• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hello Can Someone please help???

SmileDiva

Hello,

I am two weeks and three days post my surgery. The first week I did fine, I had my protein shakes and water and was doing good. This Tuesday, I kept getting this sensation that something was stuck in my throat. Mind you I was only drinking liquid protein shake and water. I had an appt with my regular doctor for post op check up this Tuesday and he looked in my mouth(which is not down my throat) and didnt see anything. He said to still keep up with protein shakes but the feeling something is in my throat I cant drink it. So I have only had water since Tuesday. Thursday was the post op with the surgeon, he said maybe it has something to do with the breathing tube during surgery. Today I have been dry heaving and it wont stop, I feel like something is in my throat so when I swallow I start throwing up but nothing is coming up because Im not taking in anything. Today even the water is doing this too. I called the surgeons office and they were at lunch so left a message. No answer. I called the PA # she finally called back and I couldnt get to the phone, she said wait it out a few more days see if it stops. I cant put calories in my body and now its hard for water. I am tempted to go to the ER and have them put a camera down there to see what it is. Im so tired, weak, and frustrated. Has this happened to anyone?? Help....:(

you do need help

You are in a bad way. I have never had anything like that happen. If your doctors will not look at you in a serious manner I would go the to ER. Make sure they know what surgery you had. You need a camera down your throat. It sounds like when they did the surgery the tube they put down your throat caught and now you have a sore. If that is it , it will heal but I am afraid you will get very sick before that happens. Insist on the surgeon to look more seriously into this. I hope you get this solved.
So sorry.

Hi,

You will get dehydrated really fast if you are not able to take in fluids. That is a serious condition and you may need to go to the ER just to be rehydrated and get checked out. They need to find out what is wrong. Just my opinion so please either call the surgeon's office and let them know that this is really bad and not just from the tube in your throat and that you fear dehydration. If you get no satisfaction go to the ER and get this taken care of. I can see the tube in the throat right after surgery but you are over a week out.

SmileDiva-you will definately become dehydrated if you are not able to drink fluids. You need to be persistant with getting in to see the surgeon. I suggest just showing up if they won't set up an immediate appointment. If the surgeon won't see you please get yourself to the ER before you become more dehydrated. Your symptoms indicate you are starting to become dehydrated so don't put this off.

Please let us know how this turns out. We are worried about you.

I'm new to bariatric surgery(DOS 3/05/2013) but I'm also an RN and if you can't eat or swallow, that is considered an emergency, especially if your getting no where with your surgeon. Dehydration is a great concern, plus the loss of protein from your body. Please call today, be peristent, don't let them blow you off. They accepted your life is in their hands the minute you signed the surgery consent. Good luck and PLEASE act fast.

Back