• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hello, i'm new here

hello, my name is Bridget. i just had surgery 1/8/20. I am hoping to meet ppl who can help answer some of my questions and fears at this point! thank you
Hi Bridget and welcome. Congratulations on your surgery! :) Like Bill, I had RNY but there are lots of members on the site who have had the sleeve. You're just a few days in so you must still be sore and taking it slow. My only advice at this point is to try to keep hydrated. You'll probably need to take tiny sips for a while so just be sure to always have water (or some other beverage your doctor approved) nearby and to keep sipping all day long. Please keep us updated.

Welcome to the group, Bridget. What is it that is causing your fear?

You are probably fine and you are expecting too much too soon. You have a long road ahead of you and probably within a year you will be eating solid foods in moderate amounts and buying all new sizes of clothing. Please ask directly, based on the fact that you have so much fear. That needs exploring you are probably fine and you are expecting too much too soon. You have a long road ahead of you and probably within a year you will be eating solid food in moderate amount and buying all new sizes of clothing. please ask directly, based on the fact that you have so much fear. That needs exploring. And and you and you must be in contact with your surgeon at your dietitian, so make sure you get information from them as your first defense before you ask us and before you try to diagnose yourself on the internet. Call your doctor or his surgical nurse or your assigned nutritionist

One question I have is .... when I sip water or my shakes I am having a major cramp pain or sharp pain at the bottom of my breast bone and if I push on it or take a deep breath it stops ... it that normal or am I drinking to quickly? it takes my breath away when it does it and its hard to take a deep breath. When I talked to my surgeon about it they told me as long as I am not running a fever its fine !!

Hi Mary! Good luck to you !! I am hoping that it keeps getting better from here the 1st week has been so rough and a little discouraging but im hopeful that it gets better lol
It really will get a lot better Bridget. You're still full of gas that the surgeon had to fill you with. I'm sure once that works it's way out, you'll feel a lot more normal. Have you been making yourself walk? It really does help.

It really will get a lot better Bridget. You're still full of gas that the surgeon had to fill you with. I'm sure once that works it's way out, you'll feel a lot more normal. Have you been making yourself walk? It really does help.

yes ma'am I have been walking I got 2 miles in today :) i just feel so miserable and im not making my water or protein and its very discouraging to me :-(

yes ma'am I have been walking I got 2 miles in today :) i just feel so miserable and im not making my water or protein and its very discouraging to me :-(
That's great you're walking. Sorry you're feeling crummy but it's kind of to be expected this early. Just keep pushing the water, dehydration would really set you back and make you feel worse. Little sips all the time. Don't even worry about the protein if you can't yet.

Bridget, you are a surgery newborn. Everything that is going on with your body is foreign to you you just spent the last year's in the womb where you could just eat everything you wanted. It's okay to reach out and ask for support can because that is why we are here. But please say more when you use a word like miserable, which could be physical and required a doctor's opinion or emotional, which also requires professional help or it could just be a word that you use when things are not going right. We want to help you but what kind of miserable are you?

Also, take comfort in the fact that thousands and thousands of people have had this surgery and they became great success stories. You are off to a rocky start and yet, you are not! You are doing fantastic for a person who just had surgery a few days ago. Please try to relax and take deep breaths, sip water by the teaspoon after you swish it around in your mouth so it doesn't seem like you're drinking and try not to focus on every little thing that you're feeling, because that is not you. I'm going to guess that is your eating disorder trying to stay in charge. Your eating disorder is sabotaging you by making you think the pain you are experienced is not normal and will never go away.

Bridget, please click on my profile and go look at my photos. They're not just up there as some kind of brag. They are there to show you that once upon a time I was very fat. And I was out of control, and my eating disorder was in control.. But I had weight loss surgery and my body went to the normal place and oh my gosh comorbidities vanish

Your surgeon gave you a guideline. If you are not running a fever, then just deal with the pain that you're feeling. If you need pain medicine, get some. You are entitled to it as a post-op patient. But please just don't keep thinking and thinking and . Your incessant thinking is the voice of your eating disorder. Find a way by getting support and reading and learning and saying affirmations to let your New brain get stronger than your old brain. Believe me it will happen.

I agree with Brenda keep drinking water or you might get dehydrated and end up in the E.R. Like I did a couple of weeks ago with an Iv in you overnight and don’t forget those vitamins if you’re taking them . I also felt like crap for about a month and had to slow down eating and eating too much which would make my stomach hurt

Back