• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hello from Ohio!

LEL82

Hello!
Just had my surgery on 6/26/23, starting to feel a little better. Looking forward to meeting others on this same journey. I'd love to hear any tips on navigating through these first few weeks. I'm on clear liquids through Saturday. Great to meet everyone. :)

Welcome, Ohio. Congrats on making the life-changing decision to have this very important procedure. Start by going up to the Search box in the upper right corner. Search by topics like "post-op" or "liquid diet" or "how much weight did you lose" or whatever comes to your mind. You've already introduced yourself, but you might want to add a few details, like your first name and how much weight you've lost or want to lose. We're really chatty here and extremely supportive. Give us a chance to show you!

Thanks Dianeseattle! My name is Laurel, I am hoping to lose an additional 100 lbs. So far have lost 48 lbs during my medically supervised diet over the last 7 months. One question, I know the protein and water are most important right after surgery. But, I've heard conflicting information about which is more important if struggling to get in both.

My doctor's office has said the protein shakes do not count towards my fluids. And to focus on fluids first, so at this point I think I'm only consuming water or broth. They want us to consume 48 - 64 oz of water and 60 - 80 oz of protein per day. I know it's early yet for me, but seems incredibly hard to even fathom getting both in. I have slowed all of my drinking down and can manage about 1/4 oz at a time, so it feels like I can't do anything but focus on drinking.

Hopefully the pain in the breast bone eventually goes away as I heal. Maybe this is normal at this stage? Any advice or suggestions. I'm definitely looking forward to making the magic milk. Sounds like that will help when I start on purees over the weekend. Thank you!

welcome Laurel! I am 5 months out from my surgery. My surgeon said the priority was 64 ounces of water daily directly after surgery and then trying your best to hit the daily protein goal. I know it's tough in the first few weeks following surgery. And please be sure to get lots of rest.

One question, I know the protein and water are most important right after surgery. But, I've heard conflicting information about which is more important if struggling to get in both.

My doctor's office has said the protein shakes do not count towards my fluids. And to focus on fluids first, so at this point I think I'm only consuming water or broth. They want us to consume 48 - 64 oz of water and 60 - 80 oz of protein per day.

The best advice I can give you about this is to follow your medical team's instructions, and if you find it difficult to comply, talk to them. Tell them everything, as often as you need to. It's not like they haven't heard it already. They have the right answers for you. We offer you support but you'll find all kinds of different stories here about the same foods, or the difficulty of water intake, or nausea, etc. etc.

The Magic Milk is truly what made everything possible for me. I'm forever grateful to my nutritionist for the recipe. I lived on creamed soup, cream of wheat, smoothies and any other milk-based soupy liquid. I lost 35 pounds in my first month, 25 in the second and 15 in the third. I kept losing but much less than in the beginning. I never would have gotten where I did without Magic Milk.

Congratulations again. Keep doing what your team tells you,, even if it doesn't make sense, and if it seems off, definitely tell them everything that feels wrong. They are here to help you succeed. Their success is directly related to your success.

Best of luck!

Back