• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Having a hard time getting my protein drink down.

I can’t use the protein powder, it literally made me sick. Are you using a milk based (Ex- premier) or non lactose like muscle milk? My surgeon told me 50% of patients become lactose intolerant after surgery. Also, report unusual symptoms before they become bigger. You can do this!!

It's pretty common for some people to struggle with the various aspects of post-op life during the first six weeks. For some it's the protein drinks, for other it water, or purees or soft food or many different things.

Basically, do the best you can with very small amounts constantly through the day. Try a different protein drink, or two, or three until you find the right one. Over time and the healing process most people adjust and it starts getting easier. What you are experiencing isn't unusual, but if you feel you are having significant difficulty, always consider reaching out to your bariatric clinic for advice.

My best advice is try to find the highest protein drinks you can find so that you have less of it to choke down. If you can find a protein drink that has 40g of protein, instead of 20 or 30, you can halve what you need to keep down. I know Fairlife makes one with 42g of protein in a 14oz bottle. And if you are still on clear protein, Isopure Zero Carb has a 40g in a 20oz bottle. (It's expensive but you only need it for a short time) Also try drinking a shot glass full every 15 minutes. The slow but steady timing can help.
Those first few weeks, it can be hard to get much of anything down and I think most of us struggled a bit to get our protein and water in. Hang in there, it gets easier.

Hey! I'm Wendy, and I'm two days post op. I'm having a hard time getting my protein drink down. Does/did anyone else have this problem?
I did Wendy, never got over it. The taste is so yucky. I know I don't meet my protein goals, but I do what I can with what I can intake as "normal food". I tried the Fairlife frozen thing sort of like ice cream, I really didn't like it either. It is still in the freezer on its way to the trash in the alley. NOT the same issue with Skinny Cow bars, those taste great to me. The members here have great advice as they have been through it and I feel from what I have seen there is success with the protein drinks, just not me. Sharon
(beautiful profile photo by the way!!)

My best advice is try to find the highest protein drinks you can find so that you have less of it to choke down. If you can find a protein drink that has 40g of protein, instead of 20 or 30, you can halve what you need to keep down. I know Fairlife makes one with 42g of protein in a 14oz bottle. And if you are still on clear protein, Isopure Zero Carb has a 40g in a 20oz bottle. (It's expensive but you only need it for a short time) Also try drinking a shot glass full every 15 minutes. The slow but steady timing can help.
Those first few weeks, it can be hard to get much of anything down and I think most of us struggled a bit to get our protein and water in. Hang in there, it gets easier.
I’ve seen some of the high protein drinks, but they seem to have more sugar than I’m willing to ingest. I like muscle milk. I also mix 12oz fairlife milk with 3T peanut butter powder- 210 calories and 30 grams protein. I get the powder on Amazon sugar free

I get my protein powder from Trader Joe's and can customize whatever kind of protein drink I want to use no. I can make it with water or with magic milk and I can add whatever fruits I want to. The only problem I have ever had with protein drinks has been that I make too much in my blender. Then I have to spend at least two meals drinking a protein shake which defeats the purpose. But I haven't really tried very hard 2 change the amounts of the ingredients so that it could be more concentrated. I recommend not buying pre-made shakes for drinks if you can avoid it. But that's not possible for some people. The Trader Joe's protein powder is really good and comes in vanilla and chocolate. It really saved my life in my early days of post-op. I have a lot of recipes but nothing more imaginative than you could figure out yourself.

Back