• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

has my weight loss stopped already?

pjb

i am 6 wk out now. I lost a significant amount of weight the first week. In retrospect it was probably mostly from being dehydrated. Since then I have lost 3 pounds a week for the next couple of weeks, then last week 5. This week I lost NOTHING. How is that possible? I walk every day it doesnt rain. I struggle to get in 800 calories. Is it possible my body has adjusted to the 600-800 cal/day and is ok with it? Am I done losing? I have been so frustrated and down this weekend. Please tell me it isn't over!

Are you getting plenty of protein? You need protein to lose the weight. Too little and the body goes into starvation mode. Keep up the good work!

i am 6 wk out now. I lost a significant amount of weight the first week. In retrospect it was probably mostly from being dehydrated. Since then I have lost 3 pounds a week for the next couple of weeks, then last week 5. This week I lost NOTHING. How is that possible? I walk every day it doesnt rain. I struggle to get in 800 calories. Is it possible my body has adjusted to the 600-800 cal/day and is ok with it? Am I done losing? I have been so frustrated and down this weekend. Please tell me it isn't over!

It's really early to worry about caloric intake. That's a lot of calories to be able to ingest only six weeks out. What are your post-op eating instructions? Are you following them? What are you eating?

To expand on what Karen_golfs pointed out, right now and for some while to come, you need to think protein, protein, protein and fluids, fluids, fluids!

What is the minimum amount of protein your post-op instructions say you are to have daily? 60 grams? 80 grams? Are you getting that? From what?

Let us know how you're doing on protein intake. If it's good, maybe somebody else will have other suggestions to help.

i think my protein intake has been slipping. since i started soft foods a couple of weeks ago i havent been getting in the 60-70 that i am supposed. I have been avoiding the protein shakes since i was so tired of them. but maybe i will have to add one or two back. Thanks karen and qaterra, i will try upping the protein

What the others have said is true. You really need to up that protein. The body will go into starvation mode to protect itself, the muscles and vital organs. The weight will come off. We all go through plateaus. Our nutritionist said not to worry about calories, just count your proteins and use shakes as necessary to supplement what you need. We were told to limit the carbs to no more than 16 Grams per meal too. Works for me. You haven't stopped losing, just a little plateau. Joy

Hi All, I'm 5 weeks post op and just started back to work this morning. I have been following the doctors protein requirements and the vitamins but have also not lost any this week. I have been having problems with being regular though. Did anyone else have this issue? Thanks. Sky

well i definately have a new "regular"! For me its every 4 days or so. If I go more than 5 days I do take a childs size dose of milk of mag but that has only happened 2x in almost 7 weeks.

Hi, Sky and PJB, Plateaus are normal and happen when our bodies are adjusting to the weight loss and muscle gain where we start to equalize the amount of muscles gained and fat lost, which is goiod because that will help speed up our matabolism allowing us to burn calories more efficientl. I do agree that you really need to keep your protien intake up above 60 grams because our bodies will go into starvation mode and start to burn muscle and not fat. You both are doing really good just stick to your post op meal plans and keep sipping lots of fluids. :cool: Tom

It has not stopped. This is not a diet so I wouldn't expect to lose every week. What everyone said about your protein and fluids. I have lost on average 1 1/2 pounds per week. Some weeks nothing at all. After 6 1/2 months I have come to realize this is what my body feels comfortable letting go of. I have followed my food plan without any slips. I just remind myself that losing is the easy part and that maintaince will be the challenge for me. How many times have you lost weight quickly only to gain it back. This weight loss is gone for good and won't be coming back. I beleive it was Karenia who said this to me in the beginning. She is right. Also I find that losing slowly has given me the opportunity to make the behavioral changes I will need to use for the rest of my life. You really are doing okay.

I agree with Kim. My surgeon and nutritionist said the same thing about only losing as little as 1/2 lb. a week and as much as 1 1/2 lbs. a week and some weeks losing nothing.

I've been feeling the same way. My husband has been very encouraging though and he is right. I've been jumping on the scale way too often and need to stick with my once a week look at the scales or I will go crazy. I'm 5.5 weeks post-op myself right now and my doctor says I'm doing great. I'm getting plenty of protein and following my vitamin plan to the T. A problem I was having was feeling starving or nausious with no happy medium. My doctor said that I needed to reduce my two shakes a day to one shake a day and eat more protein. Also, he said to slow down my eating when I have a meal. We all have to tweak the program from time to time to compensate for what our bodies need so no worries, just hash it out with your nutritionist and doctor. Keep up the good work!

Thank you all so much for the encouragement. Its a more emotional frustration I think than anything else. We will get there and thank goodness for our support people. The road is much less bumpy when its shared!

Back