• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hello Everyone

Update: I got a positive COVID test BEFORE surgery, so the date is now October 18. I'm still doing the two week preop diet and lost 5 pounds.

It seems to me that the weight loss diet is like the money diet. You can't EAT everything you WANT, just like you can't BUY everything you WANT. I am pretty good with budgeting and saving. I am able to RESIST BUYING things, so maybe I will be able to RESIST EATING things, too. I hope so. I did accounting looking forward, so maybe I can count calories looking forward, too.

I'm already watching my husband and my grandson munching away on chips, hot dogs, cookies, cakes, and other unhealthy foods and thinking to myself "you will be sorry", especially my 13 year old grandson. I wish I could impress on him that protein is important for his sports, just like Gatorade is important for staying hydrated.

Sweets were never my craving. I crave bread, butter, potatoes, and pasta. Those are my evil friends.

Portion control is another difficulty. I am drinking my protein shakes in gulps, and need to work on sips. I add a spoonful of Benefiber to my shakes and that helps me feel full for a longer stretch. I have noticed that since I've been doing the two week preop diet for a month, that I am able to walk away and feel full on smaller portions, but get hungry again in about 2-3 hours. I am eating carrots and green beans for snacks, or a handful of plain almonds.

Yikes! What bad timing for Covid to catch you. It can be hard watching others eat while you're on liquids but it will pay off for you in the long rum so stay strong!!

Also, eating small amounts every 3 hours or so is a great habit to get into. After surgery, you cannot take in larger amounts. I still eat every few hours. But that's where healthy choices come in. You can't eat high calorie food every few hours, so you have to balance it out.

Back