• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hello, newbie here!

Amber C.

Hello everyone!
My name is Amber and I'm approximately 3 months into my active weight loss journey. I've struggle with my weight since I was a teenager. At first, I didn't really care about my weight as my family loved me the way I am. However, I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis at 31 years old! I had to have surgeries on both my wrists and one knee already. I have three girls under the age of 10. The last straw for me was when I seen an orthopedic doctor for knee pain and was told I'd need to lose a significant amount of weight if I ever needed to get a knee replacement. He's the one who referred me to the weight loss doctor I am seeing. That first bariatric appointment changed my life! I have Medicare and Medicaid, so I've only had to do 3 months of supervised diet (plus all the tests). I'm proud to say I've lost 20 pounds since January 24th! I've done all the requirements and am now waiting for the call to set a surgery date. I'm excited and nervous at the same time. I'll be getting the Roux-en Y. My start weight was 266. Althought I have the support of my husband, it's not always the same or enough to just talk with him about this stuff. I'm glad I found this site. There's so much helpful information and reading everyone else's stories is comforting/motivational as well. Thank you!

Hello everyone!
My name is Amber and I'm approximately 3 months into my active weight loss journey. I've struggle with my weight since I was a teenager. At first, I didn't really care about my weight as my family loved me the way I am. However, I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis at 31 years old! I had to have surgeries on both my wrists and one knee already. I have three girls under the age of 10. The last straw for me was when I seen an orthopedic doctor for knee pain and was told I'd need to lose a significant amount of weight if I ever needed to get a knee replacement. He's the one who referred me to the weight loss doctor I am seeing. That first bariatric appointment changed my life! I have Medicare and Medicaid, so I've only had to do 3 months of supervised diet (plus all the tests). I'm proud to say I've lost 20 pounds since January 24th! I've done all the requirements and am now waiting for the call to set a surgery date. I'm excited and nervous at the same time. I'll be getting the Roux-en Y. My start weight was 266. Althought I have the support of my husband, it's not always the same or enough to just talk with him about this stuff. I'm glad I found this site. There's so much helpful information and reading everyone else's stories is comforting/motivational as well. Thank you!
Welcome to the group. You will be so glad you are doing this... I am about 6 weeks post op since the beginning of my journey I was 298-299 I am now at 220 and went from a pant size of snug 42 down to a loose 36. I feel better no more diab meds no blood pressure meds.... And I can see my feet :)

Hello everyone!

Hi, Amber. I joined this group a few weeks ago when I started my process towards surgery (Roux-en Y). This site has been a great place to seek information, vent, and gain support. So, welcome to the group..and keep us updated on your journey.

Hello everyone!
Hello Amber and welcome to the group. I am confident that you will be fine and do great;). We are all just a thread away:D. I also am very thankful and grateful for this site:Dthe American Bariatric Family. Stay encouraged:)

Welcome to the group. You will be so glad you are doing this... I am about 6 weeks post op since the beginning of my journey I was 298-299 I am now at 220 and went from a pant size of snug 42 down to a loose 36. I feel better no more diab meds no blood pressure meds.... And I can see my feet :)
WHOOT WHOOT...great job Keith:p. I know that you are thrilled to be RX free:D. I can see my feet also and this tickles me~

I really am glad I've found all of you! It's too hard to drive an hour and a half to find a support group to attend in person. This is definitely the next best thing. Thank you everyone!

I really am glad I've found all of you! It's too hard to drive an hour and a half to find a support group to attend in person. This is definitely the next best thing. Thank you everyone!
Amber, I also am very grateful to have you and all as family. It is great having the resources available to and for us. Blessings and have a great day.

Hello everyone!
Hi Amber. I hope you receive the same warm welcome I did when I first joined. I am not used to my weight though I was diagnosed with obesity in 2008. I was skinny in my teens and often teased about that. Then when I started gaining I didn't care. Now I regret not keeping the weight off cause although it comes on easy...losing it, whew! Talk about challenging. I don't miss being that thin bit a size 14 wouldn't be too bad either. Again welcome and the very best to you.

Hi Amber. I hope you receive the same warm welcome I did when I first joined. I am not used to my weight though I was diagnosed with obesity in 2008. I was skinny in my teens and often teased about that. Then when I started gaining I didn't care. Now I regret not keeping the weight off cause although it comes on easy...losing it, whew! Talk about challenging. I don't miss being that thin bit a size 14 wouldn't be too bad either. Again welcome and the very best to you.

Thank you Carolyn. I can't remember ever being thin, so I don't really have a size goal. I just want to be healthy and fit enough to be active with my kids. I feel so guilty when I can't play some of the things they want because of my weight. Good luck on your journey!

Hi Carolyn:
Looking back, I never recall:rolleyes: being skinny (my mom and older sis were); however, I was not:confused:. I wore a size 10 and this was, is and will always be welcome in my life:p...as long as I am healthy and happy:):D--I am pleased--Blessings and a nice day:)

Thank you Carolyn. I can't remember ever being thin, so I don't really have a size goal. I just want to be healthy and fit enough to be active with my kids. I feel so guilty when I can't play some of the things they want because of my weight. Good luck on your journey!
I agree Amber...I just want to be healthy and happy. Good luck and God bless you on your genesis of a new YOU:):D

Hello everyone!
I must agree reading other stories help.

Back