• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hello! I’m new and excited!

Hello, my name is Caitlin and I’m new to all of this! I’ve had 2 appointments so far but it’s difficult for me because I am having to do my appointments virtually being that I travel state to state with my fiancé for his work. Going home at the 4 month mark and for the surgery. Traveling all of the time and staying in hotels makes it very difficult to stick with my diet plan, but I am trying my best! Any tips or suggestions?

I would share rhe document given to me by my bariarric team. I'd keep it in a journal and begin my day by choosing my proteins and fruits and vegetables. You should have a nutritionist you can consult, and it's possible you could ask that person to help you a diet based on the fact that you need it in writing. Then divide the foods by category like protein, fruits and vegetables. carry this in an igloo and tote bags. Plan your daily eating based on these lists. You can find them here. Weigh and portions out in the morning and set them out in containers. Then they're premeasured and all you have to do is add the liquid of your choice. You can put premeasured portions in sealed containers and then add the liquid.

My food journal breaks it down and i base each meal on a component of the total nutritional items of the day. Even if you're traveling you can make Igloo congainers, well sealed, and simply dump them in your bowl or plate, then add the liquid.

I've posted the recipes for many, many meals here. They're on my profile.

traveling doesn't lead to failure as long as you begin with planning. plan in advance and then make your portions. Many of your choices can be all hte ingredients except the liquid and your choices of liquids can be paired with the portions. Stick with it. Traveling is often an excuse to fail. It doesn't have to be that way. Pack your foods along with your clothes and cosmetics.

But invest in the double freezer bags to hold each portion. Then all you have to worry about is mixing it. Dont go for the quick and easy kits and suggestions. Write it down and follow your plan.`

I would share rhe document given to me by my bariarric team. I'd keep it in a journal and begin my day by choosing my proteins and fruits and vegetables. You should have a nutritionist you can consult, and it's possible you could ask that person to help you a diet based on the fact that you need it in writing. Then divide the foods by category like protein, fruits and vegetables. carry this in an igloo and tote bags. Plan your daily eating based on these lists. You can find them here. Weigh and portions out in the morning and set them out in containers. Then they're premeasured and all you have to do is add the liquid of your choice. You can put premeasured portions in sealed containers and then add the liquid.

My food journal breaks it down and i base each meal on a component of the total nutritional items of the day. Even if you're traveling you can make Igloo congainers, well sealed, and simply dump them in your bowl or plate, then add the liquid.

I've posted the recipes for many, many meals here. They're on my profile.

traveling doesn't lead to failure as long as you begin with planning. plan in advance and then make your portions. Many of your choices can be all hte ingredients except the liquid and your choices of liquids can be paired with the portions. Stick with it. Traveling is often an excuse to fail. It doesn't have to be that way. Pack your foods along with your clothes and cosmetics.

But invest in the double freezer bags to hold each portion. Then all you have to worry about is mixing it. Dont go for the quick and easy kits and suggestions. Write it down and follow your plan.`
Thank you so much!

Hello and welcome! My husband also travels frequently, as in pretty much always, for work. He has already been sleeved so he's really had to master eating on the go. He mostly sticks to Mexican and BBQ, since both are very protein forward. Meat and beans basically. Try to get hotels with a kitchen, if possible. Then you can at least make some of your own meals.

Now is a great time to get used to protein shakes for breakfast, as well. And download a food tracking app and start tracking your intake. I use Baritastic, as it is surgery based and you can set alarms for when too take your vitamins and when to stop/start drinking with meals. My husband just uses myfitnesspal.

Thank you so much!! This is so helpful! I have been sticking to drinking protein shakes for breakfast as I do not like eating breakfast lol but supper and lunch time has been difficult because we’re usually in a semi and most hotels only have a mini fridge with microwave. But thank you so much for the tips!

Ah, a trucker life. I wasn't thinking about you actually being on the road. That's awesome but may be a little different than living in a hotel for a week at a time. That's where Diane's tips about packing the cooler come in handy.

We took a 2 week road trip once and it was difficult. Gas station, fast food restaurants and diners aren't full of the healthiest options. For me, I found it easiest to stick to low carb. And its cheaper to grab individually prepped veg snacks and salads at the grocery store than it is to eat out all the time anyway.

You can absolutely do it. You've just got to have a plan. The worst thing you can do is to choose foods when you're already hungry.

Hello, my name is Caitlin and I’m new to all of this! I’ve had 2 appointments so far but it’s difficult for me because I am having to do my appointments virtually being that I travel state to state with my fiancé for his work. Going home at the 4 month mark and for the surgery. Traveling all of the time and staying in hotels makes it very difficult to stick with my diet plan, but I am trying my best! Any tips or suggestions?
Welcome! I'm kind of new as well! I started logging everything I eat everyday. Even logging the water. Ordered a 64 oz water bottle with a carrying case. It's been helping me out a bunch.

Back