• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hello

NormaJean

My name is Norma I am 50 and have been as high as 300 lbs. I have just completed a 12 week program getting ready to have the gastric sleeve. I have dropped 25 lbs during the classes getting ready for surgery. I too have gone back and forth trying to decide to have the surgery or not. Decision made, I am really excited and looking forward to better health.

Hi Norma!

Hi Norma. I had the Sleeve in July and the ONLY time I regretted it was when it was hot and I couldn't chug water! I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

My advice for you is WALK WALK WALK and listen to your new stomach. It will tell you what you're ready to eat and what you aren't.

Congratulations! I wish you the very best of luck!

Hi Norma! A misconception that people have about any kind of weight loss surgery is that they will automatically lose weight. 80% of weight loss is diet. I had to lose 29 pounds before the doctor would do the surgery. I've lost 63 pounds since my surgery. I've found that I have to measure the amount that I eat; this prevents me from eating more than I should. I also read the Nutrition Facts on the back label. With or without surgery, losing weight is work. At 461 pounds, I had difficulty getting around. I still have some difficulty, but it gets better as I lose weight. I exercise as much as I can.

Back