• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hard to hit protein target

Dlkm

Hi guys, My challenge this week is hitting my protein amount since I am starting to eat pureed food. If I do protein drinks in between I feel overfull and don't even want to think about drinking anything. Ugh! Suggestions appreciated!

My dietician suggested protein drinks first because it’s helping meet the protein and liquid goal, then move onto food/purée. I don’t always do that now, but I’m 3 months out. That’s what I do, but I’m sure there are a lot of other suggestions. I did also add unflavored protein powder to my purées.

My dietician suggested protein drinks first because it’s helping meet the protein and liquid goal, then move onto food/purée. I don’t always do that now, but I’m 3 months out. That’s what I do, but I’m sure there are a lot of other suggestions. I did also add unflavored protein powder to my purées.
Can I ask what kind of unflavored protein powder you use? I haven't tried that. I am on puree stage right now.

how do you feel about Dairy and eggs? These are the easiest, softest, highest protein items you can eat after surgery. I just posted a resource detailing how things went for me after surgery in 2007. Have a look:

Thank you for the suggestions! I finish my second round of antibiotic for 'a nasty sinus infection on Sunday so I am going to see if I have better luck with keeping real food down after I get off of this medication. Last couple of days I have resorted to doing straight protein drinks 3x's a day.

It's okay if you have to continue to drink shakes. Maybe start by just having pureed food for your dinner. Everyone heals at their own pace and it's okay if you need a to build into the full puree diet. Better to be a few days behind the suggested timeline than to either injure yourself forcing it or not getting enough nutrients because you cant eat them all. Hope you feel better.

Back