the Bypass. Everyone I know personally, has had issues with Gerd. Banded or sleeved. It's unbearable the amount of acid I dealt with. I would be as extreme as waking up
Choking on stomach acid regularly.

I am having revision from band to Bypass in May for Gerd. I would strongly suggest rethinking and going with the Bypass. Everyone I know personally, has had issues with Gerd. Banded or sleeved. It's unbearable the amount of acid I dealt with. I would be as extreme as waking up
Choking on stomach acid regularly.

That's what I'm afraid of :( my reflux was already bad to to begin with prior to taking a PPI daily so I'm definitely concerned about this becoming a larger problem. Thank you so much for sharing your experience with me!

My date is not yet set due to some travel plans we've had, but I'm all set. I chose RnY because of my severe GERD. I've been on the maximum dose of PPI for more than 5 years and almost maximum dosage for the previous 5 years. I take 40mg Omopersol twice a day and 40mg Famotidine at bedtime yet my reflux and barrets continue to progress. I have a 100 extra pounds to loose and I'm really excited to have the approval for surgery. I am so done with acid reflux, lately it's even hard to breath, apparently due to a form of asthma that I didn't even know that I had (but now makes sense).

Anyway, I've been researching the best options to eliminate GERD and hands down the RnY is the best choice for me. Good luck.

Brian, I have Gerd/Barrett's as well and I will tell you that the improvement is immense. However, my doctor has recommended that I stay on a lower dose of my meds until at least my next endoscopy. When you have actual damage to your esophagus, like you do with Barretts, they might suggest keeping you on a maintenance medication to be sure the damage continues to heal. I just don't want you to be surprised, as I was, if they suggest you have to keep taking meds.

Brian, I have Gerd/Barrett's as well and I will tell you that the improvement is immense. However, my doctor has recommended that I stay on a lower dose of my meds until at least my next endoscopy. When you have actual damage to your esophagus, like you do with Barretts, they might suggest keeping you on a maintenance medication to be sure the damage continues to heal. I just don't want you to be surprised, as I was, if they suggest you have to keep taking meds.
Good call, I figured I would EVENTUALLY get off but was thinking that it could take some time to get there. I really look forward to feeling better!

Thanks for starting this thread. I have GERD and Barrett's esophagus and have been on PPI's for way too long. I still experience breakthrough heartburn on occasion so I really don't want surgery to exacerbate it. I was scheduled for a laparoscopic Mini-GB in May, but after speaking with my digestive doctor, am considering changing it to Roux en y as I hear GERD complications following the Mini can be unbearable. Anyone with experience on GERD side effects of the Mini gastric bypass surgery?

Thanks for starting this thread. I have GERD and Barrett's esophagus and have been on PPI's for way too long. I still experience breakthrough heartburn on occasion so I really don't want surgery to exacerbate it. I was scheduled for a laparoscopic Mini-GB in May, but after speaking with my digestive doctor, am considering changing it to Roux en y as I hear GERD complications following the Mini can be unbearable. Anyone with experience on GERD side effects of the Mini gastric bypass surgery?

I had a sleeve in Sept and have GERD as a result. I take 40 mg of omeprozal 2x daily and lately its been acting up. If you have any issues pre surgery do the full bypass

Back