• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Grocery Shopping

KristenJH

I'm just curious, what are some things you guys are buying at the grocery store? I'm still pre-op, but I'm just interested in what some of you guys are getting from the store. I love walking through the grocery store, even when I'm not buying anything.

I buy the 3 oz cans of tuna in water, they come in a three pack and are great for lunch, I also like the cheese sticks they are a good source of protien and go good with lunchmeat which I will make a wrap out of with whole whete flour tortillas. Ground lean beef is good, I brown and cook 1lb of it into taco meat every week and make breakfast tacos (corn) by mixing some with an egg or it makes a great dinner taco or burrito. Chrystal light is good to mix up in my water bottles and then some kind of snak food like nuts and air popped pop corn. I like shopping but food last so long I have to be carefull about buying too much fresh fruits or veggies. :cool: Tom

I'm just curious, what are some things you guys are buying at the grocery store? I'm still pre-op, but I'm just interested in what some of you guys are getting from the store. I love walking through the grocery store, even when I'm not buying anything.
hi kristen i am only 1 week out from my gastric sleeve so right now i buy chobani champions yogurt, tomato soup,no sugar jello and puddingsand skim milk for my protein shakes. can't wait for next week ican have eggs and mashed potato and pureed veggies yay!

ohhh you better believe those mashed potatoes are going to be the best damn thing you ever ate....im 5 weeks out from having my sleeve done and boy oh boy those mashed taters were great lol

I haven't been inside a grocery store for over a month and I sure do miss it *LOL* I'm one week post surgery and just started phase 2. The first thing I ate was some "soupy" mashed potatoes and they were delicious! One of my nieces went shopping for me today. On my list were SF pudding cups, SF popsicles, cream of wheat, SF Jello, pea soup, cream of potato, brocolli and cheese soups, lowfat ricotta and cottage cheese. I still have applesauce and protein shakes on hand so I should be good for 1 to 2 more weeks. Plus I have egg substitute in the freezer and can't wait for phase 3 so I can make myself a protein "pancake" with eggs and cottage cheese. I also can't wait to be able to eat string cheese and Boca Burgers (veggie burgers). I'm going to try to make the burger on a half of a toasted wheat bun or english muffin and hope the bread won't make me dump.

ohhh you better believe those mashed potatoes are going to be the best damn thing you ever ate....im 5 weeks out from having my sleeve done and boy oh boy those mashed taters were great lol
yes those potatos are good now looking forward to the next phase baked haddock!!! egg, chicken ham salad!!! nice to talk to another sleeve have not found many! I have a ? for you .I only lost 2lbs in 3 weeks is that normal in the first month?

I haven't been inside a grocery store for over a month and I sure do miss it *LOL* I'm one week post surgery and just started phase 2. The first thing I ate was some "soupy" mashed potatoes and they were delicious! One of my nieces went shopping for me today. On my list were SF pudding cups, SF popsicles, cream of wheat, SF Jello, pea soup, cream of potato, brocolli and cheese soups, lowfat ricotta and cottage cheese. I still have applesauce and protein shakes on hand so I should be good for 1 to 2 more weeks. Plus I have egg substitute in the freezer and can't wait for phase 3 so I can make myself a protein "pancake" with eggs and cottage cheese. I also can't wait to be able to eat string cheese and Boca Burgers (veggie burgers). I'm going to try to make the burger on a half of a toasted wheat bun or english muffin and hope the bread won't make me dump.
Wow I can't believe you can already have some of that stuff, i could not have potato until 3 weeks out!! and eggs just recently, are you having any issues with food?

yes those potatos are good now looking forward to the next phase baked haddock!!! egg, chicken ham salad!!! nice to talk to another sleeve have not found many! I have a ? for you .I only lost 2lbs in 3 weeks is that normal in the first month?
From what I understand the sleeve doesn't lose as much weight as fast as the other 2 surgeries. The key is to not step on a scale everytime your in your bathroom. I do the same thing I'm always stepping on it and we have to realize that at different times of Te day were gonna weigh different depending on what we ate during the day. Just stay on course and you'll be ok

Wow I can't believe you can already have some of that stuff, i could not have potato until 3 weeks out!! and eggs just recently, are you having any issues with food?

I started phase 2 on day 5 after surgery. Could be the type of surgery that makes the differences in what we are allowed to eat. I was surprised to see instant mashed potatoes and the cream soups on the list. The trick with the potatoes is that they needed to be made on the thin side with milk. The soups can't have any pasta, corn or pieces of celery and have to be strained to make them lump free. I put them in the food processor until they were super smooth and didn't need straining. So far I have tolerated everything I ate but then again I have one of those "cast iron stomachs". I had grits with a piece of melted american cheese for dinner and didn't have any issues except I ate one single bite too much and had some moderate stomach discomfort for about 10 minutes. Because of this I'll probably have only liquids the rest of tonight.

From what I understand the sleeve doesn't lose as much weight as fast as the other 2 surgeries. The key is to not step on a scale everytime your in your bathroom. I do the same thing I'm always stepping on it and we have to realize that at different times of Te day were gonna weigh different depending on what we ate during the day. Just stay on course and you'll be ok
thanks for the advice i am a scale stepper but morning only, have not weighred myself for 4 days so hoping to see some movement when i weigh in sat morn. My Dr. said weight loss would be similiar to gastric slightly slower but more than band. I just worry when i start adding more to my diet what will happen!How have you been doing?

Back