• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Greetings

WazzuCoug

Hi, my name is Ryan. I'm pre-op at the moment with expected surgery in May/June time frame. I've found several interesting posts and insights and I'm glad I found this community.

My story:
I started gaining weight soon after I was honorably discharged from the Marine Corps and started college. The "freshman 15" was more like a "freshman 30." Over the years I gradually increased, with periods of loss or maintaining here and there. I had a couple stretches of time where I was doing quite well and was a real "gym rat" and started to get quite strong and healthy, but injury or some other life issues came up, and I would fall off the horse, and finally I didn't get back on. My career is very sedentary job - sitting in an office, sitting at meetings, sitting, sitting, sitting. My highest weight was 320, my weight at my first pre-op weigh in was 307. I'm currently at 305. I don't have a specific weight goal, but my body fat goal is 17% and then maintaining that between 15 and 20. Currently, I'm at 34% with 105lbs of fat and 100lbs SMM. Reaching my goal would put my weight around 190-ish.

My insurance doesn't require a weight management plan pre-op, so I've been going through the required steps (Nutritionist, Physical Therapist, medical evaluation, psychological evaluation, surgeon evaluation) fairly quickly. I have some travel that I need to do prior to surgery, so that pushed things out a bit, but I'm quite excited to have this tool to combat my obesity and get on a healthy track.

Why I'm doing it:
For myself: to get off as many medications as I can, if not all; to go for longer, strenuous hikes; get off my CPAP (hopefully) so I can travel without it and go camping again; to reduce the chance for regain by making better choices with my new internal organ arrangement;
For my family: to shoot hoops with my daughter for longer periods of time; to do more hiking and birdwatching with my wife; to be able to work on more projects on our hobby farm without being too tired or weak

There are other reasons, but those are the things that hit home the most for me. I know I have to make radical changes with my relationship with food and get back into exercise like I used to do to reach my ultimate goals.

Anyway, "hello" and I look forward to sharing and seeking support at times, and perhaps providing some support after I go through the rest of the process.

Cheers,

Ryan

I don't know if you are a listener, but I used to work for kwsu / k f a e, the public radio station outside of Pullman when I was a Stringer for NPR back in the early 90s. I just realized that that was such a long time ago and there's no way you ever heard me on the radio! Nevermind!

I don't know if you are a listener, but I used to work for kwsu / k f a e, the public radio station outside of Pullman when I was a Stringer for NPR back in the early 90s. I just realized that that was such a long time ago and there's no way you ever heard me on the radio! Nevermind!
I grew up in SE Washington, so KWSU was frequently on. After my stint in the Marine Corps I went to school at WSU from 91-95, and then worked for the university until 2001 before I moved to the Portland area.

I grew up in SE Washington, so KWSU was frequently on. After my stint in the Marine Corps I went to school at WSU from 91-95, and then worked for the university until 2001 before I moved to the Portland area.
Well, shoot, you might have heard me on the radio. I worked for National Public Radio as the Central Washington stringer for six months in 1994. I covered the forest fires, Omak Stampede suicide race, skateboarding, murder trial of two young boys who killed a farm worker, growth planning and political races. I had my own magazine before, and also my own newspaper at the time. I filed a 90-second news bit almost every day for 6 months.

Something new i didn’t know about you .
I have had a very interesting life. Sometimes I forget stuff and then I suddenly remember doing it and I'm so surprised that I did it. I used to do tune-ups (points, plugs, distributor cap, rotor) on Volkswagens for $15 to make money to pay for school supplies when I was going to Los Angeles City College. And I participated equally in the rebuild of 6 Volkswagen engines. This was back in the day of The Complete Idiot's Guide to Volkswagen Repair, so of course, anyone with a Volkswagen could learn how to keep it running well with very little difficulty. Oh my God, I also rebuilt carburetors and fuel pumps! Back in those days you could just buy a kit and spend your evening smelling like gasoline!

Cheers, Ryan! A really big EeeWu hello. I know our paths didn't cross 'cause I was at EWU until 1978 and then worked for Spokane county computer department for a while before relocating to NAU in Arizona. I am a native Washingtonian; my grandparents homesteaded Renton and Issaquah in the early 1900's.

I've been told they raise 'em big in WA and that's why I'm pre-op for WLS. lol

I'm not one to post often but I love to follow the journey's. Glad you're part of the group.

~ Lois

Hi, my name is Ryan. I'm pre-op at the moment with expected surgery in May/June time frame. I've found several interesting posts and insights and I'm glad I found this community.

My story:
I started gaining weight soon after I was honorably discharged from the Marine Corps and started college. The "freshman 15" was more like a "freshman 30." Over the years I gradually increased, with periods of loss or maintaining here and there. I had a couple stretches of time where I was doing quite well and was a real "gym rat" and started to get quite strong and healthy, but injury or some other life issues came up, and I would fall off the horse, and finally I didn't get back on. My career is very sedentary job - sitting in an office, sitting at meetings, sitting, sitting, sitting. My highest weight was 320, my weight at my first pre-op weigh in was 307. I'm currently at 305. I don't have a specific weight goal, but my body fat goal is 17% and then maintaining that between 15 and 20. Currently, I'm at 34% with 105lbs of fat and 100lbs SMM. Reaching my goal would put my weight around 190-ish.

My insurance doesn't require a weight management plan pre-op, so I've been going through the required steps (Nutritionist, Physical Therapist, medical evaluation, psychological evaluation, surgeon evaluation) fairly quickly. I have some travel that I need to do prior to surgery, so that pushed things out a bit, but I'm quite excited to have this tool to combat my obesity and get on a healthy track.

Why I'm doing it:
For myself: to get off as many medications as I can, if not all; to go for longer, strenuous hikes; get off my CPAP (hopefully) so I can travel without it and go camping again; to reduce the chance for regain by making better choices with my new internal organ arrangement;
For my family: to shoot hoops with my daughter for longer periods of time; to do more hiking and birdwatching with my wife; to be able to work on more projects on our hobby farm without being too tired or weak

There are other reasons, but those are the things that hit home the most for me. I know I have to make radical changes with my relationship with food and get back into exercise like I used to do to reach my ultimate goals.

Anyway, "hello" and I look forward to sharing and seeking support at times, and perhaps providing some support after I go through the rest of the process.

Cheers,

Ryan
Congratulations on decision to get healthy and enjoy life and welcome!!!

My story:

Why I'm doing it:

Cheers,

Ryan
Thank you for sharing your story. Welcome to the group and best of luck on your journey.

Back