• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Greetings from NY - Day one for me, consultation today

Hello everyone and greetings from NY. I am on day one of my journey and was happy to find an online site for support. I have been accepted today into a program and will be getting my sleeve surgery sometime in November. I have taken this step because I am 46 this year and have just been diagnosed with high blood pressure. I have a family history of heart issues and lost my father young. I felt the time was right to take this step toward a healthier future. Looking forward to walking this path with you.

Lynn
Day 1

Hello everyone and greetings from NY. I am on day one of my journey and was happy to find an online site for support. I have been accepted today into a program and will be getting my sleeve surgery sometime in November. I have taken this step because I am 46 this year and have just been diagnosed with high blood pressure. I have a family history of heart issues and lost my father young. I felt the time was right to take this step toward a healthier future. Looking forward to walking this path with you.

Lynn
Day 1
Welcome! I just had my surgery May 19. It's been a tough week being stuck at home and living on protein shakes made with water, along with jello and broth. But, I survived and the weight is steadily melting off. I am hungry. I've read on many forums that its normal. Not everyone has a compete loss of appetite. Its not always just in my head, but sometimes it is. I'm so happy I finally made the decision though. Its a tough experience. Its not a lie that this is merely a tool. But utilizing this tool properly for a lifetime and making the necessary changes is what we must do to have lasting results. I anticipate ups and downs both. It's just part of the process. Strength when we have it, support when we need it will get us through. Good luck on the journey towards your surgery. Keep us posted!

Thank you, Maggie. Congratulations on your surgery. You are on the path to a new you! It is interesting about the appetite. My doc said that with the sleeve he removes the hormone that triggers the brain to eat. This is good and bad he said in that you can actually forget to eat. I know everyone's body is different and maybe this is just your body telling you, "hey, what happened here?" LOL. I too have selected the sleeve. Can you tell me, other than the hunger if you are or were in any pain post op?

Welcome all, this site is amazing, the people are all so helpful, you have made a great decision, I went with the bypass because of losing more weight, and it went great. I thought I would have been in a lot of pain afterwards, but that was not the case, I also know they have more info on how the bypass works over a long time so that is what helped me make my decision

Welcome all, this site is amazing, the people are all so helpful, you have made a great decision, I went with the bypass because of losing more weight, and it went great. I thought I would have been in a lot of pain afterwards, but that was not the case, I also know they have more info on how the bypass works over a long time so that is what helped me make my decision

Thank you, Tracy. Your stats are amazing! Congratulations? I was looking for information on caffeine/coffee. Are you able to tolerate it? Do you drink decaf? Just wondering?

Lynn

Thank you, Maggie. Congratulations on your surgery. You are on the path to a new you! It is interesting about the appetite. My doc said that with the sleeve he removes the hormone that triggers the brain to eat. This is good and bad he said in that you can actually forget to eat. I know everyone's body is different and maybe this is just your body telling you, "hey, what happened here?" LOL. I too have selected the sleeve. Can you tell me, other than the hunger if you are or were in any pain post op?

Yes, I was told that too. But, I've read A LOT of posts on other sites from people who still have hunger. Don't go into it thinking you won't feel hunger anymore and dont be discouraged if you do. You're correct in that everyone is different. I can say though that the acid reflux feeling and hunger feeling are identical. So, take the medicine they prescribe you. I thought I didn't need it until I read a post that said the feelings were identical. So, that fixed the issue about 80%.
As for pain, the gas was the worst. Get it out as best you can. I wasn't able to pass gas in the hospital. I had occasional burps that tried to come up. Thankfully they didn't insist on keeping me until I passed some, but I've read that some people can't leave until they do. So, if a nurse is right in front of you and you need to let one rip, just do it. It'll make you feel better and the nurse has dealt with much worse lol. Lower back pain is my other issue. I'm not sure if that's common or just me. I was in pretty good shape beforehand (yes, for a fatty I was pretty healthy) so I never had this issue ongoing before. I do suggest getting one of those cushions that help you sleep sitting up for when you get home. That greatly helped with indigestion and acid reflux that happened at night.
I didn't have much pain with the incisions (there are 4 small and one more slightly bigger). The bigger one is the one that they pull the stomach out of. It bruised and is sensitive. I only occasionally get a sharp pain when I move in bed too quickly. They gave me a cough pillow at the hospital (a small pillow to hold up against your abdomen if you need to cough). I would prop this under my stomach to make sleeping on my side more comfortable.
Loooong message, I know, but I hope you find this info valuable!

Thank you, Tracy. Your stats are amazing! Congratulations? I was looking for information on caffeine/coffee. Are you able to tolerate it? Do you drink decaf? Just wondering?

Lynn
Here's how I get my coffee fix during the clear liquid protein phase. I have unflavored protein (multi use an I cam change up the flavors. I found some recipes to try out on Pinterest to make my own flavors).
- dissolve 1 serving of decaf instant coffee in a tiny bit of hot water
-I add a little cocoa powder and 3 pumps of Starbucks sugar free vanilla syrup (found it at Wal-Mart)
- then I add more water (12oz total) and a scoop of the protein powder. If you add it to hot water, it will curdle!
-add ice and shake it up. AMAZING iced coffee!

Lynn
I drink decaf, my Dr told me not to drink regular, it took a little getting used to but now it is fine, i did miss that little extra energy in the morning but now I don't miss it,

Back