• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Having a problem with protein drinks.

Welcome to the group. Yes, I don't like most of them actually. They are gross, the textures are weird and I have done a lot of experimenting. Remember that your taste buds may change after surgery, so don't commit to just one type right now. I bought stuff before my surgery and can't use it now. :( If you can find one you can tolerate it will help during your liquid phase. If not, you can always use unflavored protein powder and add it to soups and broths. I did a lot of this as an alternative both before and after surgery. I still use it now if I'm going to eat soup. It is a great way to get some of your protein in daily. :) Best wishes on your journey!

Welcome to the group. Yes, I don't like most of them actually. They are gross, the textures are weird and I have done a lot of experimenting. Remember that your taste buds may change after surgery, so don't commit to just one type right now. I bought stuff before my surgery and can't use it now. :( If you can find one you can tolerate it will help during your liquid phase. If not, you can always use unflavored protein powder and add it to soups and broths. I did a lot of this as an alternative both before and after surgery. I still use it now if I'm going to eat soup. It is a great way to get some of your protein in daily. :) Best wishes on your journey!

Thank you. I did not know about the unflavored protein.
Several people have told me their taste buds changed. Does anyone know why that happens?

They do not make me sick, but it's hard going from food food to a liquid meal and NOT feeling hungry. I still feel hungry after I drink one so I try eating a Greek yogurt with it, but my dietician suggested pouring it over ice which makes it seem like more is in there!

I do NOT like milk! Everything I have tried in the past tasted like milk or was chalky. Someone at my Bariatric office said that Walmart had Premier shakes that were very good. They also mentioned that the Carmel one was not their favorite. They gave tips to drink the shakes refrigerated, unrefrigerated, add water or milk. To me, the shakes are sweet. I like adding crystal light orange or strawberry to the Vanilla ones. I have been looking at other stores and new favors or coming out soon.

I do NOT like milk! Everything I have tried in the past tasted like milk or was chalky. Someone at my Bariatric office said that Walmart had Premier shakes that were very good. They also mentioned that the Carmel one was not their favorite. They gave tips to drink the shakes refrigerated, unrefrigerated, add water or milk. To me, the shakes are sweet. I like adding crystal light orange or strawberry to the Vanilla ones. I have been looking at other stores and new favors or coming out soon.
I love the chocolate and the strawberry, I don't mind the banana once in a while, I drank to many caramel flavors so the are not my favorite anymore lol, these drinks are very creamy and good I still drink one for lunch every weekday at work

Remember that your taste buds may change due to the surgery, and what you like now you may not like later. :( I have a real serious issue with thickness in the protein shakes. I can't stand the muscle milk, atkins, or premiere shakes, they are all way too thick to drink. I even tried watering them down but it doesn't help. You can always use unflavored protein powder as well. I use it quite a bit, but found Annex at a local nutrition store that is super thin and has a high absorption rate so I've been using it now for several months. There is also protein coffee now if you like coffee. Best wishes on your journey!

I haven't seen the versions that go into the coffee, just the coffee protein itself. As for the unflavored, yes, I use Syntrax unflavored in broth, soup, Gatorade and PowerAde Zero and it doesn't have a flavor, it is just white, so I makes things lighter but I can't taste it at all and it keeps my energy levels up. There are other versions, but I haven't tried them to know.

I haven't seen the versions that go into the coffee, just the coffee protein itself. As for the unflavored, yes, I use Syntrax unflavored in broth, soup, Gatorade and PowerAde Zero and it doesn't have a flavor, it is just white, so I makes things lighter but I can't taste it at all and it keeps my energy levels up. There are other versions, but I haven't tried them to know.
My friend who uses this protein is on vacation, when she gets back I'm going to pick her brain for information about this

Costco and sams has premier protein, they have banana cream, chocolate, vanilla. The chocolate is not as sweet tasting as the others. But I love the vanilla and chocolate.

Costco and sams has premier protein, they have banana cream, chocolate, vanilla. The chocolate is not as sweet tasting as the others. But I love the vanilla and chocolate.
Have you tried the Cookies n Cream? It is good. I also tried the Peaches n Cream. This one is not a favorite of mine.

Back