1. American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!
    Dismiss Notice

Has anyone hid their surgery from family/friends?

Discussion in 'Pre-Surgery Questions, Requirements, & Testing' started by FireRSQmom, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Kami

Kami New Member

Surgery Type:
    VSG
    Surgery Date:
    Jan 2018

I too am having a hard time telling my family and friends about my decision to have vsg surgery. I have told one parent and my best friend and that's it to people know of this huge decision making. Why don't I have the courage to just tell everyone? It's not like they're going to know something has changed in me come January well maybe by March not do a change

2. Tracy Lindenmuth

Tracy Lindenmuth Bariatric Guru

Surgery Type:
    Bariatric bypass
    Surgery Date:
    December 22, 2016
    Start Weight:
    Current Weight:
    Goal Weight:
    I told the world, some loved the idea some hated it, just go with what you feel is best for you, they will never feel what you feel, you go for it

QueenofDhygiene likes this.
  3. Memex5

Memex5 New Member

Surgery Type:
    Gastric bypass
    Surgery Date:
    TBA
    Start Weight:
    Current Weight:
    Goal Weight:
    I wish I kept it more private! A couple people already putting a negative spin on it. Instead of saying supportive comments I'm hearing about the complications they've "heard" about from other people who knows someone who knows someone's sister's friend's cousin had! I am aware of the "possible" but not certain complications...that's all a part of the research you do and information your doctor goes over!! All I ask is to be positively supportive! Good luck to you!

4. Frances

Frances New Member

Surgery Type:
    Gastric Bypass
    Surgery Date:
    Not set
    Start Weight:
    Current Weight:
    Goal Weight:
    Thanks for everyone sharing. I’m in the testing and insurance waiting stage so no surgery date yet. I’ve heard so many success stories and I’m excited and hopeful to have the same results.
    I have only shared with a couple of people because I am paranoid of not being approved. Once I get my surgery scheduled I will tell more friends and family. I am pretty sure most will be very supportive because they know how my weight is holding me back from being my best and causing several health problems.
    I have my final nutritionist visit and one more test in February, so praying I will be scheduled soon after those are completed.

5. Tracy Lindenmuth

Tracy Lindenmuth Bariatric Guru

Surgery Type:
    Bariatric bypass
    Surgery Date:
    December 22, 2016
    Start Weight:
    Current Weight:
    Goal Weight:
    Good luck, I'm sure you will be approved, your life is going to be awesome

6. Frances

Frances New Member

Surgery Type:
    Gastric Bypass
    Surgery Date:
    Not set
    Start Weight:
    Current Weight:
    Goal Weight:
    Thanks !

7. BonnieJo

BonnieJo New Member

Surgery Type:
    Unsure
    Surgery Date:
    Unsure
    Start Weight:
    Current Weight:
    Goal Weight:
    I am still trying to decide if I should tell anyone it not. My spouse, 5 children, Dad, and a few friends are all that know. When the time is near, I will probably tell my adopted mom,dad, and siblings because I have been upset at them for having surgery and not telling me about it. I know they will be supportive, but they all are gossipers and I am scared to death if the extended part if that family because most have already said that they wouldn't have surgery because it is the easy way out... However it's those people who have diabetes, heart issues, etc who are happy with doing nothing... I am not that way, I am active even with the extra 150 lbs, and now that my kids are starting sports and such I am really struggling to just sit back and watch...

8. Pixx

Pixx Bariatric Guru

Surgery Type:
    Gastric Bypass
    Surgery Date:
    6-19-17
    Start Weight:
    Current Weight:
    Goal Weight:
    There is nothing easy about this surgery, and it is most definitely not an easy way out. It's hard, it's life changing, and it takes strength and commitment to achieve your goals. It is a tool to help you succeed, but you will have to do it on your own. I approve of supportive people knowing, but if you feel like they will be negative in any way, feel free to let them know after you've lost some weight are feeling great. :)

Tracy Lindenmuth likes this.