• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

HELP!!!!How do I know I'm full (2 days post- op)

I just started the liquid and puréed part of my post op diet. How do I know when I have had enough? I feel stupid asking this question. I had 3 tbsp off cream of wheat made with skim milk and protein powder. I left it at that because I heard if I feel full I ate too much. Please help all wise WLS alumni !!!!

You'll know when you are full. If after eating a couple of bites wait for 3-5 minutes and then eat a couple more bites.

I was like you afraid of getting sick, which I did anyway, so I just graze. I set up food that I can nibble during the day and then eat a tiny bit. I would get nauseous and wonder am I hungry or feeling sick. I'd eat a little bit and feel better. Now my doctor wants me to try to actually eat a tiny meal as described above and try to get full. She wants me to have 4-5 tiny meals a day.

I know when I'm full but the trick is slowing down to let the full impact of fullness catch up to the brain or the belly will rebel. I'm 10 weeks out and still learning. Course I could be a little "slow" to catch on too.

trust that you will know. Some have tightness that is almost pain and others feel bloated. You will start to recognize what your full alarm is in time. Just eat slow and listen to your body. I am guessing you have the full feeling just from drinking water to fast. That is how I learned my signal.

good luck

I was the same way. I know if I eat to much I get a bloated feeling or pains in my chest under my breast. In the beginning if I had 2oz of something and got the pains the next time I would only have 1oz. I notice if I drink to much I feel the same way. Don't worry it is a learning experience.

I get the bloated crampy feeling along with a bad case of the hiccups.
My surgeons nurse told me my hiccups come from my diaphragm is spasming from being over stimulated from the pouch being to full...

Remember where your pouch is now...

Thanks a lot!

My stomach hurts all the time anyway since I just had the surgery Friday. I am hoping once it all heals that my clues will become more clear. Thanks a bunch guys.

Like everyone else has said you will know. I was so afraid of getting sick and feeling full that I too only had a few tablespoons for like the first week or two but then one day I just kind of figured I needed to know what my limit was so I had a few more bites and I could definitely tell where that mark was. Take you time you just had surgery you can't get everything figured out at once.

I get the bloated crampy feeling along with a bad case of the hiccups.
My surgeons nurse told me my hiccups come from my diaphragm is spasming from being over stimulated from the pouch being to full...

Remember where your pouch is now...
I was just about to ask if anyone else got the hiccups! That is definitely my sign that it's time to stop.

I too get the hiccups after I eat and I never addressed it with my surgeon but it's good to know there are others who have had this and can identify with me. I am 2 years post op coming up this May and I am still finding things out about my body I still struggle with what I can and cannot eat because my body will definitely let me know when I'm eating something that I am not suppose to eat. I have to always remember to slow down when I eat so that I won't feel over full and bloated so two or three spoonfuls and then sit a few minutes to see how my body will react and sometimes that's enough for me depending on what I am eating. I still eat soup a lot because it seems to be the most tolerable food for me.

I just started the liquid and puréed part of my post op diet. How do I know when I have had enough? I feel stupid asking this question. I had 3 tbsp off cream of wheat made with skim milk and protein powder. I left it at that because I heard if I feel full I ate too much. Please help all wise WLS alumni !!!!

Two days post op and I was still in the hospital. I had to stay a whole week because I had a bit of trouble with nausea and vomiting and they would not let me go home until I was able to tolerate liquids for a whole day so that I wouldn't dehydrate. Listen to the others they all have great advice. If you are still not sure ask your nurse navigator or your surgeon. Good luck and keep us posted.

TillieS

I hiccup too. That's my stop alarm. To actually feel full is very uncomfortable. Now that I'm three months out, I know about what I can eat and recognize it visually, so it's not so much of an issue.

Definitely measure in the beginning or atleast use smaller dishes and be very aware of how much you're eating while you're eating. Remember to take small bites, eat slow, and like others have said wait a few minutes in between bites. For me from early on post-op to now (14 months post op), the full feeling doesn't happen until its too late. By the time I get the "full feeling" its when I have discomfort or indigestion from eating alittle too much. After awhile you become use to certain things and how much you can eat of it WITHOUT going too far. Also, something that happens to me (as well as my mother in law who is about 7yrs post op), our noses start to run when we get to that "full-point".

Back