• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Help for Post Surgery Nausea

Laurieann

Today in my class at my Center, our nutritionist said that we were to begin taking Mucinex right now before our surgeries for nausea. She explained that many of us suffer from post-nasal drip and once we have had the surgery, our pouch can be filled with this mucus. She said a good way to tell if it is a sinus drainage is by what is coming back up. If it looks like white foam, it's post nasal drainage. (I know, right? Yuck!) She also suggested Biotin to begin strengthening our hair and to use it as a preventative for hair loss. I was shocked about the Mucinex because I do not remember reading anything about it on here. She said nausea should not last longer than 1 day, and if it does, we are to call our center. She said that these are the most likely causes for nausea: dehydration, not chewing food well, eating too quickly, or inadequate protein intake. So, if I am understanding correctly, if we take the Mucinex for sinus drainage or post nasal drip, then the nausea should not last over a day unless there is a related complication such as a stricture. She also said we will have to drink 1 oz of liquid every 15 minutes. Wow! Have you any of you heard of this?

Last edited:
Laurieann congratulations on your 5 lb weight loss, looks like walking and following the diet plan is working for you. I was never told about Mucinex nor have I read anything about it. maybe it's something new that others have tried an it worked? I had to deal with nausea and dry heaves but it was temporay, there may be others on here whom know more about mucinex. keep up the good work,you're doing good. Donna

Hi Laurie Ann, I never heard about Mucinex, either prior to or after surgery. Of course I've been lucky and never suffered from nausea. If that is what your medical team is recommending, I would say follow their advice.

:cool:

Actually I was given a script for a little patch that I can wear and change every couple of days. Sometimes I take meds that the doctor gave me and it helps eventually. I am pretty lucky though I don't get it that much. As the doctor for something to help you. Don't suffer when you do not have to.

Darkpoetangel did you really lose 119 pounds since October 22 of 2012?? That is a lot of weight in 5 mos. How do you feel? You got to your goal in 5 mos that is pretty good!!

Sorry about the nausea, I understand how you must feel. I was even sick to my stomach after the colonoscopy. My doc says I'm just hypersensitive to the anesthesia. I had two really bad days of the dry heaves, but today much better. I have a prescription for topical phenergan and that has helped wonders. They also gave me the scopolomine patch which I removed today. Kind of wish I still had it on. I hope you get to feeling better.

Back