• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Going through the booklet

So just reading on what I can, and cannot have any longer or anymore so I have to eliminate bread, rice pasta, noodles, potatoes, cereal, high carb fruits, and all other foods made with the wheat flour, corn and sugar, including Corn meal MASA yuca, plantains, macaroni and cheese and breaded foods. I have to drink one protein, high protein, drink a day to drink 64 ounces of water or more goodbye to my sparkling water and goodbye to fast food restaurants I think out of the few protein drinks I’ve tried so far so far I’ve only been Atkins and premium protein shakes. I just try the cause it came in my little gift bag from my bariatrics office but we’ll see and then this is a part that almost breaks my heart a little bit when it comes down to what is really limited so some of the stuff on this list of one serving is all right it’s OK I can handle it the stuff I’m gonna have to give up is my bacon, regular cheese, my ribs and fried foods like fried chicken or fried fish I was wondering if that really means I have to give them up even if I cook them in an air fryer or I use smash cornflakes to make that fry crispy goodness that you would get off of a good fried chicken but the stuff that they’re requiring will not hurt the bank or the belly so I can make it I can do it. Yeah I’m all right.

Hi Momma, I had my RYGB in 2008 and I eat anything I want. I also drink a lot of water every day, which is the only disadvantage as it sends me to the toilet a couple of times a night. So 15 years out, It's like it never happened. I'm just normal, like everyone else.

However, if there are foods that are considered hard to digest, you can always chop them fine or thin them down or alter them in whatever way you need to to make them pre-digestable.

I hear so many people in this group talking about their various programs and there are always differences between them. If I were you, I'd check the government sites, like the FDA, and the American Bariatrics Society and read experiences there.

And think of it this way. There are millions of types of alcoholics. Even though it is never a good idea to drink once you stop, your body will send you different signals not necessarily shared by others. It's not a rubber stamp. Look within your own body. And you can always sample foods, like those food demos they have at grocery stores, if you're uncertain about reactions.

In an earlier post someone remarked that her family had snidely said she was taking the "easy way out." That is crap. It's not the easy way. Even though I lost 115 pounds in 14 months, over time I've aged, I've got the middle-age spread, and I look dumpy compared to my younger self. We all have to go through new stages of acceptance of our bodies.

But the cure, to me, is that once you've gone through your surgery and recovered, get over yourself and think of ways you can help others to stay healthy. Having you in this group is a blessing that goes both ways. And you now have a superpower: you can help others. But first, focus on yourself, because if you don't, you'll run the risk of forgetting how much you've accomplished and forget you have that superpower.

Hi Momma, I had my RYGB in 2008 and I eat anything I want. I also drink a lot of water every day, which is the only disadvantage as it sends me to the toilet a couple of times a night. So 15 years out, It's like it never happened. I'm just normal, like everyone else.

However, if there are foods that are considered hard to digest, you can always chop them fine or thin them down or alter them in whatever way you need to to make them pre-digestable.

I hear so many people in this group talking about their various programs and there are always differences between them. If I were you, I'd check the government sites, like the FDA, and the American Bariatrics Society and read experiences there.

And think of it this way. There are millions of types of alcoholics. Even though it is never a good idea to drink once you stop, your body will send you different signals not necessarily shared by others. It's not a rubber stamp. Look within your own body. And you can always sample foods, like those food demos they have at grocery stores, if you're uncertain about reactions.

In an earlier post someone remarked that her family had snidely said she was taking the "easy way out." That is crap. It's not the easy way. Even though I lost 115 pounds in 14 months, over time I've aged, I've got the middle-age spread, and I look dumpy compared to my younger self. We all have to go through new stages of acceptance of our bodies.

But the cure, to me, is that once you've gone through your surgery and recovered, get over yourself and think of ways you can help others to stay healthy. Having you in this group is a blessing that goes both ways. And you now have a superpower: you can help others. But first, focus on yourself, because if you don't, you'll run the risk of forgetting how much you've accomplished and forget you have that superpower.
Thanks so much for the feedback I will look into everything I just want everything to go smoothly

This is a journey that we take on. Everyday is a new adventure. Staying positive and seeking the good in everything is the ultimate goal. I see in your words that you have this outlook. In my opinion you are an asset to our community. Be safe, stay well. You can do anything you set your mind to do.

You have to give up everything early on, cuz your stomach can't handle it. I'm 3 years out and can eat almost anything.

I eat fried chicken. I actually had a full Thanksgiving dinner. Turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, cranberry sauce, green beans and a dinner roll. Of course I only had about 2 bites of each but that's ok. I enjoyed every single bite.

You're not giving anything up except overeating. It takes time but you will be able to enjoy food again.

Hi Mommachops, I'm almost 3 weeks post op from Roux-en Y Gastric bypass with hiatal hernia repair. I had a 2 week liquid only preop diet before surgery, and even before that I started a modified bariatric diet for about 5 months before surgery. There are so many foods I gave up but didn't miss them. Seriously. Fried fish is a huge downfall for me, so I experimented and found that baked cod with tartar sauce hit the spot, surprisingly enough. I have to eat gluten free, I gave up breads, cakes, pasta, etc. After a while I reintroduced gluten free items and since I wasn't comparing side by side, they were fantastic. I guess the point is that when you give it up, you'll be surprised by how different you feel, and when you substitute later, it will fit the craving and you'll feel satisfied by it.
I love your attitude, you can absolutely do this, and you'll be more than fine, you'll be healthy and energetic.

i agree with diane.....you may not wanna cheat in the honeymoon phase, but after you have lost the weight, try introducing those forbidden foods back into your diet and if you can maintain while eating those foods, then i would not leave out anything. Everything in moderation. As Missy said, just dont overeat and you should be fine!

Back