• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hello from NYS

Magpie

Hello everybody. I just joined after struggling with some stuff (unsuccessfully) on my own. Reading about other people's experiences always helps!

I had open roux-en-y surgery in Nov. 2001. My highest weight was 466, and I managed to get down to 160, which I was very satisfied with. I held onto a weight range of 160-170 for about five years, but then became disabled and decided to retire. I'm up to 220 :( It is holding pretty steadily there now, but I'd really like to get back under 200. It's frustrating because I have limited mobility, but that's another story.

The problem I am having, and have had all along, is vomiting. There's no real nausea; I eat a normal dinner, and up it comes. This happens about every other day. No clue as to why this happens, and two endoscopies have shown nothing. If anyone else has had this problem forever, any info or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Magpie

Hello everybody. I just joined after struggling with some stuff (unsuccessfully) on my own. Reading about other people's experiences always helps!

I had open roux-en-y surgery in Nov. 2001. My highest weight was 466, and I managed to get down to 160, which I was very satisfied with. I held onto a weight range of 160-170 for about five years, but then became disabled and decided to retire. I'm up to 220 :( It is holding pretty steadily there now, but I'd really like to get back under 200. It's frustrating because I have limited mobility, but that's another story.

The problem I am having, and have had all along, is vomiting. There's no real nausea; I eat a normal dinner, and up it comes. This happens about every other day. No clue as to why this happens, and two endoscopies have shown nothing. If anyone else has had this problem forever, any info or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Magpie

Hi Magpie! WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!

CONGRATULATIONS on your weight loss and for keeping your weight down for so many years! You have just slipped a little, you had lost over 300 lb in the past. AWESOME!!! You should be able to drop the 50 lb you gained. :)

We are all here to help keep you motivated. I myself lost pretty fast and steady my first year post op. Now I have been losing at a snail's pace the last 6 months. I wanted to get down to 135 lb but I may stop at 150, I'll have to see how it goes. Anyway.. We can do this together!!! :)

I threw up if I ate too much too fast, or ate bread, or didn't chew my food well enough for the first 6 months or so but not lately. I'm not sure why you would be throwing up so long after surgery, that doesn't sound right at all. Sounds like the doctors can't figure it out for you either.

Cheyenne :cool:

Hi have you tried starting back on the blended soft food diet again to sort of reset yourself? Just an idea.

Yes go back to basics.

Go back to liquid diets for a couple of weeks.

Then puree food.

You are probably eating too much and too fast.

Your intake should be limited to the 1200 to 1800 calorie range. 1200 when you are trying to lose and up to 1800 when you are where you want to be and maintain.

A breakfast should be something like 2 eggs and one piece of toast. I barely can get this down.

Remember your first days. One egg was too much for breakfast.

I suspect you are stretching your stomach by eating too quickly and too much at any one sitting.

Shrink it again. Smaller meals. I do 6 small meals a day.

I keep my weight between 195 to 200 now. I did go over this holiday due to sickness, etc., etc.,

I am working my way back down now before it gets away. I am 204 this morning and limiting my intake to 1200 to 1500.

I had gone up to 210 mostly due to prednisone medications as a result of a sinus infection. When up to 210 I really cut back to 1200 or even less.

This is a life long discipline and you cannot afford to give it up.

I understand that you cannot exercise due to a disability. However, I would figure out as much as possible any adaptive exercise that you CAN do and do it.

Best wishes,

Ralph

Back