• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Help! I need low Carb/high Fiber & Protein meal ideas

Gr8k8

I'm now monitoring my Carbs along with the Calories, Protein, and Fiber that I've journaled for the past 12weeks post op. I'm trying to get the recommended 25 grams Fiber, >1000 Calories, >60 grams Carbs, and <60 grams Protein everyday. This has proven to be a big challenge for me so I'm reaching out to all you fabulous cooks and foodies to share your recipes and ideas. I'd rather accomplish this goal through food rather than supplements. Anyone have any recipes they'd like to share?

I'm now monitoring my Carbs along with the Calories, Protein, and Fiber that I've journaled for the past 12weeks post op. I'm trying to get the recommended 25 grams Fiber, >1000 Calories, >60 grams Carbs, and <60 grams Protein everyday. This has proven to be a big challenge for me so I'm reaching out to all you fabulous cooks and foodies to share your recipes and ideas. I'd rather accomplish this goal through food rather than supplements. Anyone have any recipes they'd like to share?

I think you have your less than and greater than symbols mixed up. You need to get >60grams of protein each day. I hear that many woman are told to even get as much as 80 grams per day like males have to do. I get 80-90 grams of protein each day. I also believe you meant <1000 calories per day or "less than 1000 calories per day. My surgeon told me to stay under 1200 calories per day.

The most important thing you must do is get your protein. Most of us in the early stages of weight loss must use protein shakes or drinks. I use Isopure grape protein drink. I like the taste. Some people don't like it. I have also used Premier Protein shakes. These shakes make sure you get the amount of protein you require. In the early weeks/months of post op it is difficult to get enough protein via food simply because you have a hard time eating a lot of food. That is why we rely on protein drinks/shakes.

The critical factors are getting the protein required while staying under your 1000 or 1200 calorie per day goal. I am assuming you found a good journaling tool and it includes analysis of all the foods/drinks you are consuming. I use www.caloriecount.com. It is an excellent online tool with a great community of users.

As far as carbs go, I generally find myself consuming 60 to a 100 grams a day. I agree lower carbs make for quicker weight loss. In fact, we all experience weight plateaus and you will too. After you have lost a good amount of weight you will experience plateaus as well; probably you have already.

For example, this week I needed to bust a plateau I was stuck in for 3 weeks. So I mixed up my daily intake by going to precision. I used protein drinks and weight loss shakes for the last couple of days and a few morsels of food such as 3 hard boiled eggs. This assured my accuracy in terms on what I was consuming and bingo I broke the weight plateau.

Fiber is something that happens after time. I am not sure you are ready for fiber. I only recently was able to start to eat salads. Initially, it was difficult. It is getting easier. I resorted to Metamucil in the meantime to get some fiber in.

I hope I have helped.

Ralph

I use a lot of sugar free super chunky medium salsa when slow roasting pork loin, chicken breasts and fish..

For boneless pork loin or boneless/ skinless chicken breast, I will season with garlic powder, oregano, salt and pepper, dump a jar of salsa on it and wrap tightly in several layers of foil and roast in a slow oven @ 300 for several hours. Once it is done I let the meat rest undisturbed for about 30 minutes. Once ready unveil and serve up with either you fruit, veggies or complex carb.

I will season both meats above any various fresh fish filets leaving the salsa off and then grill them till just done.

You can make a Wendys Version of Chili sans sugar.. You get you protein, veggie and complex carb... Make sure to use sugar free and do not add the sugar.
My surgeon and nut both agree that a small, 1/4 cup serving is awesome

http://www.copykat.com/2009/03/28/wendys-chili/

Hi Gr8k8, I have found that butternut squash and turnips have fiber and you can find them frozen in boxes and they are great(if you like them). Also beets, I like pickled beets and find they add flavor and fiber to some blander meals. Peppers and onions, sauteed, are great on many things just cook them until soft. Most of your veggies and fresh fruit are high in fiber. Good luck! Try them out slowly to see how they react to you.

Wow you all are great. First off you are all so helpful.
Thanks Ralph I did get my greater than an less than symbols backwards. I have been able to get more than enough protein in each day for a long time but I do have and like Isopure Grape. I can't stand whey protein. Protein is my first choice of food. Peanuts settle my stomach although I take Ursodiol to prevent gallstones, the peanuts help, so I eat 1 to 1.5 oz peanuts a day. That's 160 cal, 4 grams fiber, 6 grams carbs, and 8 grams protein. So it packs a big punch, no comment on the fat. :-/
StinkerBelle your recipe sounds yummy. I will definitely try that over quinoa maybe for more fiber with asparagus. I have the problem that I can only eat mybe 3 asparagus spears and I haven't tried quinoa yet but I can't even eat 1 teas pone of brown rice without throwing up, which is such a bummer cuz usually all the protein goes with it too and I don't know how to calculate the amount of intake when that happens. :(

JanB. I love pickled beets! What a great idea, I'll try them. I like squash especially butternut, but I don't really know how to cook it. Do you have any recipes you could share?

Thank you all for your help.

Also you may want to look at lentils and beans. One of my go to dishes early on was low fat re fried beans. If you want some good recipes you may want to try the following blog. http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/

I eat things like chili and high protein oatmeal for fiber. It seams that fiber is very hard to work into the diet early on and I for one still have issues with the repercussions of low fiber.

Good luck

Have you tried Morningstar veggie burgers? Very tasty, high in protein and low in carbs. They are in the freezer section of Walmart and Target.
Also, any of your meats will be high protein/low carb--- chicken, turkey, tuna, salmon. I would avoid quinoa right now if you are trying to reduce carbs. It is very high in carbs. A tradeoff for the other wonderful benefits it has. If you want, I'll send you recipes for quinoa and black beans, stuffed peppers with quinoa, and breakfast quinoa.

Also you may want to look at lentils and beans. One of my go to dishes early on was low fat re fried beans. If you want some good recipes you may want to try the following blog. http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/

I eat things like chili and high protein oatmeal for fiber. It seams that fiber is very hard to work into the diet early on and I for one still have issues with the repercussions of low fiber.

Good luck

Thank you Cal,

I just bookmarked the website you recommended. I'm trying to get the most fiber for the least amount I can.

I just found out that artichokes pack 10 grams! of fiber into one large choke and is only 70 calories dipped into a good Balsamic vinegar they are delicious and filling, 2-3 oz fish and .5 cup raspberries and I just packed in 175 Calories, 14 grams Fiber, and 25 grams Protein and that comes to 7 grams Carbs. not too bad.

I'd like to find more combinations like that. Hopefully your new website will help. Thanks so much.

Have you tried Morningstar veggie burgers? Very tasty, high in protein and low in carbs. They are in the freezer section of Walmart and Target.
Also, any of your meats will be high protein/low carb--- chicken, turkey, tuna, salmon. I would avoid quinoa right now if you are trying to reduce carbs. It is very high in carbs. A tradeoff for the other wonderful benefits it has. If you want, I'll send you recipes for quinoa and black beans, stuffed peppers with quinoa, and breakfast quinoa.

Hi Karenina,
I'd love that. I bought quinoa and tried it once boiled in lo fat chicken broth, liked it, but haven't had it since my surgery 12/02/13. I really don't know what to do with it, I hadn't checked out the carbs.....yikes 31 Carbs for only 3 grams Fiber? You're right forget quinoa. I gotta find something better than that. Any suggestions?

Hi, Glad you like the pickled beets idea! As for the butternut squash there are two ways I prepare it. For a quick meal like tonight, in fact, I buy Bird's Eye Southland in a square small box and you just heat it up in the microwave or I buy the fresh squash already cut up into chunks in the vegetable area and boil it, water to cover and a little salt, till soft and then mash with a fork with or without lo-fat spread. Yummm! I make this at all the holidays. Southland also has turnip in the same kind of micro box. I find that adds a lot of flavor to a meal. How long are you post-op? I love the idea you shared about artichokes! Will try......

Hi, I'm 2 months out and sometimes I don't feel I can stomach a whole meal or a protein drink. So I buy Unjury unflavored protein powder and international coffee low cal iced coffee in the carton. I put a cup of iced coffee, a scoop of protein powder and 2 teaspoons of benefiber in a shaker cup. Shake well and it's so tolerable and delicious. You can use this protein power in so many things. 21 grams but make sure its not over 140 degrees or the protein degrades.

Last edited:
Back