• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Greetings from Florida

Lonster

I had my LapBand done on June 7th of this year and have lost 44.5 lbs so far and am struggling with accepting this change. Ii don't like the tightness and bring up most foods. By the same token, when i get sick of being sick I turn to ice cream...occasionally. I have cheated with other things but try to stay steadfast and continue my efforts in losing, otherwise, I would be putting weight on and not losing.

I live with guilt every single day and that is probably what is burning the calories. I dread my monthly visit to the doctor and feel more challenged by special occasions and everyone enjoying the holiday or event with food everywhere and chatting. I try to keep myself busy but sometimes give into temptation and suffer the consequences.

Initially I hated the scar and the idea but did it because iI wanted to eliminate meds and feel better...less pain and being able to fit into my clothes once again. I used to be a "normal" weight but became ill in 1996. Things changed thereafter. I know the meds and disease caused my weight gain but have to be honest with myself and say that I am to blame partially for bad eating habits and eating out. There is no one in my immediate or extended family with a weight issue and certainly none to the extent I became.

I haven't attended any support groups due to my forgetfulness and fear. However, I am devoted to chatting with those on this forum to help me along.

Thank you for the long read,
Lonnie :)

Wow, Lonnie. What a story! I commend you for what holding up to the challenge.

I can't really relate to the lap band....I had the rny. Told the surgeon I didn't even want to discuss any other methods. I know my weakness was food...the only way I could make it a strength was to remove it from my life. Or remove the dependency on it.

Have you considered going back in and having the rny done? I know a couple of ladies that did just that. They were not happy with the lapband. They all said it was so difficult.

I will say this though...stop with the guilt. You have no reason to feel guilty for anything. You are still losing the weight. It's not worth beating yourself up over. Obviously you are doing something right because you've lost as much as you have.

How about holidays..."pacing" yourself? If you know you are going to eat something..give it a lot of thought. What will be served. Is it possible for you to take foods you can eat? One big suggestion..one I KNOW will help... take a LOT of water. Treat yourself to something like Fiji water. If you can keep yourself full with the water, you can resist more than you think. Water water water.

When I don't know what to eat, but I want to eat, I go to the fridge and knock down a few oz of water and voila...I'm no longer dieing to eat because my pouch is full. Keep your drink by your side. Heck..it's Christmas coming up...drink tea! Just remember, no sodas.

How big is your stomach? How much did the surgeon band off? I feel so uneducated in this area. I really don't know much about the lap band..just that it's a very difficult way to go.

I hope we can all work to help you out a bit with your challenges!!!

Take care,

Letrell

Back