• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hello

Snapdragon

I posted a question already but thought I’d give an introduction too. I’m 45, 5’6” and currently 250lbs. I meet with my surgeon for the first time on March 4, 2021–I don’t have a surgery date yet.

I live in Seattle with my husband and 2 kids. My menagerie is 2 cats, one dog, and 4 urban chickens. My husband had a VSG about 10 years ago but has gained back quite a bit of weight. This makes me wonder about my own ability to keep up with post-op life.

I’m likely to get a RNY because I have a hiatal hernia and a large hiatus. At least that is what the thoracic surgeon said. He wouldn’t fix my hernia because at my weight, the strain on the repair would cause more problems than it would solve.

My insurance excludes bariatric care, so I’m self-paying. Any complications are excluded as well, so I’m putting my family’s financial stability on the line if I go through with this.

I don’t have any rosy vision of a future slender self. I weighed 95 lbs in high school but had a very unhealthy relationship with food, starving all day and binging in the afternoon before anyone came home. I’ve been overweight since college. I’ve gained 20 pounds since lockdown. I feel like there’s a lot stacked against my success, mostly a lack self discipline.

Oh, and I’m bipolar, just for those fun ups and downs. Worried about taking so many prescriptions on a tiny stomach.

My 33 year old daughter has bipolar disorder so I do get what that is like. Definitely discuss whatever meds you are currently taking with both your bariatric surgeon and your psychiatrist. I take Paxil for panic attacks and do find that I have to take it with some food since having the surgery.

I am sorry that your insurance won't cover any of this. That is really rough. Some people go to Mexico because of that and while I am not suggesting you do, if that is something you have considered there is a YouTuber out there that I love to follow and she has a whole vlog on it. You can google MyLevel10life to find out more. I don't watch her because of having surgery in Mexico (mine was done here and thankfully covered by insurance), but she is very inspirational and keeps me motivated.

P.S. I love your menagerie! I've wanted to have chickens but don't think at my age I wanted to take on any more animals. (well maybe just one more little dog, Ha ha!) I have 2 BIG dogs and 4 cats.

My 33 year old daughter has bipolar disorder so I do get what that is like. Definitely discuss whatever meds you are currently taking with both your bariatric surgeon and your psychiatrist. I take Paxil for panic attacks and do find that I have to take it with some food since having the surgery.

I am sorry that your insurance won't cover any of this. That is really rough. Some people go to Mexico because of that and while I am not suggesting you do, if that is something you have considered there is a YouTuber out there that I love to follow and she has a whole vlog on it. You can google MyLevel10life to find out more. I don't watch her because of having surgery in Mexico (mine was done here and thankfully covered by insurance), but she is very inspirational and keeps me motivated.

P.S. I love your menagerie! I've wanted to have chickens but don't think at my age I wanted to take on any more animals. (well maybe just one more little dog, Ha ha!) I have 2 BIG dogs and 4 cats.
I do carry a print out of my med regime with me to all of my appointments. I also keep it on a business card in my wallet in case I need it in a pinch.

I’m definitely a homebody and not the kind of person who would do medical tourism. I’m scared enough traveling without surgery! I do feel like I’m being soaked price-wise but it’s a full hospital with my regular doctor’s group. The surgeons do nothing but bariatrics, which is sort of a bare minimum requirement and one thing that I think specialty clinics excel in.

We’ve had chickens for ten years now. They are fun animals with vibrant personalities. Cleaning the coop/run is the worst part. Otherwise the only real barrier is hefting the fifty pound bags of chicken feed! And fresh eggs are the best! You get such a rich, vibrant yolk.

Hi, Snapdragon and welcome to the group. I had the RNY in June of 2020. Our age/weight range is similar. (49/264 when I started.). I think long term success can and will continue to be a struggle. I go through periods where I do amazing and it's almost easy. Other times I struggle so much I fear for my long term success, as well. However, I have struggled with my weight my entire life. So that probably wasn't ever going to go away. At least now I'm doing it from a healthier place. And I plan to continue struggling from a healthier place. You said your husband gained "quite a bit" back but that is not ALL. Even a sustained loss of 10% of your body weight has positive impact on your long term health. Good luck on your journey.

Hi, Snapdragon and welcome to the group. I had the RNY in June of 2020. Our age/weight range is similar. (49/264 when I started.). I think long term success can and will continue to be a struggle. I go through periods where I do amazing and it's almost easy. Other times I struggle so much I fear for my long term success, as well. However, I have struggled with my weight my entire life. So that probably wasn't ever going to go away. At least now I'm doing it from a healthier place. And I plan to continue struggling from a healthier place. You said your husband gained "quite a bit" back but that is not ALL. Even a sustained loss of 10% of your body weight has positive impact on your long term health. Good luck on your journey.

Hi. I think the post-op experience that you describe is the most like what I’m expecting. I just can’t expect to be magically motivated to be perfect. Thank you for sharing. It makes me feel less alone.

I finally spoke with my husband about his VSG in more depth this weekend. At the time, we were struggling with some developmental delays in our youngest and seeking various therapies for that. He said he wanted to do it and I never really asked him why at the time. I just gave him a thumbs up and did his pre-op diet with him to make that easier and less lonely.

I finally asked him this weekend and he told me that he had had a secret binge-eating disorder. He was stopping for fast food on the way home from work before dinner, or having lunch twice. The more stress, the more food. It was a horrible, out-of-control feeling for him. Now he no longer has that urge. So I can see why he’s still happy despite the weight regaining.

Still, I don’t want to regain as much. I’m just hoping that WLS will reduce my overall hunger. That should make staying on track achievable. If not, it’s going to be a hard slog.

Back