• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Gurgling

Don't worry about it. Everyone's stomach gurgles at times, for one reason or another. Focus on the routine you've set for yourself and you stomach will take care of itself.

Yeah I know prior to my surgery my stomach would gurgle and growl when I was hungry, however my problem is I am 12 days out and I have not really felt hungry. My head is telling me I should be feeling hungry due to the continued very low calorie/carb diet, but my stomach isn't. I'm keeping my protein at the surgeons' levels of 60-90 gm a day, and as of 2 days ago I was allowed to add yogurt, cottage cheese and applesauce as well as soup like butternut squash, pumpkin, tomato etc. as long as it was pureed to my diet only after I have had all my protein for the day. Between getting my protein in and drinking 64oz of water I just have not felt that hunger but psychologically my head is telling me I should feel hunger. It's just a weird feeling for me, I am totally an emotional eater have been my whole life and stopped feeling hungry around the beginning of the second week of the pre-op liquid diet. I have to literally set an alarm on my phone to tell me to eat a 1/4 cup of soup, yogurt, cottage cheese or applesauce. I'm not really feeling hungry, but I am having extreme cravings for raw fruit and veggies. my body is begging for green vegies, I even dream of them its constant. I called my surgeon and asked if I could have cream of spinach soup or miso soup with baby spinach and she said not yet. So I'm trying to figure out my new stomach and trying to figure out if its telling me its hungry and needs fuel or if its just part of the healing or the new normal. I'm only 12 days out and I expect things to change so I'm just going with how I feel, buts its defiantly not my normal when I think about what I used to eat, how much and why.

The best thing about WLS is that it resets your hormones. So you will feel hunger when you are actually hungry and feel full when you eat enough. In time! The first few weeks, possibly a few months, you may not feel hungry at all. You have had a large part of your stomach removed so those hormones can take a while to start working again.

The mental hunger, the emotional hunger is an entirely separate issue. And that's where the real work comes in. So many of us ate for comfort, out of boredom or to punish ourselves. That doesn't just go away and we have all had to work on issues that we may not have been aware of.

The first year after WLS should be your YOU year. Your main focus should be on you. What you eat, how you eat, why you eat and what you need from yourself to stay healthy. There are a lot of components to self care that aren't always thought of. Eating foods that nourish and fuel your body, mental health, physical strength and stamina, stress relief, maintaining healthy relationships and boundaries. I learned so much about myself during that first year. Honestly that was probably the first and only time, since childhood, my first priority was ME.

Just hang in there. You'll get through this phase and get to eat fresh fruit and veggies again.

I'm really enjoying our conversation and find it incredibly relatable. My mother suggested that my discomfort might be acid reflux, and indeed, sitting up straighter while drinking my protein shake has alleviated some of the gurgling—I had mistaken it for hunger pains. Dragonfly4u, I envy your ability to eat certain things. Under my doctor's instructions, I must wait two weeks post-surgery before I can have pureed foods, and I'm eagerly counting down. In the meantime, I'm keeping myself busy to cope with the emotional void usually filled by food. I stumbled upon this support group in a moment of sheer desperation, feeling incredibly isolated. Thankfully, it's been a tremendous help. I've even joined a small book club in another thread. The collective wisdom shared in this group are truly enriching. It's been a wonderful experience.

I'm really enjoying our conversation and find it incredibly relatable. My mother suggested that my discomfort might be acid reflux, and indeed, sitting up straighter while drinking my protein shake has alleviated some of the gurgling—I had mistaken it for hunger pains. Dragonfly4u, I envy your ability to eat certain things. Under my doctor's instructions, I must wait two weeks post-surgery before I can have pureed foods, and I'm eagerly counting down. In the meantime, I'm keeping myself busy to cope with the emotional void usually filled by food. I stumbled upon this support group in a moment of sheer desperation, feeling incredibly isolated. Thankfully, it's been a tremendous help. I've even joined a small book club in another thread. The collective wisdom shared in this group are truly enriching. It's been a wonderful experience.
Honestly, I credit this group with a large part of my success. I was lucky, in that there were a few of us that had very similar surgery dates. Its helpful to hear others going through it the same time you are.

That head hunger and your relationship with food is the hardest thing to deal with. Funny how they leave that out lol Your hunger hormones may give you a break, but your head does not. However, without the physical "I'm starving" feeling, it becomes easier to learn to deal with your head hunger.

Now is a great time to start looking at what food actually means to you and what it has done both FOR and TO you. I still find myself looking to food when I'm sad etc. It takes a minute to remember that it really doesn't help me feel happier. In fact, afterwards, I then feel down cuz I was 'bad'.

This surgery is emotionally charged in so many ways. The healing it provides cannot be overstated.

Back