• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Green Thumb

I use to have a green thumb but lost it, LOL! Many of my plants get wrecked by my cats and/or dogs but I do have an amaryllis that will be blooming soon! I hope that now I've lost 124 lbs by spring I'll be more inclined to get back into some gardening. My favorite thing to do is flood my deck with a lot of flowers and a fountain.

We have a big vegetable garden every year. I also love flowers, but that’s usually on a smaller scale. I’ve got hostas, irises, a yellow rose bush, tulips, alliums, lilies, and wildflowers. Our vegetable garden is made up of tomatoes (different varieties), tomatillos, zucchini, yellow squash, all kinds of green beans, and sometimes bell peppers. I also have herbs growing in containers. It’s fantastic to go outside and just grab what I need. Unfortunately it’s not all year.

Nothing better than home grown tomatoes!!! I no longer have a place for a vegetable garden but I can grow a few on my deck, which is fairly roomy. Herbs are one of my favorites to grow in containers. If I can spare the cash I might get a raised garden for my deck which brings it up to waist level and grow a salad garden in it.

Everything here is under layers of snow, but I love to start planning my garden now!

I planted tomatoes (with great success) last year, and would love to try zucchini and peppers.

Plant-wise, I'm a perennial girl! I love my hostas, tigerlillies, sedum, and Salvia Sage.

I love perennials too! And for the most part (except hostas) the deer don't eat it. Years ago I had huge beds of impatients, they were really spectacular that year. Well I guess the deer thought so too and chopped then off clear to the ground. It looked like someone came in with a weed whacker! My husband said I provided a nice salad bar for them. Ever since that day, I switched to perennials!

Like Meg, I kill literally everything. The only thing in my yard is hostas, which someone else planted. The ones I planted have long since died. I do buy baskets of flowers in the spring and my husband managed to keep them alive through the fall for the first time EVER. I usually have to replace the baskets for summer and fall :eek: Apparently, they need WAY more water than I think they do!

More snow today..... I can at least dream about my spring garden!

I did make a house plants haul a few weeks ago. Picked up a spider plant, ponytail palm, neon and marble pothos, and a few more I can't remember the names. lol

We’ve had so much snow this week, but I’m just trying to remind myself that it’s good for the groundwater supply, and it’ll give the spring blooms a nice foundation. But honestly the snow can go away now LOL

It may be frosty outside, but inside my amaryllis is blooming!

Back