• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hello I'm new to sight looking for friends to share in my weight loss journey 2014

Hi everyone
I'm new to this sight looking for friends. I just had my first appointment and have to do 6 month of nutrition. Would love to hear about your journeys and experience with weight loss surgery. I'm thinking about the sleeve but haven't made up my mind

Hi everyone
I'm new to this sight looking for friends. I just had my first appointment and have to do 6 month of nutrition. Would love to hear about your journeys and experience with weight loss surgery. I'm thinking about the sleeve but haven't made up my mind

Hello and Welcome to the forum. Great place to be to find info and share info on weight loss. Congrats on your decision to start your weight loss journey. Here you will find a lot of excellent information that comes from people that are going through or have already been through the pre and post surgery. I encourage you to come back often there will be something new to learn everyday.

TillieS

Hello and welcome to the forum! This has been a great place to learn about WLS and all that goes into it. I'm getting ready to finish my 6th month of weight management and will soon have a surgery date!. There is so much to know and this place have helped a lot. Feel free to ask questions, there are some really great people here that can help.

Hi everyone

Hi.. WELCOME to this Forum!!! There are many really great people here who are very knowledgeable and can help you with your weight loss journey. :) Look on this site for Linney's videos, which are super informative.

I would love to be your friend. I had my surgery June 2013. I am almost 8 months post op. I've done pretty good but the weight loss has slowed somewhat lately, but is still progressing. Weight loss surgery was one of the best things that ever happened to me and I'd do it over in a New York second!!!

Good Luck to you! Visit here often!!!

Cheyenne

Hi everyone

Hi, Yes welcome.

There are many different folks here from all over the USA and in fact a few from the world.

We have had experiences that will definitely help you tremendously.

I see that you are in the early stages. I also see you are someone that is required to go through the 6 month of nutrition. The more you tell us about yourself the better we will be able to help you.

What is your current BMI. Do you have other medical issues? So on and so forth. For example, many folks today are going with the gastric sleeve. Some of us are going with the gastric bypass. One of the benefits that attracted me to the gastric bypass is that it normalizes T2 diabetes for most people. Today, I started talking to someone who has had a very difficult time with T2 and even after the surgery it is still a problem; that her Doctors believe will resolve itself. She has had control issues of blood sugar all along.

But again, that is what led me to the gastric bypass. My blood sugars normalized right in the hospital. I used to require Metformin ER 2000mg daily and up to 90 units of Novolog fast insulin to maintain my blood sugars between 90-140 and my A1C in the 5's. Now, post op I don't need any diabetic medications at all and my average blood sugar count is generally 110 with signs of it going lower.

I thought I would start out by listing all the benefits I have seen post op of my gastric bypass.

Medical/Physical Maladies that have been resolved to date

• Diabetes resolved – off all meds, avg reading 110
• BP normal again – I am still taking bystolic 5mg. Resting pulse is around 60 and BP near or below 120/80. Without the bystolic my resting pulse is still in the 60s. However, my BP goes up to the high 130s/high 80s.
• Sleep Apnea resolved – I am not snoring nor do I believe I am stopping breathing. I will confirm this later this year. The air pressure from the CPAP machine was making me very uncomfortable; lots of burping
• Legs no longer swollen
• Waist size has shrunk – Wearing size 44 pants comfortably and just made it into 42 pants.
• Feet are smaller – I was able to put a pair of dress shoes on that I haven’t been able to wear.
• I stay under 1200 calories a day. Most days around 1000 calories.
• I have a lot more energy
• I can dance, dance and dance
• I can walk up neighborhood hills aggressively without having to stop; no longer breathless.
• My incontinence due to my prostatectomy has been resolved.
• I am able to sleep in my bed again. I had been sleeping In an upright chair to be comfortable.
• Dramatically reduced backaches; almost completely gone.
• I can bend over and tie my shoes now!
• I can see my toes again 
• I can do dance steps again that I couldn’t do. The belly is gone!
• Now wearing size 42 slacks comfortably and looking forward to size 40 slacks. Just got into 40s but they are snug.
• Starting to sleep on my side again! This has happened in years!
• Intimacy much improved !!! 

So, I gave you a bunch of information for starters. I am sure there are many other stories here to listen to as well. You have six months. By the time your surgery date comes along you will be well prepared.

Also, look up Linney on our site. Linney has prepared a bunch of videos on her journey that I think you will find thoroughly enjoyable and informative.

There are many other success stories to hear as well. Many folks will come to your posts and contribute.

Ralph

Welcome to the forum. We're small, but enthusiastic! I'm somewhat partial to the sleeve. I just wanted all my nutrition to continue on its regular path without re-routing my intestines. Also a factor for me is that I had to have my sigmoid colon removed last year and wasn't sure how much of the rest of my colon I would get to keep.
But it's a highly personal decision, one that your doctor will help you make.

Back