• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Getting closer to scheduling a surgery date

sue_t

Good Morning,

I have finally completed all the pre-op testing and been cleared for surgery by everyone. This Tuesday I have my results visit with the surgeon and attend a group session with others who are at the same stage as I am. When I finish with my appointments on Tuesday, I will have a surgery date!!

I know it's a mix of PMS (sorry guys) and the realization of this is really real, but I find myself a little more emotional that normal. This is normal, right?! It's not that I feel crazed or sad, it's just...life's about to change. It's exciting, it's crazy, it's wonderful, it's overwhelming and so on.

It doesn't "help" that's it last semester of college (it's taken me 14 years to get a BS degree while working full time) and it's a really busy time of the year at work. I find myself a tad distracted at work, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I'm a workaholic, so instead of giving it 150%, I'm at 100%. I'm still getting my work done and offering to help out wherever needed, but I'm not doing the usual work at home each night and every weekend. Returning to work as soon as I can after surgery will also be good for me because it will help me recuperate. I plan on taking it easy and if needed, I will work from home, work less hours, etc. I have plenty of leave time saved up, so I am not worried about that.

The extra emotions are normal, right?

Good Morning,

I have finally completed all the pre-op testing and been cleared for surgery by everyone. This Tuesday I have my results visit with the surgeon and attend a group session with others who are at the same stage as I am. When I finish with my appointments on Tuesday, I will have a surgery date!!

I know it's a mix of PMS (sorry guys) and the realization of this is really real, but I find myself a little more emotional that normal. This is normal, right?! It's not that I feel crazed or sad, it's just...life's about to change. It's exciting, it's crazy, it's wonderful, it's overwhelming and so on.

It doesn't "help" that's it last semester of college (it's taken me 14 years to get a BS degree while working full time) and it's a really busy time of the year at work. I find myself a tad distracted at work, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I'm a workaholic, so instead of giving it 150%, I'm at 100%. I'm still getting my work done and offering to help out wherever needed, but I'm not doing the usual work at home each night and every weekend. Returning to work as soon as I can after surgery will also be good for me because it will help me recuperate. I plan on taking it easy and if needed, I will work from home, work less hours, etc. I have plenty of leave time saved up, so I am not worried about that.

The extra emotions are normal, right?

You know what if you didn't have all these feelings I would be more worried about you. You are ready!

Yes, lots of emotion. This is going to be one of the biggest decisions/accomplishments of your life. You are giving yourself the present of more life.

Excited, sad, filled with questions and anticipation are all good feelings. It isn't just PMS either.

However, post op is a time for you to really rest and recover. This must be thoroughly discussed with your family, your boss and your friends. Surround yourself with supporters and ignore those who are discouraging you. You will find that you may have to drop a few "alledged" friends since some may try to sabotage your efforts. Hopefully, everyone in your family is completely supportive as well.

Congratulations for having the persistence to finally finish your BS degree. This tells me you have the persistence to succeed at this most important point in your life.

Post op make sure you get back to the support groups. Here you will find like minded people who will provide all kinds of help for you since what your are about to experience they have all experienced and will guide you through all the new learnings you are required to understand and turn into life habits.

Best wishes,

Ralph

Thanks, Ralph! I am very thankful that I found this group. I have learned a lot and enjoy reading the posts. I want to hear about the experience from those that have actually gone through it rather than a "clinical" person.

The Surgeon's office holds a support group once a month and I there is one this Thursday that I will go to and I already have my calendar marked for next month.

I don't have any family that I am close to. I have told my close friends and they are all very supportive. I haven't told my boss because she is not very supportive. I don't want to be treated unfairly nor do I want the entire organization that I work for to know right now, I know her and she will tell everyone and anyone. I know in time I will tell/share but I am not ready for that yet. I plan on having a discussion with HR and our CEO (my close friend) this week to see what can we do so that I can have adequate time off and not have to worry about everyone knowing my business.

I appreciate your response and always enjoy your posts!

Thanks, Ralph! I am very thankful that I found this group. I have learned a lot and enjoy reading the posts. I want to hear about the experience from those that have actually gone through it rather than a "clinical" person.

The Surgeon's office holds a support group once a month and I there is one this Thursday that I will go to and I already have my calendar marked for next month.

I don't have any family that I am close to. I have told my close friends and they are all very supportive. I haven't told my boss because she is not very supportive. I don't want to be treated unfairly nor do I want the entire organization that I work for to know right now, I know her and she will tell everyone and anyone. I know in time I will tell/share but I am not ready for that yet. I plan on having a discussion with HR and our CEO (my close friend) this week to see what can we do so that I can have adequate time off and not have to worry about everyone knowing my business.

I appreciate your response and always enjoy your posts!

OK.

It sounds like you are managing the situation properly.

Not so bad having the CEO as a close friend either. :)

Ralph

Sue-T. Congratulations on TWO life changing and hard earned scenarios this year. This must be overwhelmingly wonderful and scary too. I'm curious, since you are an admitted workaholic, what is "adequate time off" mean in actual time?

I just turned 62 last Saturday and I can say its taken me all this time to feel mostly normal. I probably could've gone back to work at about the third week out if I worked at home. I still had anesthesia brain, needed naps, and struggled with food and drink adjustments. The anesthesia brain is something I was vaguely aware of at the time, but now in retrospect I realize I was more forgetful and absent minded than I realized. There are inconsequential gaps in my memory such as I simply can't remember how much weight I lost at my two week check up, which was happily a lot, but I can't remember the number at all!? I've spoken to others, doctors, family members of those who had WLS, and other WLS people and this is common. I am so excited and proud of having this surgery, I tell everyone within ear shot. I have only received positive feed back, so it just reinforces my joy.

Anyway, I just wanted to give you some perspective so you won't underestimate your physical and mental needs as well. Oh yeah, don't be surprised at the emotional ride you may experience too...all I can say for that is "hang on tight, here we goooo!!!!" ;-o:eek:

Good point about what is "adequate". In an ideal world I would like to be out if the office for at least two weeks but be permitted to work when I feel like it. I would like the week if surgery to only answer emails I feel are urgent, which are about a dozen a day) that usually one take a few minutes to work.

My office is a hour from home. There is a satellite office here in the small town I live in and I am sure week two I could either work from there or I can stay with friends closer to my office, that way if I was tired and wanted to go home and rest it would be convenient.

I just don't want to be treated with "kid" gloves by my boss or others and I don't want my work given to my co-worker as he has no clue what he is doing.

I know for me I need to "work" even if only in short spurts because it will help me recover. It wi get me up and moving around instead of being a couch or bed potato. It will help me get on a schedule and a routine. But I understand and agree with what you both are saying. I do not want to push myself too hard too soon because that will cause more problems.

Thank you for your guidance.

Good point about what is "adequate". In an ideal world I would like to be out if the office for at least two weeks but be permitted to work when I feel like it. I would like the week if surgery to only answer emails I feel are urgent, which are about a dozen a day) that usually one take a few minutes to work.

My office is a hour from home. There is a satellite office here in the small town I live in and I am sure week two I could either work from there or I can stay with friends closer to my office, that way if I was tired and wanted to go home and rest it would be convenient.

I just don't want to be treated with "kid" gloves by my boss or others and I don't want my work given to my co-worker as he has no clue what he is doing.

I know for me I need to "work" even if only in short spurts because it will help me recover. It wi get me up and moving around instead of being a couch or bed potato. It will help me get on a schedule and a routine. But I understand and agree with what you both are saying. I do not want to push myself too hard too soon because that will cause more problems.

Thank you for your guidance.

Talk to your surgeon about all this.

I am concerned that you will NOT get the needed rest to heal properly.

This is MAJOR SURGERY! So, work is simply not as important as making a good recovery.

Sorry if I sound a little one-sided on this. I knew what it was to be a workaholic too. Thankfully, I am retired now 10 years.

You have to mend. You have to rest. You are NOT that indispensable.

I am not trying to be cruel to you either about all this.

Simply heed my respectful warning and seriously discuss this topic with your surgeon and LISTEN to his advice on how to handle your particular situation.

Ralph

Ralph,

I promise that I will discuss this with the surgeon. I promise that I will follow doctor's orders. And I promise you that I will be the biggest baby ever when it comes to my recovery needs.

I appreciate that you have taken time to respond and have offered your suggestions. I have to remember that you are my "friends" and care. You are my support system.

Ralph,

I promise that I will discuss this with the surgeon. I promise that I will follow doctor's orders. And I promise you that I will be the biggest baby ever when it comes to my recovery needs.

I appreciate that you have taken time to respond and have offered your suggestions. I have to remember that you are my "friends" and care. You are my support system.

OK good.

This is a big moment for you and it will make the rest of your life so much better.

Good Luck and Best wishes,

Ralph

Sue, You know your own body and will know when it is time to increase your activity. I usually want to plow ahead and work, work, work, but another thing to consider is that post-op you're functioning on basically a starvation diet. For weeks and weeks and in my case, 6 months. While I feel good, I also feel shaky and weak sometimes. Usually on the days I don't get enough calories in. I'm glad its still winter so yard work is not possible!
Congratulations on the college degree. I also worked full time and went to school so I know how hard it is. For about 2 years after you finish, you come home and think "There must be something I have to do", but nope, no studying, no school work, nothing! It takes awhile.

Today's my results visit appointment. We are under a Winter Weather Advisory. I didn't sleep much at all even though I am tired. I guess I am a little nervous after all.

I reviewed all the information that I have been given and have my list of questions ready including returning to work questions.

Thanks again for helping me think about things I wasn't.

Sue

Today's my results visit appointment. We are under a Winter Weather Advisory. I didn't sleep much at all even though I am tired. I guess I am a little nervous after all.

I reviewed all the information that I have been given and have my list of questions ready including returning to work questions.

Thanks again for helping me think about things I wasn't.

Sue

Sue,

We are all with you.

I know you are ready.

You have thought things through.

You have researched every avenue.

We have supported you and will continue to support you wherever we can.

Best of luck today,

Ralph

Hang in there Sue! It's normal to be nervous...this is a major life change! I remember feeling that I was definitely making the best decision for my health that I could, but that didn't stop me from an instant of panic and the thought of "what the H*ll am I doing" as they wheeled me into the ER on surgery day. ;) It HAS been the best thing I've done for myself. Like you, I told only two people at work, because I think my personal life is personal and not their business! I have "work friends" and "personal friends" and the personal friends are those who I told, because they are supportive and non-judgmental. My family has been wonderful...Particularly my husband and mom. In fact, my husband has seen how well things have gone for me and now is planning to have surgery himself! I'm excited, because this means he'll be around for many more years to come! :eek:

Everyone will respond differently to the surgery and I remind my husband of this. I took 2 weeks and 2 days off. I chose my surgery to be Dec. 19, 2012, because my work has a Christmas break and I always take a few extra vacation days at this time anyway. No one knew the difference. I didn't need pain medication after about the first week, so I could just rest up and resume my work activities. Mind you, I have an office job where I'm seated most of the day. I also gradually resumed my work-outs until I could get back to at least 5 days a week for 30 minutes at a time. It will all come to you with time, so give yourself a break!

Best wishes to you and I hope you enjoy your journey as much as I have!

Back