• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hair Loss after Weight Loss Surgery

absolutely right,plus zinc, and good vitamin supplement. by addin th easure carb control with 17 grams of protein will help. it is very hard to cosume 64 gm of prtein with judt the food..patti

I went to the dr today and on his scales I weigh 209.bummmer. now I really feel overwhelmed. glad you are safe and sound at home.....patti

hi how are you doing? I just read your post. so it' been 9 years since your surgery? Did you have gastric bypass? I thought once we had the surgery we wouldn't gain our weight back? I know I've done every diet known to man and loss up to 81 pounds only to gain it back. I haven't got my sugery yet going through all the processes, but anxiously awaiting my turn to begin this new journey. Do you have any regrets for having had the surgery? I hope to be able to talk with everyone on here and learn from there experiences and support each other as this journey is a lifetime adventure.

I a finally back within 40 lbs of my ideal weight. I think at 5 years we are less sensitive to fods and if we eat them we gain weight. I had a car accident in 2008 and reduced my activity. walked with cane for almost a year. s that made we a prime candidate for wt grain. There have been people on this site that have not regained. i HAVE ABSOLUTLY NO REGRETS for having the sugery,just some of my eating choices. I had to learn this a journey and not a d3estination and it it a lifelong process.look forward to hearing from you....patti

I had surgery in June and have lost about half the volume of my hair. I was really getting scared and finally found 2 things that have worked. The first is Biotin. There is some in the Bariatric vitamins or you can get it by itself. Heavy doses over the course of a couple of weeks helped to slow it down. Then, my hair dresser recommended using Niotin shampoo and conditioner. i am very happy to say that after 60 days I have no more hair in the drain!

Greeneyes
hi
sounds like you are doing well, congratulations! I experienced hair loss after surgery in 2010, haven't had my w/l surgery yet BUT due to hair loss, I bought vitamins at Walmart for hair, skin & nails and my thick hair has came back and I finally have fingernails that are hard and healthy looking.Before my hair was falling out daily. I too believe stress and lack of protein and all the other vitamins we need are the reason we've all lost some of our hair. I've been taking these vitamins over a year now and I plan to continue them. They are an oblong vitamin that I might have to crush to get it down but I like the results and as long as surgeon say's there ok I'll keep buying them. I think they're around 6.00 at walmart and you get a large botttle.
wishing you continued success with your weight loss journey and good health too.
Donna

donna.things have changedso much since I had my rny in 2003. they call it back in the oldendays when I was much younger. I found zinc, prenatal,and b6 kept me from hair los plus the fact that whatevr it took I got in 70 gr of protein daily. I ate a lot of yogurt with powdered milk.eggs and slowly solid foods that were mashed or cut in small chewable pieces. avoided the whites.bread,pasta.potatoes,junk food. I have a friend who is below her goal weight and eats anything she wants. I could never eat . one of anything,if it's around I have a really hard time leaving it alone. I actulyylost about 20 more pounds than I needed and it was hard to gain and then after 5 years it creeped back on. I had gaiuned about 50 lbs of my weight back and now only have 40 lbs til I will be at my goal weight. I have not heard from anyone on the site that has ha that kind of a weight regain. glad you have joinedthe site.....patti

Some hair loss is quite normal in post-op patients due to the bodys stress response-it does grow back-it usually shows up a few months after surgery.

I have had my surgery yet, probably not until Jan 2013. But when I had back surgery, I lost a good portion of my hair; enough that I had to buy a wig. My drs told me it was caused by stress. It took about a year before I could get a decent hair cut and back to the way my hair was before surgery. This issue scares me alot, losing my hair!!!

Hair loss started at about 4 months. I have a protein shake with skim milk every morning which has 21 grams of protein. I get the rest of my protein from food at lunch and dinner. I stay with the higher protein foods. My vitamins have both zinc and biotin in them. I recently started taking additional biotin and am hoping this helps. I went through this before when I was taking prednisone in high doses for a long time. My hair came back, but it took awhile. My hair is everywhere. Maybe I should add the zinc and another protein shake. I went wig shopping during my last event and it was awful. I will ask my hairdresser if there is any products she knows of that can help. I will pass information on if she recommends anything.

My nutritionist recommended an OTC called Hair, Skin and Nails. It has biotin, zinc and other things in it. It worked for me. I get mine at Costco and have seen it at Walmart and Rite Aid.

Fructis shampoo has a a shampoo called fall fight it has biotin in it . Its a new shampoo.much love renie

Back