1. American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!
    Dismiss Notice

Having a problem with protein drinks.

Discussion in 'Pre-Surgery Questions, Requirements, & Testing' started by Stephanie Midyett, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Stephanie Midyett

Stephanie Midyett New Member

Surgery Type:
    Gastric By Pass
    Hi,
    I am in the process of trying out protein drinks but, after a few sips they make me sick to my stomach.
    Has anyone else had this problem before surgery? Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. Pixx

Pixx Bariatric Guru

Surgery Type:
    Gastric Bypass
    Surgery Date:
    6-19-17
    Start Weight:
    Current Weight:
    Goal Weight:
    Welcome to the group. Yes, I don't like most of them actually. They are gross, the textures are weird and I have done a lot of experimenting. Remember that your taste buds may change after surgery, so don't commit to just one type right now. I bought stuff before my surgery and can't use it now. :( If you can find one you can tolerate it will help during your liquid phase. If not, you can always use unflavored protein powder and add it to soups and broths. I did a lot of this as an alternative both before and after surgery. I still use it now if I'm going to eat soup. It is a great way to get some of your protein in daily. :) Best wishes on your journey!

3. Stephanie Midyett

Stephanie Midyett New Member

Surgery Type:
    Gastric By Pass
    Thank you. I did not know about the unflavored protein.
    Several people have told me their taste buds changed. Does anyone know why that happens?