• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Having a choice besides surgery

I went to the sessions about the bariatric surgery. I have talked to my parents, my partner, and my therapist. They are all against the surgery. I am looking more towards going on the medical diet with ocifast diet. I talked to my doctor today and what I was thinking about doing - medically not surgical and he seemed pleased with my decision. I am so scared of what will happen down the road with surgery. It is a life time commitment. I only have 70 lbs to lose so I think it would be better to go the medical way instead of the surgery.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad you made a decision and felt comfortable with it. Surgery isn't the right choice for everyone, but as for me, I know I am making the right one, I wouldn't be able to get anywhere without. Good luck with your journey. If you need a support group...check out www.tops.org and click on the locate a chapter link. They have chapters nationwide and have been around for 60 years. They are a non profit organization.

It sounds like you have done your homework and you have made the right descision for yourself, and if your doctor is pleased with your choice then that is a double positive, they know us more than we do in some ways, charting our health over the years. I can tell you it is not a descision made lightly to have WLS and I can at least speak for myself that I had tried everything under the sun and after every small success came falure and to keep trying it one more time over and over again was not workin for me. I am sure many on here would attest to the same (because they have). My doctor was really supportive of my choice to consider this and eventually have the WLS, she was very concerned with my weight and other health issues and had a good history of my strugle.

So like all weight loss programs remember, don't call it a diet that can be so discouraging, it is a meal plan and behavior modification. for some of us it is junk food others portion control and some a little bit of both. Good luck I sincerly hope evrything works for you. :cool: Tom

Back