• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hair loss

rnldybg

I am about 14 weeks post op and am losing hair by the handfull. I am eating enough protein, taking my vitamins, and drinking enough fluid. Anyone have experience with this? Is it normal? Thankful for my previously full head of hair because I have lost about 1/2 of my hair. Help! Thanks

RNLDYBG-I started a thread months ago about hair loss. You might want to go back and read some of the posts. Look under General Post Op Chat, page 3. I was told to take an OTC called Hair, Skin and Nails. I was also told there was no guarantee that it would work but it completely stopped my hair loss in about 3 weeks. You can get it at Costco, Sam's Club and WalMart. It is very inexpensive.

I had surg. in 2005 and yes, I went through the hair loss thing too. It is normal - even if you didn't have RNY surg. - surg. itself is a shock to the body. I think anestisia causes it too. And I had a lot of hair! My brother made a comment and then I stupidly went and cut it into a bobb. Keep up with your protein and vits. It will take a while for your body to adjust. There are also hair,skin,nail vits that you can take too. I never found that "special shampoo" worked very well either.

I know it freaked me out when I saw how much hair would come out while brushing it but it did come back. And, think of it this way, if you're really compliant with all the vits, protein, minerals,etc. that you should be getting your hair will show it. I even took pre-natal vits rather than the hair, skin, nail vits because I needed the iron. That worked great for me. (When I was in college I lived upstairs from these guys in a band. They all had long beautiful hair (like not a split end in site and to their waist) and they took pre-natal vits.

Just give yourself some time, your body needs to adjust. It will come back.

Deb

I have not had the problem with this surgery, but did with another medication I was taking. I was able to stop it, but my hair continued to fall out for months. I am happy to report that my hair is back to where it was. You have lost a great deal of weight in a short period of time. I would ask your doctor and get recommendations from your nutritionist. Good luck. I know this can be devastating.

Having the RNY rather than having one of the other surgeries puts one at much greater risk of hair loss bcause of malabsorbtion. That's why it is CRITICAL to keep all follow up appointments and take your vitamins and supplements that were recommended. You must, without fail, have your bloodwork done at the recommended intervals. Even though I followed everything to a "T" my hair still started falling out but I have had no other issues. I'm happy that the Hair, Skin and Nails supplement worked to stop my hair loss and also have the added benefits of stronger nails and nicer skin.

I recently read on this forum about 2 people that have lost teeth after their surgeries. I plan on discussing this with my surgeon on my upcoming visit and also with my dentist. This is the very first time I have heard about tooth loss associated with WLS and am hesitant to buy into it until I complete my research. In any event, I will continue to take all of my vitamins and supplements on a daily basis even though I sometimes don't feel like it.

I am also 14 weeks post op and same exact issue. I had long blond hair and i was losing by the handful each time i even touched my hair. I would sit in the shower and sob! I went and got 6 inches cut off and it once again looks very healthy and shiny. It was a good 3 weeks though that I was losing an enormous amount of hair. The doc said that your body is responding to what happened 3 months ago, well and 3 months ago I was getting very little protein since i was just out of surgery. Hope that helps!!

Thank you all for your posts. I picked up the supplement from BJs yesterday. Hopefully it will help. Never considered myself a vain person but losing all this hair was really starting to freak me out. Even at my heaviest I always got compliments on my hair. So losing it so much of it really is scary. It is so reassuring to hear that it comes back. I just want you all to know how much your replies help. Thank you and hope you all have a wonderful day :)

I saw my Dermatologist yesterday and asked the question about hair loss. He told me that "some" people have the problem but not everyone. In any case, it will grow back. I also asked him if there was a prescription or non-prescription medicine on the market that would cause your hair to get thicker, because mine has thinned with aging. He said no. Why is it that the drug company's can create all sorts of things for men but never create anything for women? If I have to, I guess I'll wear a cancer cap until my hair grows back, if needed.

Hi, rnldybg,

I hope the new supplement is beginning to show some result.

You said you're eating enough protein. How much is that, exactly? The recommended amount of protein for wls patients varies wildly from physician to physician (or nutritionist).

Please check in. Let us know how you're doing.

I had my surgery April 25, 2012. At first my hair was fine. About one month ago it starting coming out. I don't have thick hair and this is worrying me. Dr office says up protein.

I just went to my bariatric seminar. I am going to have either the gastric bypass or the sleeve. You post of hair loss is scary to me. How do you feel about having decided to do the sleeve. Are you happy you did it?

Hi i know from past surgeries that when i lost my hair i too freaked out but the walmart brand of hair, skin and nails really works hair came back nice and thick like before and also got the extra benefit of healthy fingernails that were actually long enough to want to paint them and be proud of them. It takes a bit for the vitamins to build up in our body but they work,they did for me.
I've never found a product that thickens hair either due to aging and it becomming thinner, but don't give up hope,
donna

Hair, Skin and Nails is actually "Biotin". You might want to compare prices between the two. It "may" be cheaper to simply buy straight Biotin. You can purchase it in higher dosages, too. I've been using it for years, and it does wonders.

I am worried about the hair loss also. I am going to start taking the skin hair and nail supplements now. I have not been assigned a surgery date yet. Still a few tests. My cousin had her surgery about four months ago and lost a lot of weight & also a lot of hair. The doctor changed some of her meds and it has slowed down. But, there is a shampoo I can't recall the name has placenta in it. Its found at some health food stores, it helped my aunt with her chemo. I loss all of my hair years ago in a fire , it cause a chemical reaction, so being thinner is better I guess then bald. But I plan on seeing my doctor & dentist on every visit. Good luck and look around I shop at health foods Unlimited, the shampoo & conditioner I am going to try. might be cheaper online. Best of luck. I dpn't want to lose mine again either. But even the baldness grew back.

The OTC Hair, Skin and Nails worked for me. My hair started thinning out 5 weeks after surgery. The hair thinning stopped just 3 weeks after taking the supplement. I continue to take it and won't stop until at least a year post surgery when I know I will consistantly eat enough protein. I still fight to get in my 60 grams a day even after 7 months post surgery. I'm just not a big fan of protein but try to get enough in daily.

If you can get your surgeon or bariatric nutritionist to talk to you about hair loss, the general consensus seems to be it's an issue of insufficient protein and zinc. That's why it usually hits between 3 and 5 months out. It takes that long for your levels to drop low enough to affect your hair. Be sure to check with your medical professionals for safe zinc supplementation levels.

I'm going to look into that supplement, Pat. Starting now seems like a really good idea, Angel. I'm glad you mentioned it.

The hair loss is an emotional thing. I had very full, long hair. I had several surgeries after the RNY, breezed through that, so between the gastric bypass and anesthesia which makes you lose it also it was horrible. Don't be afraid. It will come back. I am 4 years out and mine is so thick they want to thin it out when I get it cut. My friend who is a hairdresser said to skip the Biotin and just take prenatal vitamins. I ok'd this with my surgeon before hand. It stopped falling out, I cut my hair short, and it came back great. Now I am worried about it thinning as I start menopause. Ahhhhh the worries of life1

I started losing my hair after the 1st of this year just figured the menopause. I've been using biotin for about 2 months and I can tell a big difference it's coming back in.I also have quite a bit of hair but was losing in the front.

HI Guys,

So I think I can finally say the hair loss has slowed down if not stopped. I am getting between 60-70 grams of protein a day (surgeons recommendation), taking my vitamins and the hair, nails and skin supplement from BJs. Finally there is not a huge ball of hair at the bottom of the shower and I cannot pull it out by the handful. Hopefully this stays this way. Thanks again for all the supoort and recommendations. I appreciate it.

Back