• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hair Loss after Weight Loss Surgery

I have been losing hair like crazy!! I hate it! I thought I would have a little fall out but it come in handful every time I run my fingers through it! I brush my hair it fills my brush. I use to have VERY thick hair and I bet I have half as much now. Be prepared as each person is different!

Ive heard this too in a live support group session led by a surgeon. They said that it usualy happens in the first year but is only temporary and will grow back. They said that it is usualy only a slight thining out.

I have just recently started thinning out my hair. I used to have thicker hair, but kinda of like it thinner. Though I was concerned about my protein intake. I eat as much protein as I possibly can, though its not always easy. I cannot have any milk products, so many things are not an option for me. I also cannot handle iron pills, every time I take them I get sick. Any ideas on this? Along with if I remember correctly someone, and I was thinking it was Pat99 had posted something about a supplement you can take for the thinning hair.

hi nana i believe pat99 said it was Biotin suppliment , but check with your doctor to make sure he says you can tke it . there also a supplement called hair skin and nails , i use a topical drop called NU-HAIR its all natural and u apply it to the scalp , i used this for yrs before the surgery it works well for me. they use to sell it at walgreens now i get it online at NU-HAIR.COM. there's also a shampoo called Garnier Fructis they have a new shampoo with Boitin and caffeine in it its called fall fight , it's made esp; to help prevent hair from falling out and breaking off . ok i have rambled enough , im sorry .i hope some of this stuff helps you . i have dealt with thin hair my whole life and NU-HAIR was my savior .

renie

Hi renie
i buy at walmart a vitamin suplement called" hair,skin & nails it has made my nails get harder and much longer and also helped with my hair. I haven't bought any in the last 2 months and i have been experiencing hair loss again, so as soon as i get paid i am gonna buy it . For it was very beneficial to me. Tired of my nails breaking off and my hair falling it, the supplemet really does work. I think it cost under 6.00 i believe nature made is the co, that makes it. Hope this helps you and others.
Donna

The supplement I used is Hair Skin and Nails, it contains biotin and zinc along with other things. I found it at Costco but have also seen it al Walmart. My nutritionist recommended it. It stopped my hair from thinning out. At 10 months post surgery I was told by the surgeon and nutritionist to stop taking the supplement. I stopped taking it and so far no more hair thinning.

Back