• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

handling cravings

mam

Happy New Year to all! Wondering if anyone has some good tips to handle hunger cravings- my appetite is back. I recently heard it's important to add foods that make you chew to get that feeling of satisfaction...has anyone heard this? I'm planning on throwing some almonds and cashews into yogurt to see if that helps me. I'm still aiming to lose 20 to 25 more pounds. I had started eating sandwiches with wheat bread but now use lettuce in place of the bread to reduce carb intake and keep calories down. I've been stuck at the same weight for several months now so am trying to break my plateau. thanks everyone for any suggestions!!

I just want to say nuts of any kind should be avoided. They are LOADED with calories and bad fats. Just two or three cashews is a nightmare of dietary horror.

The resources others have mentioned are probably good, but if you want it straight from the bible of food, go to the FDA website. It breaks down every single food you could possibly consume by all components from fat to protein to nutritional benefit, vitamins and minerals.

It's so important to read labels. And labels can be deliberately confusing and tricky because they might list the percentage of RDA, but you might read it as a percentage of nutrition.

I actually started a journal after I had my surgery in 2008. I wrote down every single crumb I ate, and made columns (you could just use a ledger book and take advantage of the fact that it has columns you could customize) and i used measuring cups, spoons and a kitchen scale to make sure I knew EXACTLY what I was consuming. I lost 75 pounds in my first 3 months because of this, then slowed way down and stalled for a while, but it was all good. Even if I wanted to eat something that wasn't on my self-approved list, I wrote it down, and just accepted it as a normal blip I approved of, because I'm not perfect and it helped me realize that. I was so highly pressured to BE perfect (strict Christian upbringing) that any tiny sin or mistake... oh, I can't even tell you how deeply it affected my self esteem.

Anyway, here's the thing: People like us, who have become so obese we need surgery to deal with it, are different than the people around us who seem to eat anything they want without ever gaining an ounce. And THAT'S OKAY. We are special, and we have to study and learn about food and exercise and how digestion works.

But the one thing we don't need, no matter how often we fail, is shame. Shame is what gets most of us into this in the first place. Just stand outside yourself and look within. Take a passionless inventory of where things should change. Do not criticize yourself. Get smart and then ENJOY EATING. It's a good thing. We live in a really messed up society where body image is concerned. I hate this expression but I'm going to use it: IT IS WHAT IT IS.

You have the power to change, but the self-criticism you may feel is part of the eating disorder you have. People who are obese have an eating disorder. Period. You may not be bulimic or anorexia, but if you didn't have a disorder, you wouldn't have any problems relating to food, or cycles of shame beating up your brain. Trying to look like a fashion model is a trap. It's smarter to learn to think holistically.

And of course, practice acceptance. OF EVERYTHING AND EVERYONE. I don't mean politics and stuff. I mean, love everyone. The Bible verse that advises us to do unto others what we'd have them do to us should be tattooed on our brain.

But don't eat nuts as a snack. Even chips would be better than nuts.

I already said how much I appreciate this group in my "happy new year" post, but let me say it again. I read this group every day. There's nothing else I read every day, including email or the bible. I try to read affirmation books often (I have about a dozen) but this group edifies me in a way no "spiritual" book ever could. You are all so brave for being here and sharing. As others have said, I appreciate this group so much.

Make sure that along with the effort you've put in to get to and through surgery, you study nutrition at an official government site. Then before you put that cashew in your mouth, you'll know what impact it will have on your body.

Hm. I am interested to see what the seasoned people on this support group contribute to this thread. Here's something I found online with four tips: 4 Tips To Curb Food Cravings After Bariatric Surgery - Olde Del Mar. I have a friend at work that crochets the cutest stuff. Now I'm thinking that might be a good thing for me to keep my hands busy so they stay out of trouble.
I did crocheting after I quit smoking in 93. Had to stop when my wrists started hurting to avoid karple tunnel. I loved working with string instead of yarn I put several pieces in the county fair. I got like 3 firsts and 1 second.

Last edited:
These are great suggestions, thank you! I see your point about the nuts. Is a handful of almonds (say 10) really bad to add? My thinking was that although they are high in calories and fat, they are also high in fiber and I can always use more fiber. I'm making a call to the surgeon's office today to schedule an appointment with the team psychologist to see if he can also help me flesh out because i am wondering if it's also a "mind" thing. I have never tried to crochet before, that's a good idea! To keep the mind and hands out of trouble is a never ending struggle :)

Both myself and my nutritionist will have to disagree with the idea that nuts are bad. They ARE high in calories ( 170/oz) so stick to the suggested serving size and only 4 servings per week.

Nuts have unsaturated fats and plant sterols, both of which help lower bad cholesterol. Fiber to help you stay full longer. Omega 3 for heart health. Etc etc

And you are correct about the chewing thing. That crunch is amazing. I like to add some to my berries and yogurt. I also sometimes add pumpkin or sunflower seeds or just a healthy dry cereal. A half of a serving is usually enough for that.

Fresh veggies also offer up a nice crunch factor. I make my own (fat free) hummus and use sliced radishes, carrots and cucumber in place of pita chips.

Hunger does come back, although not as strong as before imo. Its important to bulk up your diet with healthy options rather than just adding food. Also, I was told to eat 5-6 small meals a day and I still do that. Although I guess most might be considered snacks lol But, for me, eating more often means I'm never so hungry I overeat. I might make a bad choice here and there but that's different lol

This discussion thread has made me realize I should check in with the dietician in my surgeon's office. if i recall, she was not a fan of nuts, but liked seeds. we all eat different things - i like the idea of sliced radishes, that's something new for me. I think i will experiment with a few trials - using more chia seeds and pumpkin seeds are manageable.

I agree with Missy regarding the nuts. I also tend to eat a small amount about every 3 hours. I’ve found that if I stick with more protein dense foods, instead of quick digesting carbs, I eat less at a sitting and feel satiated much sooner with the smaller stomach. I also like to take the opportunity to get my water in when I’m feeling hungry or craving something. Seems to fill the baby stomach right up!

Nuts have monounsaturated fatty acids...good fats. Still, they can be high in calories and should only be eaten in moderation. I love a serving of nuts from time to time. Sometimes they hit the spot like nothing else could. I have a salt restriction, so eat the unsalted ones and never realized before just how sweet they actually are naturally.

Back