• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!
I'm 3 weeks out from having my surgery and having a really tough time. I have to go back to work but I am exhausted and shaky all the time and I've gained weight this week. My body is starving, I feel like I'm on drugs. Help please...

I'm 3 weeks out from having my surgery and having a really tough time. I have to go back to work but I am exhausted and shaky all the time and I've gained weight this week. My body is starving, I feel like I'm on drugs. Help please...
Are you able to follow your nutritionist's plan? Please consult with them and give them this feedback. Your system isn't on track yet.

Hi Julie! The first few months were rough for me, but I made sure I walked around the block most every day, drank my fluids, and got as much rest as possible. It does get easier after a while. Please check in with your nutritionist on dietary needs. Good luck and I wish you well!

I hope you're all doing good! Thanks for checking on me.

I am glad you got some answers and are feeling better. I still have pain sometimes, usually due to gas or bowel movements. It is strange because I never felt it so strongly pre-surgery. Yesterday was one of those days. I resorted to Milk of Magnesia (half dose) just to get things moving. It wasn't actual constipation (not hard stools) they just were moving slowly and painfully for no apparent reason. It worked and I felt better after a couple hours. No more pain that day. I am not used to having to take meds for that, but it may be a regular thing of paying attention and taking fiber or laxatives from time to time to slow things down or keep things moving. I have also had days when I felt every time I took a drink from my cold water from my thermos. I wasn't home and had to hydrate, but it was weird how I felt it in my stomach. I have decided room temp or warm clear drinks are more comfortable to consume but that was another adjustment I had to make if I didn't want to feel it. Cold protein shakes and foods don't bother me but Ice tea or ice water does. Again weird discovery, but not uncommon according to my friends who have also been through various bariatric surgeries.

You are not alone on this new "listening to our bodies and feeling everything" journey.

Back