• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Has anyone had the duodenal Switch?

Kapoorvilla

I am still in the research phase of deciding what surgery to go with. I am meeting the surgeon for the first time on Jun 14th. I think I need more than restriction. I do fine myself able to restrict me eating for long periods of time. Where I fail is when doing so does not produce weight loss. I give frustrated give up and pack back on the 50 lb difference restriction does make and therefore remain in a horrible cycle. For this reason I think I need more than restriction.

That leaves me with the switch or bypass. What are the deciding factors between the two? I have read that the switch has a more normal eating pattern while still producing greater weight loss than the bypass. However my sister remembers the lady at the seminar saying the Switch has the greatest chance for complication. No dumping with the switch but some experience diarrhea continually. Also the malabsorbtion of vitamins and nutrients seems to be an issue with both. I am just giving all the info I read can anyone give me what their real life experience has been with switch?

Back