• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Had my surgical consultation!

Hello All!

First off, thank you for sharing your experiences, lending advice, and providing a listening ear. Re-reading some of my posts and I notice I can seem very optimistic and assured, to being an anxious wreck who feels controlled and detached. So after today, the pendulum swings back to optimism and I hope it gets caught on something and remains hanging there.
The appointment went very well. I have a 3-month diet trial per my insurance, sleep apnea and my BMI were enough. The surgeon broke things down very clearly and I felt comfortable. I was comfortable with saying I prefer the gastric sleeve procedure, only because of my history of anemia. I stated it was menstrual-related and at times I was at a normal weight, I was off iron supplements, but I still needed to set up an appointment with OB-GYN to confirm or the next step will be a referral to a hematologist. With my history and the risk increases with gastric bypass (I know there are risks with the sleeve as well), it seemed more pronounced with the bypass. Besides, like many have stated, my work and dedication determine success regardless of the tool used. They scheduled all my 5 necessary appointments from Sept 7th to Nov 2. I was given a weight loss goal of 15 pounds prior to surgery. Once all done, I meet the surgeon again for his consent and to schedule the surgery. The comforting aspect is that he knew all about my condition PseudoTumor Cerebri and the surgeries I had to address that. My ears always perk up and my heart skips a beat when I meet a healthcare professional who knows about it and understands all it entails.
So all this to say, I am so happy my journey has been laid out for me and now it's just a matter of checking boxes, learning as much as I can and moving forward.
Thank you all once again!!!

Yay! I will give you this heads up because it took me completely by surprise. If you still get your period it might become erratic. It might not, but be aware. If you’re seeing your OBGYN ask about changes that could happen. There’s a lot of estrogen in fat cells, so it can make the body go a little wonky.

Yay! I will give you this heads up because it took me completely by surprise. If you still get your period it might become erratic. It might not, but be aware. If you’re seeing your OBGYN ask about changes that could happen. There’s a lot of estrogen in fat cells, so it can make the body go a little wonky.

Thank you so much! The surgeon did explain to me the relationship between estrogen and fat cells and seemed as if he wanted me to get the full rundown with my OB-GYN, which I appreciate. But I'll be sure to ask as many questions as I can at my appointment. Thank you!

Glad to hear how well your surgeon visit went. That's definitely a positive step for you, esp having future visits already lined up. I'm totally happy with my gastric bypass, and hopefully you will be too. Good luck!

Thank you! I was so nervous and for some reason felt as if I needed to state my case. But going in, they had everything planned out so perfectly based on my situation that it was comforting, it does help I've been with this hospital system for 7 years now and all medical records are just a click away. Thank you again!

Thank you! I feel so silly I allowed myself to be so rattled by this appointment.
I get it I still get rattled each time I have a visit after surgery. I am don't want them to tell me I am not doing well or doing something wrong. I still feel I have not lost as much as I should have. But he Dr office said i am good. So that does help. I hope for you the feeling will go away but for me it has not yet.

Hello All!

First off, thank you for sharing your experiences, lending advice, and providing a listening ear. Re-reading some of my posts and I notice I can seem very optimistic and assured, to being an anxious wreck who feels controlled and detached. So after today, the pendulum swings back to optimism and I hope it gets caught on something and remains hanging there.
The appointment went very well. I have a 3-month diet trial per my insurance, sleep apnea and my BMI were enough. The surgeon broke things down very clearly and I felt comfortable. I was comfortable with saying I prefer the gastric sleeve procedure, only because of my history of anemia. I stated it was menstrual-related and at times I was at a normal weight, I was off iron supplements, but I still needed to set up an appointment with OB-GYN to confirm or the next step will be a referral to a hematologist. With my history and the risk increases with gastric bypass (I know there are risks with the sleeve as well), it seemed more pronounced with the bypass. Besides, like many have stated, my work and dedication determine success regardless of the tool used. They scheduled all my 5 necessary appointments from Sept 7th to Nov 2. I was given a weight loss goal of 15 pounds prior to surgery. Once all done, I meet the surgeon again for his consent and to schedule the surgery. The comforting aspect is that he knew all about my condition PseudoTumor Cerebri and the surgeries I had to address that. My ears always perk up and my heart skips a beat when I meet a healthcare professional who knows about it and understands all it entails.
So all this to say, I am so happy my journey has been laid out for me and now it's just a matter of checking boxes, learning as much as I can and moving forward.
Thank you all once again!!!
Glad your appointment went well and you are moving forward. It is a very big decision. I was crazy nervous when I went in for my consultation. I really like and trust my bariatric team and that is extremely important. Sounds like you have a team you can work with! Good luck!

Glad your appointment went well and things are progressing. It is perfectly natural for your moods to go from optimistic to anxious and all steps in between during this process, so don't stress too much about that. Just keep taking the steps and you'll be fine. You've been doing your research and preparing so I am sure you'll be great.

Back